Thread: Traeger grills...worth the $?

Default Traeger grills...worth the $?

Anybody have one and feel they are worth the $?
    Are they that much better than a regular old grill?
    Thanks,
    BK

By no means an expert and still learning all you can do with it, but absolutely love mine. I'm sure there are other grill/smoker combos out there, but nothing but good things and good food as far as I'm concerned.
    I actually have 2, and while it is not a necessity, the digital temp control is nice. If you register w/ the web site, they frequently have specials and sales and you may be able to save a bit.

Check out Green Mountain Grills. I've got one of the original tailgator models that was built in Oregon. About 12 yrs ago The new ones are made in China

My father in law had one of the Traeger grills and I was really impressed with the flavor of the food. I would have liked to have bought one but they're a little on the expensive side for me. The electric power gets me too because I like it to be mobile without dragging a generator. But Costco just had the Traeger grills and pellets in last week. That would be the place to pick one up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hey BK! Definately worth the $. My Traeger Jr. is probably one of the best things I ever bought. Turn it on and in 5 minutes it is already up to cooking temp. Makes the juiciest chicken and steaks of any grill Iīve ever used. The best thing about it is the flavors of wood pellets you can get and the indirect heat. No more flames! Itīs also good because it is easy enough for my wife to use it when Iīm off working. She doesnīt have to worry about lighting charcoal and all that mess anymore. Just add pellets in the hopper and turn it on. They last a long time too. I donīt have the specs in front of me, but it seems like it only burns 300 watts for the first minute to ignite the pellets and then it drops down to 100 watts which is nothing. You can hook up a small inverter from a 12v battery or to run that for a long time.

If you want a good smoker, try the Big Easy Infrared Smoker. I smoked some salmon in it and it turned out awesome. It comes with a meat probe that you can program for whatever you are cooking. For example if you are smoking a ham, insert the prob and set the desired internal temp and the smoker will automatically turn off when the internal temp reaches the set point.

Yes. Worth the cash. If you do buy one, get the one with the digital thermostat, or retrofit a digital thermostat into the cheaper Jr. or Lil Tex.

I've had one for about a year now. The initial cost is pretty steep, but after a year of use, I think it's worth it. I've made some excellent brisket, fish, ribs, pulled pork, and Thanksgiving turkey on the Traeger. It took me a while to figure out how to BBQ on the Traeger, but once you figure it out, it's awesome. Definitely allow more time than you think you'll need, especially in the winter - low and slow is the key.

I do find that grilling is different than barbequing with the Traeger. I still use the grill for hamburgers and steaks. I use the Traeger for low and slow such as roasts. I also recommend the digital thermostat.