Thread: RB300/ Russian River Hot hunting spots? or any unit 15 spots

Default RB300/ Russian River Hot hunting spots? or any unit 15 spots

I registered for RB300 which includes all of unit 15 brown bears. I am thinking of making a trip out this weekend and am looking for some sweet hot spots that fellow hunters have had success. I was thinking of hiking past the Russian river water falls and start glassing. I will be using a pse evo so I will need to stalk up on the bear. thanks for the insight

I don't know that you're going to get anyone to give you their hot spot but the Russian River area is a good spot to try. Hunting along the Russian River itself and around the falls is legal but is pretty frowned upon. Just keep in mind its a multi-user area. Move up past the falls to the lake area or the river above the lake. I believe there have been a few bears taken in that area in the past couple years. Decent population of black bears in the hills up by the lake and beyond.

Hunting at the falls and on the lower river is Not legal, make sure you know what is and is not open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

limon32, where are you seeing that it is not legal?

There is a sign at the trail head that will inform you of where it is NOT legal to hunt. you have to be a certain distance from the trail to hunt. I was there 2 weekends ago looking for black bear and it is clearly shown on a map.

I only ask because the regs state closed during Jun and Jul.

Sorry, should have been more clear in my response, state regs allow hunting outside June/July, forest service regulations do not allow hunting within 150 yards of "improved trails", campgrounds, etc. their map includes the lower half of the river below the first lake and 150 yards below the falls, up to the falls. I haven't found that map online but it is posted at the campground.

Doesn't it just plain make sense NOT to leave a carcass close to an established hiking trail ????

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Doesn't it just plain make sense NOT to leave a carcass close to an established hiking trail ????
    Also makes sense not to haul one from the brush into the middle of the road and leave it there yet morons do it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Sorry, should have been more clear in my response, state regs allow hunting outside June/July, forest service regulations do not allow hunting within 150 yards of "improved trails", campgrounds, etc. their map includes the lower half of the river below the first lake and 150 yards below the falls, up to the falls. I haven't found that map online but it is posted at the campground.

Pretty sure the forest service reg you reference disallows discharge of firearms within 150 yards of improvements but does not disallow hunting per se. So bowhunting would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Pretty sure the forest service reg you reference disallows discharge of firearms within 150 yards of improvements but does not disallow hunting per se. So bowhunting would be ok.
    Nope. I believe the fine print in the regs is worded any weapon capable of causing lethal injury or some such. Includes bows.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

That's what I read too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Nope. I believe the fine print in the regs is worded any weapon capable of causing lethal injury or some such. Includes bows.
    Yep, sure enough.

So.....would include all roads on NFS land like Palmer Creek Road and CEA access roads & CEA power-line clearings......???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So.....would include all roads on NFS land like Palmer Creek Road and CEA access roads & CEA power-line clearings......???
    Search

Contact Information
    161 East 1st Avenue
    Door #8,
    Anchorage Alaska 99501
    (907) 743-9500
    FAX: (907) 743-9476
    email: mailroom r10 chugach@fs.fed.us
    Federal Restrictions apply to the Use of Weapons in the Russian River Developed Recreation Site

Release Date: Sep 6, 2013
    Cooper Landing, AK On September 1st, the brown bear hunting season opened on the Kenai Peninsula. The Chugach National Forest and the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge would like to remind hunters of the additional regulations that apply on federal lands in the vicinity of the Russian and upper Kenai Rivers.
    Chugach National Forest, 36 CFR 261.10 (d)

• Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property is prohibited as follows:
      • In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
      • Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.

The Developed Recreation Site in the Russian River area includes all boardwalks, access points, and platforms along the Russian River Angler Trail, including the portion of the Russian Lakes Trail that extends to the Russian River Falls viewing platform as depicted in map below.Hunters should also be aware that these restrictions also apply broadly to all National Forest System lands of the Chugach National Forest.
    Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, 50CFR 36.39 (i)(5)(i)

• Firearms may not be discharged within mile of designated public campgrounds, trailheads, waysides, buildings, or the Sterling Highway from the east Kenai National Wildlife Refuge boundary to the east junction of the Skilak Loop Road.

Additionally, the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge would like to remind hunters that the Skilak Wildlife Recreation Area is closed to hunting of bears, and that a map of closures is available from the Kenai Refuge.
    Click here for a pdf Map of the Russian River Area

I got to looking at the map and the Forest Service is trying to apply their rules even on the Refuge side of the Russian? Wonder how that works...maybe boundaries mean nothing now? Gray area or overreaching Feds?