Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter's first bear!

Default Daughter's first bear!

After years of baiting and having to tell the little one's when I head out the door that someday they will be able to come with daddy,that day finally arrived!I was worried that it might not happen this year do to my daughter having to fly out tomarrow to Arkansas to visit with her mother.I got finally got hit last Saturday at the stand and couldn't wait to get back home to tell my daughter Kayla that we we're heading out the following day to give her a chance at her bear.We left last Sunday from Eagle River about 3:00pm for our 3 hour drive to the stand.Once getting to my parking area I fitted Kayla with her frame pack complete with her .243.Kayla being only 11 is very athletic for her age and was just telling me on the drive up that she was one of the fastest in her class running a mile last week.So I was sure that she could walk the two miles to the stand(mayby even faster then her old man,lol).We approached the stand and could tell it was slammed again.We climbed up into the strand,got out our head nets and books and waited for the sun to go down.About 10:15pm I hear a some loud splashing in the river near by and as we turned around slowly we see a very light colored cow caribou walking right down the middle of the river!We also seen two moose walk with in yards of us that night but had to give up about midnight,no luck.We didn't get home untill 4:00am and that day was real tough on us do to Kayla having school and me having to work.All day it was killing me that Kayla was leaving in two days and the stand was getting hit hard!I got home from work and I asked Kayla if she had it in her to make another run the next evening.After hearing the words "I can do it dad if you can!",I knew we we're in bussiness again.The follwing night was a repeat of the last trip including getting that sinking feeling at midnight that we we're going to get skunked again.I closed my book and whispered to Kayla to start packing up her pack and that we were heading home when right behind her I seen a something jet black SLOWLY comming into the bait.I have killed many,many bears out of this stand but I was so excited that I was dropping things and making so much noise trying to get Kayla positioned that I am surprised tha bear didn't run off.I told Kayla that when ever she felt the time was right to sqeeze the trigger.It was only about a minute but felt like a hour as she waited untill the bear was right under her and then BANG!I seen the bullet hit perfect right behind the shoulder as the bear ran off out of sight.I look down and yelled that she hit it and noticed her crying a little.I asked,"what's wrong?You happy?"She said yes but the gun had hit her in the face.What happend was that she waited untill the bear was so close and under her that she put the gun under her arm pit and was having to strain to find the bear in the scope and got bit.I crawled down with .416 in hand and went looking for her trophy.About 50 yards later I yelled to Kayla to bring the camara and the knives!That night was the best hunt in my 30 plus years hunting and have to admit that I actually shed a tear or two on that long drive home as my little girl layed in the seat next to me,sleeping and a little bit of dried blood on her nose.Hope you enjoyed the story.

Default Congrats!

Steve,

Congrats to you and your daughter! I think my daughter was 11 when she shot her first cinammon and it was an AWESOME day for me as a father! Congrats to your daugther also for being strong and giving it another try! I am thrilled for you both!

Best wishes,

Northway

Congrats, im glad everything worked out for you right before she left to see the mom. i Know how all of that works. but neat story and good luck getting her to hunt something else with you. vance

It brought memories back of my son, now 26 and in the Gulf (Navy) of his first Bou! Your story brought a tear to my eye too! Congrads!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Way to go kid!!!

That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations to you and your daughter. Great to see the young ones getting their first big game animal!

Default good job steve

excellent story

Default Way to go, DAD!

Nicely done, Steve. My 4 1/2 year old daughter keeps asking when she can go and chase bears with Dad. I keep telling her soon, honey, soon. I cannot wait to share those experiences with her and her younger brother. Good times! Life is Good!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thank you,thank you!We are going on three days now on very little sleep.Hate to send her to her mother with a couple of black eyes but Kayla doesn't mind telling the story.By the way,she shot the bear with a .243 and 95 grain federial fusion bullets.The bear ran 50 yards and no more.The only problem I have now is her 7 year old sister is DIEING to go next.Thanks again for the kind words,It sure was a special feeling hunting with Kayla!!

Default Yahoo!

Awesome story Steve! It's always good to here the father and son/daughter hunting stories out there. Especially for people like me who have kid's of their own who are too young to go still but have big hopes and dreams for the future. Congratulations!

Very cool man....good job!

Default Congratulations

Super! Good to see more kids getting involved.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Congrats to you and your daughter, That is one heck of a story and she'll never forget it! ))

Great story, it doesn't get any better than that!!! Thanks for passing the tradition on to the next generation.

What a great way to bond with your daughter! Congratulations to both of you!

Default woohoo!

Your hunt made my day!
    Great job, both of ya!

Frank

Great job. Congratulations to your daughter and you.

Thumbs up

Thumbs up! You Go Girl!
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phil 4:13

Congratulations!!! Great story and she will remember it forever. She will be the envy of her school, Great job. J.

Default Great Job

Congrat's on a good bear, I don't have kids yet, but I still remember my first hunt with my dad. It leaves a memory that won't fade.

PS. Those Fusions are the best factory bullet around!!!

Congratulations to you and to Kayla on the hunt and the success. Too many daughters are excluded from hunts but shouldn't be. The bear rug will go great in her room!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast