Thread: Did I miss the black bears?

Default Did I miss the black bears?

I've been trying to get a bear for several years now, but I can't ever seem to fine one. I glassed the Kenai mountains from 9am till 2pm Saturday almost every pull out and didn't see a thing. Talked to a forest service guy and he said we were probably a few weeks late. I just figured with the warmer temps that they would still be out. Glassed down hope road also. Anyone have any advice or opinions. I might try up eklutna with my bow this week but I'm not sure if it would be worth the gas. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I've been trying to get a bear for several years now, but I can't ever seem to fine one. I glassed the Kenai mountains from 9am till 2pm Saturday almost every pull out and didn't see a thing. Talked to a forest service guy and he said we were probably a few weeks late. I just figured with the warmer temps that they would still be out. Glassed down hope road also. Anyone have any advice or opinions. I might try up eklutna with my bow this week but I'm not sure if it would be worth the gas. Thanks

Not worth the gas? Eklutna is close to you (given you are in palmer still). They are out still, too warm to stay denned up. Keep on glassin'. Get back in eklutna and you will see bears.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Well, don't feel bad. From my cabin I can glass 4 1/2 mountain faces above timberline, and I have NOT seen one bears up there all summer & fall. And I glass about 3 times a day, weather permitting. I don't have any explanation for my not seeing bears up high, maybe there is still a lot of food down low around here. Keep hunting, they have not denned-up around here. There is still a lot of green vegetation around.

I blew a shot on one almost 2 weeks ago that was out in the open feeding for at least 4 hours, had to hike above the sheep to get to him though. I don't think you are too late, keep working at it. I believe they will stay out till the food disappears.

You are 100% correct about this.

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    I believe they will stay out till the food disappears.

Thanks guys. I heard the blue berries and crow berries were very poor down there this year. Maybe that's why there is noting up high feeding:

Thanks guys. I heard the blue berries and crow berries were very poor down there this year.
    That's the only reason I can think of. We spent most all day Sunday looking as well. Also went all the way down to Hope. Last year I killed a nice boar on a mountainside that we had seen six bears on. Saw bears there everyday. Both a friend and I have been back there early in the spring and 2 and 3 times separately this fall. Haven't seen a one. On my goat hunt I didn't see many berries but hard to tell what it's like elsewhere. But other people are also saying the same thing about the berries. Last year the bears were chowing down on them where I killed mine that's for sure....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It's definitely quieted down the last two weekends. I've been out on day hunts 6 of the last 7 weekends. This last Saturday I only saw one black bear and one brown, the weekend before I saw two blacks. Through September I was typically in pursuit of a bear by 10 or 11 am and saw as many as seven in one day. Climbed three mountains in Sept. going after spotted bears only to have the bears disappear when I hit the top. Finally harvested a small sow on my fourth climb. Spent the last two weekends out with a buddy hoping to get him a bear.

I have a theory, or somewhat of an observation, that the high winds the past two weekends have been keeping the bears down in the alders. Of the four bears I've seen the past two weekends, three of them were hanging down lower in the alders and trees. Seemed they had moved off the open slopes and were trying to get out of the wind. Before the winds blew in I had been seeing all my bears up above treeline.

Bears will be moving about in the alpine until it snows and it sticks. If there's good berries, they'll camp out and chow. If not, they'll move around a bunch and cover a lot of ground... but you'll still spot them. They like fair weather; if its too windy or rainy you likely won't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Bears will be moving about in the alpine until it snows and it sticks. If there's good berries, they'll camp out and chow. If not, they'll move around a bunch and cover a lot of ground... but you'll still spot them. They like fair weather; if its too windy or rainy you likely won't see them.
    thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to head out tomorrow and give it another shot in 14a. I didn't know about them being a fair weather animal so that is defiantly helpful. Ill post pics if I can get lucky.

I didn't know about them being a fair weather animal so that is defiantly helpful.
    Yes, they do love to sun themselves. That's why, in the spring especially, always focus on south facing slopes. Not only because they love the warmth, but it's where they'll find the first tender shoots sprouting up....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Your not alone. I went out of PWS the other day and covered a ton of ground glassing in the boat. Saw nothing on well over 100 miles of shore line. Weather was decent and snow was still way up high. Not sure where they are.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Spent all day glassing and riding saw 4 sets of brownie tracks looked high and low and not a single bear

Buddy of mine spent all day flying over in 16. Couple weeks ago he counted close to a dozen bears, the other day, nothing. I think most of the blacks are getting ready to den. I'm sure a few browns are still out chasin the last of the fish

I also spent dang near 3 days glassin, and didnt see one black bear. Saw one brown way up high, that was it. Btw this was in an area I usually lose count of the black bears I see.