Thread: What are lowland bears eating?

Default What are lowland bears eating?

I walked a few salmon streams this weekend and it seems the high water has washed all the dead fish out already. I didn't see any bear signa around the streams which got me thinking about what they are eating now if the fish are gone? I suspect berries, seeds, anything else they can get their hands on?

Pilgrims & Those silly wabbits with tinfoil hats.

In the interest of full disclosure, Yes......I do have a tinfoil hat. http://www.dragondaymovie.com/trailer-3/

On a more serious note: There are still a lot of green sedges and grasses around here. Plus the occasional gut'pile.

Find an area of Devil's Club and look for the red berries on top. The bears will mow the tops off by the acre. I have jumped several bears out of these areas in the late fall while hunting small game.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I walked a few salmon streams this weekend and it seems the high water has washed all the dead fish out already. I didn't see any bear signa around the streams which got me thinking about what they are eating now if the fish are gone? I suspect berries, seeds, anything else they can get their hands on?
    were you walking the main branches of the streams? high water will blow the open sloughs out quick and for sure send a good number of the late fall fish downriver...but usually even when the late rains are flooding the banks there will be some quieter, slower back sloughs that will hold some displaced fish. is it mud bottom or gravel where your looking? the mud bottom rivers will spoil for bear activitiy in high water quicker than rock bottom creeks because even if theres still fish there the bears wont be able to see them till the water calms down. i just got through with a couple hunts with extrememly high water for this late in the season. the bears where there (especially the mature males) and they were concentrated in slower spots with rock bottoms that were holding a few fish. it dont take many fish to hold them this time of year. i was observing them eating the entire fish on every catch, and places with just a few fish that were in easy water were holding some nice bears, to the point that they werent moving around much...just brushing up by there little fish holes and feeding periodically...was seeing very little movement up on the tundra where i was at...the berries where there but the bears that were active in the area i was hunting were predominately boars, and they were holding tight with the few remaining fish.

hows your berry crop? i saw a banner year in some areas, but the areas that were filled with those **** foreign moths ( this is the fourth year i've observed these new pests, and have seen dramatic decreases in berry crop where they are abundant)

hard to say what theyre doing in your country...they adapt well with food source changes in my observations and without knowing whats going on with the food sources, its hard to predict where your bears are at. theyre there though...the girls are slowing down at this point out where i was hunting, but as always, the boys are still out looking for that last bit of fat they can put on. its a great time to be bear hunting actually.

good luck...figureing out where they are and why is so much a part of the fun, and the game...

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    Find an area of Devil's Club and look for the red berries on top. The bears will mow the tops off by the acre.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    were you walking the main branches of the streams? high water will blow the open sloughs out quick and for sure send a good number of the late fall fish downriver...but usually even when the late rains are flooding the banks there will be some quieter, slower back sloughs that will hold some displaced fish. is it mud bottom or gravel where your looking? the mud bottom rivers will spoil for bear activitiy in high water quicker than rock bottom creeks because even if theres still fish there the bears wont be able to see them till the water calms down. i just got through with a couple hunts with extrememly high water for this late in the season. the bears where there (especially the mature males) and they were concentrated in slower spots with rock bottoms that were holding a few fish. it dont take many fish to hold them this time of year. i was observing them eating the entire fish on every catch, and places with just a few fish that were in easy water were holding some nice bears, to the point that they werent moving around much...just brushing up by there little fish holes and feeding periodically...was seeing very little movement up on the tundra where i was at...the berries where there but the bears that were active in the area i was hunting were predominately boars, and they were holding tight with the few remaining fish.

hows your berry crop? i saw a banner year in some areas, but the areas that were filled with those **** foreign moths ( this is the fourth year i've observed these new pests, and have seen dramatic decreases in berry crop where they are abundant)

hard to say what theyre doing in your country...they adapt well with food source changes in my observations and without knowing whats going on with the food sources, its hard to predict where your bears are at. theyre there though...the girls are slowing down at this point out where i was hunting, but as always, the boys are still out looking for that last bit of fat they can put on. its a great time to be bear hunting actually.

good luck...figureing out where they are and why is so much a part of the fun, and the game...
    Thanks for all the insight fellas!

We finally got a really good berry year, which we took full advantage of! Actually picked up some black bear hair while picking blueberries, got my out of town family a little excited!