Thread: 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 wont start.

Default 2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 wont start.

The panel will light up but when I turn the key over it does nothing, doesn't turn over or click or make any noise. I tried changing out the solenoid but that didnt work. It will start if I arc the solenoid with a screwdriver or something. Any ideas as to what my problem might be? Thanks

I had this problem on my 08, it turned out to be a broken wire in the handle bar cluster. What a pain in the butt to fix. Pull the cover off your head light/handle bars and look for a broken wire.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Always start with the basics...make sure your battery is charged. Make sure the kill switch is off. Make sure you have good connections for the battery, starter and ground. Make sure you don't have a blown fuse. Then, check to see if you can get it to start by pulling/coasting and pop into gear...all these are first items in my book...then I delve deeper.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Mine is acting up too. Had an issue last summer where it wouldn't crank, and I couldn't get it to start with the pull rope. Then after messing with it a while, it fired up with the starter. Been sitting in my shop with a battery tender on it. I turn the key on, and everything powers up. Winch and lights work. No crank.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The starting circuit is a very simple circuit to trouble shoot using a VOM and some basic trouble shooting knowledge. It is also a circuit that depending on the problem could go from not working to a intermittent problem. I'm not saying that will happen but it could. If you never done any trouble shooting you might find a friend to help.

If you don't have a schematic for your ATV, go to the shop you bought it from and have them print one out. It just a matter of following the yellow brick road.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Mine is acting up too. Had an issue last summer where it wouldn't crank, and I couldn't get it to start with the pull rope. Then after messing with it a while, it fired up with the starter. Been sitting in my shop with a battery tender on it. I turn the key on, and everything powers up. Winch and lights work. No crank.
    Have someone try to start it and you hit the starter with a hammer. If it starts it a bad starter. You should be able to find a rebuild kit on line or a new starter

I have a 05Sportsman 500 and have had similar issues starting mine. Once it was bendix,simple fix by pulling off the recoil and replacing the bendix. Second time ithappened I just took the bendix out and clean it up and it worked. I think thecause of this was water/moisture getting in through the pull start cord hole.Now the starter is gone and I have to pull start it or tap the starter to getit to fire up.