Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook Inlet Candy lures ROCK!

Default Cook Inlet Candy lures ROCK!

Just wanted to Kasilofchrisn a big THANK YOU for sending another batch of awesome lures.
    Cook Inlet Candy.jpg
    If you don't have any on your boat, your missing out.
    The big green ones on the right are deadly for big lings.
    Look forward to hammering on some butt and Lings next summer!

BK

Were can a guy pick sum up.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Got a little package in the mail last week as well. Fishy looking lures for sure. Spring is right around the corner isn't it?

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Just wanted to Kasilofchrisn a big THANK YOU for sending another batch of awesome lures.
    Cook Inlet Candy.jpg
    If you don't have any on your boat, your missing out.
    The big green ones on the right are deadly for big lings.
    Look forward to hammering on some butt and Lings next summer!

BK
    You mentioned linking those jigs but mentioned wanting a smaller size.
    Since you already have some 25oz I figured you needed to try the 20oz and 16 oz versions.
    I know they will work well for you.
    I also mentioned getting you some rockfish sized stuff and I am a man of my word.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Were can a guy pick sum up.
    I make these jigs in all different styles and sizes.
    Give me a month or so to get moved into my new house and shop.
    By then I should have the paperwork in to legally sell all the jigs I want to.
    It was a hobby but I realized I could not continue to post pics and discuss jigs without selling a handful.
    The fish like them and so do the fishermen apparently.
    So once I get moved into the new place and the paperwork in so uncle Obama can collect his 10% and the borough their tax share I will be making more jigs for sale.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Default Cook Inlet Candy lures ROCK!

Sweet let me know. I'd like to try them out.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

One side of me says don't tell a soul how good they are at catching fish.....the other side say Chris needs some recognition for making such a good product locally. Guess the good side won out!
    You owe it yourself to try them, they are the sh*t!
    BK

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys for your kind words!
    My original intent was to make some jigs for myself and my family and friends as a hobby.
    As it turns out a lot of people wanted to fish the jigs I make and I realized I could only give so many of them away for free.
    Jig making is a fun hobby for sure. I enjoy making the jigs as well as experimenting with different colors of powder paint and ways of applying it.
    I started adding things to the jigs like the super glow powder paints and UV blast clearcoats that the fish seem to like. I really like being able to make these jigs how I want to and to be able to have a product that is as good or better than many store bought options.
    Especially when you consider the sizes of jigs we use in Alaska.
    I always try and use as many American made components as possible and not sacrifice quality for cost savings.
    Awhile back I got into CNC machined molds versus the much much cheaper sandcast versions And I can tell you some of these new molds are amazing. Yeah they might cost 8X-10X more $$$ but if I can offset the cost by selling a handful of jigs it will make it all worthwile.
    I always seem to have something new in the works or new molds on order.
    I look forward to seeing everybodys fish pictures next summer.
    Chris

Nice looking jigs. Be sure to keep me in the loop when you finally get up and running. I can use all the help I can get. Just ask Spoiled one. Congrats on the new house as well.

Can you PM me on how to pay Obamie only 10% ?

Charterboat Operator

kchris, ditto w/ patrick, i will be glad to put some of those heavy ones on the boat, would even get some of the rockfish ones as well. let m eknow when you are back into production, i can stop by w/$$ and pick em up on one of my trips down.
    thanks
    PB

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Can you PM me on how to pay Obamie only 10% ?
    As a "manufacturer" of fishing tackle I have to pay 10% on all sales in federal excise taxes payable quarterly submitted with IRS form 720 no exceptions. And there is not a hobby level either. If you make tackle and sell it you must pay federal excise taxes.
    That is in addition to any other taxes I have to pay.
    So it isn't Just 10% it is an ADDITIONAL 10% on top of everything else payable quarterly and submitted to the IRS. Or you get your arse in trouble.
    Hope this clears it up for ya.

Is that part of the Dingell Johnson Act otherwise known as Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act? If so it goes directly to fund state fish restoration and management plans and projects. Just curious if it's that excise tax or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Is that part of the Dingell Johnson Act otherwise known as Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration Act? If so it goes directly to fund state fish restoration and management plans and projects. Just curious if it's that excise tax or something else.
    No it is not part of the Dingell Johnson act.
    Because I am turning raw or scrap lead into something completly different I am considered a manufacturer of fishing tackle. Just like Goodyear manufacturs tires out of rubber and steel. So I have to pay federal excise taxes just like they do.
    Your local auto mechanic who mounts your tires puts parts together to fix your car so he hasn't manufactured the car or the tires.
    They treat all Tackle manufacturers the same whether you make and sell 10 jigs or 10,000,000 jigs.
    1 fishing rod or 1,000. Though all things are different in their percentages you can google the IRS form 720 to learn more.
    The excise taxes I pay will go directly to the federal goverment and does not get used to fund any fishing projects. At least not directly though who knows what they will spend it on.
    It is an excise tax and says so right on top of the form. Here is a summary direct from the IRS website.

Form
    (Rev. April 2013)
    Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return
    Department of the Treasury Internal Revenue Service

Sport fishing equipment(other than fishing rods and fishing poles) (IRS No. 41). The tax on sport fishing equipment is 10% (.10) of thesales price. The tax is paid by the manufacturer, producer, or importer.Taxable articles include reels, fly fishing lines (and other lines not over 130pounds test), fishing spears, spear guns, spear tips, terminaltackle, fishing supplies and accessories, and any partsor accessories sold on or in connection with these articles. See Pub. 510 for acomplete list of taxable articles. Add the tax on each sale during the quarterand enter the total on the line for IRS No. 41.

You know people often wonder why something like a simple fishing jig cost so much.
    Taxes like this are one of the main reasons.Shipping cost for components to Alaska is another reason.
    I enjoy making these jigs. I wouldn't mind selling a few for cheap just so I could make more and cover the cost of the ones I sold and I would gladly do so if the IRS had a hobby level that didn't require taxes. Unfortunately they do not.
    I still give quite a few jigs away to people to try or for people to test and report on.
    But the reality is selling stuff under the table will eventually catch up with you.
    Anyway I am looking forward to making more jigs. I am also looking forward to purchasing some new molds of stuff I really like that I have recently seen become available.
    I can't wait for next summer and getting out to try some more of my own jigs.

Chris,

keep all of us in the loop on when we can order a few of your jigs.

I look forward to getting some of your "heavy" stuff

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    Chris,

keep all of us in the loop on when we can order a few of your jigs.

I look forward to getting some of your "heavy" stuff

Chris
    Just how "heavy" are you looking for?
    I would venture a guess I make heavier jigs than most anybody else.I was tempted by a 48oz bullet head mold but decided to pass since I already make them up to 32oz.
    I 'll make sure and let you know when I get into my new shop and fired up. Looks like at least a couple more weeks just for the house stuff probably 3 weeks minimum for jigs.
    I also have some new ideas for jigs in the works. Stay tuned to the forum I'll post more pics when I get some ready.

Nice looking jigs. What's the biggest hooks you can put on one to lessen the chance it'll be a rockfish grabber?

32 oz is what I have been looking at.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Nice looking jigs. What's the biggest hooks you can put on one to lessen the chance it'll be a rockfish grabber?
    Depends on the jig.
    Fixed hook Jig molds are kind of limiting. You can usually go up or down one size but thats about it. Unless you modify the mold of course.
    Jigs with eyes and no hooks the skies the limit. I can add whatever you want. Either via split ring on the bottom eye or rigged assist style with a solid ring and a split ring on the top eye.
    I make my own assist setups using 200# or 300# Kevlar line made by Western Filament the same guys who make Tuffline braid. American made split rings too.
    It takes a little longer if I have to order special hooks. I usually run 4/0 on the smaller stuff and 8/0 on the bigger stuff But I do have some 10/0 hooks I planned to use for assist setups in my jig room.
    I bought a few thousand 4/0 and 8/0 hooks for assist rigging at a really good price so I use a lot of those sizes and they seem to work well.
    The torpedo jigs come with a pair of 8/0 stainless Eagle Claw American made fish hooks.
    Bullet heads are usually a 10/0 or 12/0 depending on size. In a mustad 3407 or a 34081
    The squid heads start with a 5/0 for the one ounce and go up from there to 10/0 for the 16oz in the horizontal fixed hook squids in a mustad 3407.
    I wish Mustad hadn't moved their production to China but nothing I can do about it.
    The other three eye position squids(horizontal,vertical and forward eye horizontal) have free swinging hooks of any size you want.
    What size hook do you usually use or should I ask what would you prefer on a jig?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast