Thread: .22 mag/ .17 hmr question

Default .22 mag/ .17 hmr question

Alright so I was thinking about getting a new gun for predator hunting. I have been leaning toward a .22 mag but my option could change.
    But my question is: "how hard is it to get ammo for either of these guns?" I mean if I called around the local shops here in Fairbanks and stop by when they get shipments could I get ammo in a month? Or should I keep using my .22 lr for another year?

Thanks

I can find .17 HMR around here pretty easily most days, I saw the first box of .22 mag I've seen in 6 months just yesterday.

I know you didn't ask but .223 is all over the place again and dropping in price again. You could probably get into a used bolt gun for near the price of some .17HMRs.

I have actually seen the new .17 super mag on the shelf too, but no guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

purchased a 22 mag this spring.. got 2 boxes with it from the bloke selling it.. and one other from a friend. HAVE NOT SEEN ONE FOR SALE ANYWHERE SINCE! 17 hmr in Sportsman's weekly. 22LR occasionally
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Ammo comes in to Sportsman's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Usually .22lr is gone by afternoon. I see lots of .17HMR, some .22 WMR there.

A buddy picked me up a box of 22 mag ammo while in Anchorage last week said he stumbled on some at one of the WalMarts
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I have a 17 HMR as well as .22 mag and many other guns as well.
    The .17 has become my go to gun because of accuracy and flat shooting .
    My marlin is a tack driver and in general I'm not that good of a shot except with this gun.
    2550 FPS
    Head shots are the most practical because the gun is so capable and the velocity can tear up stuff.
    There is a new one yet a .17 super mag 3000 FPS but getting ammo is going to take a while.
    Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    Ammo comes in to Sportsman's on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Usually .22lr is gone by afternoon. I see lots of .17HMR, some .22 WMR there.
    Guess I might stop by tomorrow at lunch see what they got.

I have and prefer a .22 mag of those two choices. However ammo is hard enough to find down here in the lower 48, much less up there!

I'd go .223 hands down just because of how popular the round is.... This means ammo will always be in production and available somewhat now that the doomsday guys have run out of money hoarding it all up.

I went with a 22mag. Yes ammo can be hard to find sometimes, but when I do I get two boxes. My Ruger 22 mag really like the Hornady 30 gr V-max round.

I used to have 3 HMR's and now only have one because they just don't kill as well as I'd like. I do have a .17M2 in a CZ 452 that shoots like a laser to 75 plus yds and shoots dime sized groups and will kill fox, coon, skunk and the like with head shots. I wish I could turkey hunt with it.

Otherwise, I use a .22 Mag a lot because it shoots good and kills well if I put it in the right spot. I have 7 of them counting my Savage .22 Mag/20ga.It's a fine round capable of more than the HMR..... IMHO.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.