Thread: Ivashak in August

Default Ivashak in August

Hey Guys,

My 3 buddies and I are planning a float hunt on the Ivashak during the last week of august. We talked to Mike from 70 North and got the fly out logistics covered. We will be flying in and then taking out at the highway.

Ive heard mixed reviews about this place; some people say the trip is awesome, others not so much. Seems that the value is unbeatable, especially if the party loves to fish.

Here are my questions:

What are your recent experiences with this river?

Ive heard and read talk of rowdy airboats and wheelers. How far up river should I expect to see them?

How many hours has it taken to float? Ive heard anywhere from 30 to 45.

Ive also read that selective pressure has pushed the caribou away from the drainage in recent years. Any thought on this?

Thank you for any input.

Tight Lines,

Emmett

I've floated the river twice in early August. Both trips were fantastic. The second trip had far less caribou due to warmer temps keeping them on the cooler, windy coast attempting to avoid the bugs. Spend almost all of your time in the mountains and just use the bottom 2/3rds of the river to fish and save the cost of an air taxi pickup. The hunting is tougher downriver in my opinion due to the caribou being able to move wherever they want. In the mountains they are stuck just travelling either side of the river canyon. Plan on spending 24+ hours floating from put-in to takeout.

fb10.jpgfb18.jpg

Just Thought I would chime in on the thread. Its been a while since I have posted been busy with a 15 month old. I floated the Iv this last summer with a few guys and had a great trip. Lots of great fishing. Hunting was much harder. I recommend that you dont get dropped off to far up river. We realized after the first day that we were in a little over our head and should have been dropped off about 15 to 20 miles further down river. Anyways, we did use 70 north. They were good guys buy we waited 3 days to leave after we arrived in Happy valley due to overbooking, aircraft maintenance, or reality shows taking priority over us. I will say that they put us up in very respectible living quarters and fed us some good ol Wolf chili ( J/K ). I dont want to complain about them because I did have a good hunt/fishing trip and I dont know want to assume that they were being lazy. PM me for questions. I learned alot of good info from birdstrike, so I thought I would pay it forward.

Longkj

Great char pic. 'Bou and bear are excellent too.