Thread: Jber sar

Default Jber sar

From the Trooper Log. What's wrong with this picture?

Case number: ************
    Type: Search & Rescue
    Text: On 10-19-13 at 2111 hours, Soldotna Public Safety Communications Center received a call
    from the JBER Fire Dept. reporting two civilian jeeps with five people on board were stuck in
    the mud flats on base. It was reported they were currently in two feet of water. RCC was
    requested and launched. All five people were rescued and taken to the Hospital on base and
    released. Both vehicles were left on scene and the military authorities are making arrangements
    for their removal.

Not sure what you are looking for with that question. Soldotna is the headquarters for the Troopers, so any call to the troopers tends to end up in Soldotna initially, then they distribute tasks to specific locations from there. Could simply be that the JBER fire department doesn't have the SAR resources that the Troopers do for things like rescues in the mudflats. Maybe I am missing something.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    From the Trooper Log. What's wrong with this picture?
    Nothing. Protocols are in place for a reason.

Eagle River, AK

I'm not sure what you're fishing for BrownBear? JBER is a common civilian recreational location - you get your free recreational day passes at the north gate. There are some extra administrative hoops given the RCC need to communicate with the troopers before they do anything in their own backyard. What did YOU think was wrong with it?

What was wrong? 2 dudes who didn't know better got into a pickle in a place they shouldn't have been to begin with, per base rules and regs.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It was more than 2 dudes. A couple to start with and then their unsuccessful "rescuers" consisted of another couple and a kid.

Aside from violating the base rules by going off road, they drove onto a live impact area where UXO is likely present, and, and, they drove onto the infamous Cook Inlet mudflats. There was a lot wrong with that whole scene.