Thread: Late Season Bear Hide

Default Late Season Bear Hide

So I was talking with a couple buddies about going out to get a late season blackie. They asked me what I wanted to do with it and I said a rug from the hide. Both of them suggested waiting til spring because a hide this late will have the rear end rubbed off. I guess I don't understand the idea behind that. If they are trying to stay warm wouldn't a thick cost be better? Just trying to learn a little here.

Most places you can kill more than 1. Ck the regs. If you can kill multiple bears go get one now. If the hide isn't good the meat will still be tasty!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Not always, I've seen black bears this time of the season with great hides. Its hit or miss, Your gonna look them over good anyway if your huntin' for a rug. I tell you right now some Brown bears have superb hides in the late fall.

i'm no great authority on black bear, but i see enough of em every year throughout the year to know that a late fall blackie can have nearly as nice a hide as the best spring bear (least from my observing them in the field and of the ten or so i've been apart of killing)......just like a brown bear. cant think of any reason why they'd be actively rubbing themselves in the late fall as a general rule.

and don't forget that in the late fall they are the fattest that they will be. they lose weight during the winter while they are hibernating. I love hunting late season grizzles because they have the full lush hide and also the ability for the spot and stalk. just my 2 cents. let us know if you score on a blacky or 2 cause GOD knows I tried and didn't see not a one. good luck hunting!

I have been around a fair number of fall bears and never seen one with a rubbed hind in, wonder where you buddies got that idea from? The only rubs I have seen are in the armpits due to them walking.

My biggest bear with an amazingly thick hide was taken in the fall.
    Go get one, you won't be dissapointed.
    BK

Just think of a spring bear hide before it's been slept on for months....

They're beautiful....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've taken a few fall bears and have yet to witness the problem you describe. I would go for it and just look over the bear before pulling the trigger. I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck.

I just took a bear in Sunday that was taken this past friday in GMU 14C, solid bear, nice hide.. the skin is much thinner on a fall bear vs a spring bear and much fatter, but the Hair itself was nice.. He opted for a rug.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

If it means anything to you, my spring black bear a couple years ago had it's rear end rubbed straight out of the den. So there you go!

I'd rather have a fall bear for every reason.

I've seen a few spring bears with "bald butts" on the snow pack. They come out of den and set on butt on snow over and over. Hair freezes to snow and pulls some out each time. Same with legs. Get all long hair broken off from "post-holing" if you don't getem in first day or two.

Never in the fall. Typically awesome like 4merguide mentioned....... if you getem right before den-up. Don't have to fret the rubbed spots like spring as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    If it means anything to you, my spring black bear a couple years ago had it's rear end rubbed straight out of the den. So there you go!

I'd rather have a fall bear for every reason.
    It is very common in the spring to have melt water seep into the den and freeze, sticking the fur down to the ground. It then ends up broken off when the bears move while it is still froze to the ground. The crazy spring we had last year would only make this worst. This happens mostly to the rump area.

That said, I have seen some that had terrible fur and the same day see one with wonderfully thick fur.

I have also found that bears from the coastal areas seem to have far thicker fur, when compared to interior bears.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/