Thread: 7mm-08 kimber montana 139gr sst

Default 7mm-08 kimber montana 139gr sst

Hey guys, Have a new kimber Montana and need to put a load together. unfortunately the only powder I have is IMR 4831. Ive been trying to not fight the craze for powder and apparently now I will have to find powder.

luckily I found some 139 gr sst's

What loads have you found for 7mm 08 in a 22" barrel and what powder should I start with.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

That's a pretty slow powder for the 7-08. The IMR Handloaders Guide shows 46 grains and that is a compressed load. I typically would use 4064 for bullets in the 120-140gr and W760 for Sierra 168 HPBT Match Kings. These were shot in a Remington Model 700 with a 24" Factory Varmint barrel. Accuracy was .5 MOA
    http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_rifle.pdf

hopefully i can grab some powder this evening. once optics planet gets my scope out im hoping to be shooting next week. I dont think ill shoot those 168 grainers though but will go to some type of bonded bullet at some point. thanks for the input
    NRA life Member JVJ

I have the same gun & it shoots lights out w/ 145 speer BT & grand slam bullets using varget or 760. With the shorter barrel you'll want a faster burning powder. It also likes the H 380.

I have a Remington 7-08 with a 20" barrel. It shoots well with anything I feed it between 120 and 150 grain so long as it's sitting on a corresponding charge of Varget. No experience with 4831. Shoots 4350 well, too, but I'm now loading 100% Varget.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

put some loads together with 4064 and ended up sending the rifle back to the manufacturer. I got 1.5 inch shots with handloads but didnt get to fire all the rounds. fatory remington groups were the worst ive seen from any of my rifles. Im confident i will be able to get my groups under an inch at 100. Ill post results once i have the rifle and get back in the field.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Sorry to hear you had to send it back. From what I've read you're not the first.

yea, no problem, hopefully they fix it. I did pick up some Berger 139 gr hunter. I will work a load for both. cant wait
    NRA life Member JVJ

Why did you send it back???
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

RL15 or IMR4350 will be your ticket... I use 139gmx in my wifes 7-08 and 120gr tsx in my daughters 7-08.

I've had excellent results with 52 gr RL19 with 140 gr Barnes TTSX. Shoots @ 1/2" groups in my Kimber Montana. YMMV.

Thanks Guys, i have some loads together and still waiting for the rifle to get out and shoot. thats unfortunate since im headed back to PA for deer next week. would have loved to carry around the kimber. The GF will take the tikka and ill have the 300 wby.

I still need to pick up a few different powders to check out. Also picked up some berger's.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Why did you have to send the rifle back?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Why did you have to send the rifle back?
    He said it had accuracy issues. Not up to his expectations.

I'm sure he checked the bedding and scope mounting . . .

Misfiring, accuracy is the least of the worries when it only fires 50% of the time. Im sure kimber will make it right.
    NRA life Member JVJ

When you get the rifle back could you let us all know what Kimber found ? A few years back they had firing pin spring problems and were fixing voluntarily but "good" customer service seems to be a fleeting thing with Kimber rifles, one week it is stellar and the next not so much - I had an extractor break on my last Montana 325 WSM and although they fixed it, it took 3+ months and ended up costing me more than if I had taken the rifle to a smith for repair - I do love those Kimber Montanas but I don't know if I can "afford" them .......

kimber replaced the firing pin and firing pin spring and fired it 10 times. said good to go. have not been able to get out and shoot it to confirm the fix. with shipping it took just over a month to get it back, so not a bad return time.
    NRA life Member JVJ