Thread: Pack found in PWS-Greg?

Thumbs up Pack found in PWS-Greg?

We were out in PWS waterfowl hunting this past weekend and I came upon a pack on a beach in one of our favorite duck hunting bays. If you lost a pack and it had a knife in it with the name Greg on it please PM me with a few details about the pack and we can return it to it's rightful owner. We were all interested to see what other folks have in thier hunting packs. This one had quite a few duck and goose calls in it as well as a bottle of Mountain Dew.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    We were out in PWS waterfowl hunting this past weekend and I came upon a pack on a beach in one of our favorite duck hunting bays. If you lost a pack and it had a knife in it with the name Greg on it please PM me with a few details about the pack and we can return it to it's rightful owner. We were all interested to see what other folks have in thier hunting packs. This one had quite a few duck and goose calls in it as well as a bottle of Mountain Dew.....
    Don't know if you have already posted this on Craigslist but might not hurt if you haven't. Very small community here on the forum, compared to the amount of waterfowlers that I run into in the marsh.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I had thought of that but I've had some less than great experiences with CL. Folks from Las Vegas calling to say they were interested in buying my boat and would I be interested in them brokering it for me.... I'll wait and see what comes up here. It was interesting looking through the pack as it contained some waterfowling gear (calls etc) but also some skinning knives and some other gear-bone saw-that looked like deer or bear hunting gear. Hopefully Greg made it back save and sound.

Well I have located the owner of the pack I found and it will be returned to him today. Amazing story. He lost the pack a year ago and after I called him on the phone last night we realized that we had actually met and talked with each other as our boat was leaving our honey hole and he and his buddy were coming in was coming into the bay-a year ago and the same day he lost his pack..... That was the only time in seven years that I've seen anyone else duck hunting anywhere near us. So his pack sat there on the beach for a year and then I set mine down about five feet from his....

Well I have located the owner of the pack I found and it will be returned to him today. Amazing story. He lost the pack a year ago and after I called him on the phone last night we realized that we had actually met and talked with each other as our boat was leaving our honey hole and he and his buddy were coming in was coming into the bay-a year ago and the same day he lost his pack..... That was the only time in seven years that I've seen anyone else duck hunting anywhere near us. So his pack sat there on the beach for a year and then I set mine down about five feet from his....
    WOW. What are the chances...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Michael,

Well this is the second time in less than a year something like this has happened to me. Last spring my wife, my brother, his wife and I were staying on Maui. We decided to take a day and head over to Lanai since my brother had worked there on a pineapple farm way back in the 70s. So we took the ferry across and rented a Jeep and took a picnic lunch to the north end of the Lanai-which is a remote and little visited area. So after lunch my wife and I headed one direction down the beach and my brother and his wife headed the other direction-not a soul in sight in either direction. There was quite a bit of floatsum on the beach and as we are walking along I spot a small dry box-about the size of a deck of cards with money visible. I pick it up and open it and there is $60, a driver's licence, two credit cards and a hotel key card. Long story short-I tracked the guy down by calling his home phone in Washington and getting his cell phone and then call that-he had lost the dry box on Maui while snorkeling off Black Rock-THREE days before we found it. When I called him he couldn't believe that we had found it and it turned out he was still on Maui staying about a mile from where we were staying. Within 30 minutes of me calling his cell phone he was at our door and had his box back... I'm thinking maybe I should just retire and start beachcombing.....

Sometimes its a small world, with decent people. Glad to see you found the owner of the pack I'm sure he was surprised that after a year that the pack was found right where he left it.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

So, tell me, did the post on here help in locating the owner, or did you find him though some other means. Bud
    Wasilla

Awesome story! What did the gear look like inside? Were the knives and other stuff rusty?

Erich
    Good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions...
    http://alaskawaterfowlproducts.blogspot.com/

Well I have located the owner of the pack I found and it will be returned to him today.
    I'm curious as to how you found him...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sorry I didn't include the "how I found him" in my post. I never heard back from anyone on the forum-as Jesse indicated that was a long shot. So I had a knife that had "Greg" on it but nothing else to go on. On Tuesday night I told my wife that I was going to clean up the pack and gear. My two buddies and I had all looked through the entire pack and had examined every item in it and could find any other clue. But when I went to clean it up I noticed some faint lettering on the inside of the main compartment. It was his last name. I looked in the phone book and there he was. I called the number and spoke with his wife who couldn't believe that I had found it and she said "Well that restores my faith in humanity". While I appreciate her statement I'm pretty sure that we aren't in that bad of shape...I'm certain that most of the folks I know would do the exact same thing.

It was very interesting going through someone pack. He had four duck calls, three goose calls, a saw, buck knife, skinning knife, small first aid kit, a fire starting kit, compass, shotgun shells, bottle of water and Mountain Dew, two sets of gloves, a bottle of that dust stuff that deer hunters use to figure out which way the wind is blowings, and a blob of stuff that must have been the remains of his lunch. The saw, first aid kit, shotgun shells, fire starter kit and his lunch were pretty much toast after a year on a beach. What surprised both Greg and me was that #1 a bear hadn't gotten into the pack #2 the tide hadn't carried the pack off. At any rate, it was sweet to return the pack to it's rightful owner.

Sorry it was Monday night that I decided to clean up the pack (this week has been crazy at work-it feels like it should be Friday today!). And to answer the other question about the condition- amazingly the two knives, compass, all the calls, the Mountain Dew , and the pack were in great condition.

[QUOTE=TriIron;1338761 But when I went to clean it up I noticed some faint lettering on the inside of the main compartment. It was his last name.[/QUOTE]

That's quite amazing that you were lucky enough to find that as well......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!