Thread: Musher's Secret

Default Musher's Secret

Anybody use Musher's Secret to keep the ice balls from forming on their paws? I thought I might give it a try. Thoughts?

I've used it a few times...on the dogs' feet! Mostly I just make sure to trim the hair pretty close down in between the pads.

That's kind of what I thought. That stuff is not exactly cheap either.

And the snowballs may form in other areas as well, depending on the depth of the snow...

Snow balls.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

I've used it to protect my Lab's pads when the snow gets very cold and abrasive. He doesn't get snow balls but his feet sometimes get cracked and he hates booties. If you keep the tin in a cool place (e.g. garage) you can apply a thinner layer than if you keep it inside, which helps make the tin last a bit longer. Also, it keeps the stuff off your floors because most of it wears off in your vehicle or outside.

As a washed up musher, I'll say that keeping the hair trimmed helps some. Most of the hair on my sled dogs feet stayed short or non existant due to how much time they spent on the trail. Some dogs feet have hair that attracts snowballs more than others. Booties are the only way to prophylactically (sp) prevent snowballs, IMO. Even then, they get snowballs at the tops of the booties and it causes abrasions, so you have to stop and pull those off occasionally.

If a dog wont wear booties (almost all of them will eventually accept them if you make them do it long enough to get used to it), the next best thing is to just peel out the snowballs with your hands often. Not that big of a deal and the dog will probably be glad to let you do it. It usually only happens in certain types of snow conditions.

If you want to go a cheaper route, you can spray PAM (the spray cans of cooking oil) on their feet. It wears off pretty quickly. I trim the hair between their pads and I really think that's your best bet (plus, it's free!). Snowballs can be quite disabling. To be honest I don't know any mushers using Musher's Secret. Not saying there aren't any, just that it's not that common.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    To be honest I don't know any mushers using Musher's Secret....
    That's because they keep it a secret.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I bought a bigger container (cheeper that way) still have it and it has been a few years. I split it into smaller containers that I keep in the cars and the dog bag. I'm with AKRrivers keep it in a cooler place. You don't have to use as much and it is less messy to handle. I apply it in the car right before I let them unload to minimize mess. My girls also both have shorter hair in their paws, so I don't trim their hair, but I use it more to keep their paws from getting rubbed wrong/drying out. I've also used it in the south in the summers with the hot asphalt and cement because my oldest has really dry pads. I have also used oil on their pads, but don't like carrying liquid in the cold to reapply because I can carry my little palm sized container of musher's secret in my pocket and I don't have to worry about leaking, breaking etc all over me or my gear.

I just trim both of my setters feet.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    And the snowballs may form in other areas as well, depending on the depth of the snow...

Snow balls.jpg
    Nice looking setter.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans