Thread: knife sharpener

Default knife sharpener

what is the best "field knife sharpener" to use when dressing / cutting up game? i have a small one with carbide inserts, but the angle isn't right for high quality knives and can even damage the blade. generally a 20 degree ( or something similar ) works best for me.

online smith and also lansky offer a portable model, but they appear to share the same carbide inserts but with an unknown angle.

thanks in advance for your help.
    happy trails.
    jh

I use two different sharpeners. One a Lansky (diamond and stones) for getting the correct angle I want and a Gerber ceramic for touch ups in the field. ALL my knifes have the same angle. I'll take the knifes during down time and work the angles really good. Then the Gerber, which weighs next to nothing in the pack is awesome.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I use two different sharpeners. One a Lansky (diamond and stones) for getting the correct angle I want and a Gerber ceramic for touch ups in the field. ALL my knifes have the same angle. I'll take the knifes during down time and work the angles really good. Then the Gerber, which weighs next to nothing in the pack is awesome.
    hi dave; thanks for the information......i checked online and located a playing card size sharpener with small crossed ceramics. is that the one you mentioned, or is there another?
    happy trails.
    jh

That sounds like a great option for sharpeners. I would like to propose that the best option is to have a good quality blade and be careful with the edge and you may not have to sharpen at all in the field! I was blessed to be part of a camp that harvested two moose in less than 24 hours. With two of us working on the moose, we dressed both and never had to sharpen (kinda...).

One knife that is excellent for skinning and light cutting is the Parranta (spelling?) with the replaceable scalpel type blades. We broke a few blades but never had one become dull. We also used some high quality knives that simply maintained the edge (Russel and Cutco).

There is nothing that compares to a good sharp knife! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    That sounds like a great option for sharpeners. I would like to propose that the best option is to have a good quality blade and be careful with the edge and you may not have to sharpen at all in the field! I was blessed to be part of a camp that harvested two moose in less than 24 hours. With two of us working on the moose, we dressed both and never had to sharpen (kinda...).

One knife that is excellent for skinning and light cutting is the Parranta (spelling?) with the replaceable scalpel type blades. We broke a few blades but never had one become dull. We also used some high quality knives that simply maintained the edge (Russel and Cutco).

There is nothing that compares to a good sharp knife! Good luck.
    thanks for the reply!

i too have heard of piranta (?) and know of their replaceable blade system. it's a good idea, but i have some dandy knives that generally work very well in the field. one of my favorites is a marbles blade, another is a fallkniven. this last year i was caught with only a case trapper and managed to quarter an elk anyway, but it would have been nice to "touch up" the blade some.
    happy trails.
    jh

Best field sharpener I have used is called a speedy sharp. They work great

That is it. I have about three of them. Boat, pack and at home.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi dave; thanks for the information......i checked online and located a playing card size sharpener with small crossed ceramics. is that the one you mentioned, or is there another?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    thanks for the reply!

i too have heard of piranta (?) and know of their replaceable blade system. it's a good idea, but i have some dandy knives that generally work very well in the field. one of my favorites is a marbles blade, another is a fallkniven. this last year i was caught with only a case trapper and managed to quarter an elk anyway, but it would have been nice to "touch up" the blade some.
    For the Fallkniven, all you will need is a mini wood backed leather strop, with some green compound on it. As a convex, and with the laminated VG10 or 3G, it sharpens in the field very well with stropping. Elk, moose, deer, antelope, pig... I've cleaned and skinned them all with nothing more. If you don't want to make your own, you can buy them at: http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Strops-C11.aspx.
    For V or flat ground edges, in my case Doziers, I tend to prefer a ceramic rod for touchups in the field.

Buy a Havalon knife and you won't worry about sharpening in the field ever again. I skinned a bear and cut up two moose with just a couple blades.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Buy a Havalon knife and you won't worry about sharpening in the field ever again. I skinned a bear and cut up two moose with just a couple blades.
    thanks grayling; i am familliar with havalon knives...but want to use something with the knives i use now. generally my knives work fine but i owuld like the option to tough up the blade.
    happy trails.
    jh

Yep I skinned and quartered my last moose with my havalon with no issues, love that knife. But if you want a sharpener that works really good and you can put your keys so you'll have it look at the handysharp http://www.handysharp.com/ cost around ten bucks and have a lifetime warranty. Which they really honor, I washed mine is a pair jeans and lost the steal out of it and they sent me a new one no questions asked.

thanks for the tip...i'll check it out!
    happy trails.
    jh

If you are used to traditional stone sharpening, DMT makes an ultra fine diamond hone (red) that is key ring sized. It has a flip over cover that works as a handle. Good for field touch ups. Just a couple strokes and you are good to go.

thanks ray....these are good ideas!
    happy trails.
    jh

ceramic sticks that fit in a case that also put the sticks at the proper angle. this set-up is an absolute must when I'm working over a moose, whether in the field, or processing at home. You can even make your own angled holder by setting up a drill press to drill the holes at the desired angle. use a piece of mahogany, it's light and strong.

can't be beat...it's quick. drop the knife down the cerramic sticks, holding the knife vertical. three swipes on each side. split seconds to split hairs!

or....you can go to Mcdonalds, and ask for a girls happy meal. in there.......you will find a havalon....to further take away your bush-craft ability of sharpening knives the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post

or....you can go to Mcdonalds, and ask for a girls happy meal. in there.......you will find a havalon...
    Lmbo....now that is funny ....

I definitely prefer a sharp knife over a razor blade too...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    ceramic sticks that fit in a case that also put the sticks at the proper angle. this set-up is an absolute must when I'm working over a moose, whether in the field, or processing at home. You can even make your own angled holder by setting up a drill press to drill the holes at the desired angle. use a piece of mahogany, it's light and strong.

can't be beat...it's quick. drop the knife down the cerramic sticks, holding the knife vertical. three swipes on each side. split seconds to split hairs!

or....you can go to Mcdonalds, and ask for a girls happy meal. in there.......you will find a havalon....to further take away your bush-craft ability of sharpening knives the old fashioned way.
    You want old fashion way I have using a stropping board to polish the edges of my knives. But I still like my havalon.

Stropping to a nice mirror finish makes 'em 'bout as sharp as a havalon ...

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....