Thread: season finisher... :)

Default season finisher... :)

just got in from the last seventeen days of my season. chased a giant bear with my first client on the first day of his hunt, and then proceeded to get the **** kicked out of me weather wise for the remainder of his hunt...cant win em all, and he went home without a bear. we had the big bear at 180 but i wanted to be alot closer for the shooting and my client just couldnt close to within bear shooting distances with me...he was an older gent and tried his heart out (we literally chased the bear for over four miles...he just wouldnt slow down for anything, and never bedded or stoped for berries...it was like a spring bear, just covering country) but the bear just out walked him. they can do that.

the second hunt went much better and produced one of the biggest bears of my career. i found a 9 1/2 foot yellow boar on the first day of the hunt and stayed on him for three days where he was fishing without any real opportunities to kill him for sure...i stayed back and was able to pattern him. we had good weather and the perfect wind for the set up on the fourth day and id figured out where to be when he came out to feed...he'd done the same thing three days in a row. so my client, apprentice and i had high hopes as we settled down to wait sitting on a bluff above his dining room....we sat all day...nada...

we did spot a nine footer across the flooded river that we couldnt get too, and two undetermined dark colored bears miles away ...but no yellow bear. hmmm. i was begginning to wonder where the heck he'd went (he came out early and then brushed up before dark...an irregular pattern for a big bear in my experience, but nonetheless thats what he'd done for three days in the same spot) right at dark i figured out why...this big dark ten footer had taken his fishing hole evidently, and we were very pleased to kill him for it. we killed him at about sixty steps, very fairly, right along the creek he was fishing.

so there ya go yellow bear...eat to your hearts content. we got him out of your hair. i'll see you next year

here's the big boy:026.jpg021.jpg

it was by far my best season to date...i guided six bears with five of those being over nine foot squared : 9.7, 9.3, 9.7, 9.6, 8.7, and 10.1 in that order... all boars. couple that with a big moose for a client, a meat moose for my wife, a bunch of reindeer on nunivak and (possibly the most important and meaningful to me) a dall ram for the best man i know back in august...my dad.

it was four months of nearly constant hunting, and it was awsome. i wouldnt trade it for the world...i feel super blessed to have the ability to experience this great state from some of its most remote corners, for such extended periods.

i am however: VERY MUCH READY TO GO REST AND SPEND TIME WITH MY WIFE AND DOGS!

hope everyone else enjoyed there time hunting this great state as much as i did this year....

zack

041.jpg073.jpgcouple more...

Awesome job and stories Zach! You indeed had a great season in so many ways. Time to change your avatar to tenfoot! Congrats.

There's a lot of happy moose out there with this bad boy gone. What a monster. Whoever packed that hide out is a monster too. Great job. Enjoy the time with your family now...you earned it.

Sounds like a good year, especially the sheep hunt with your Dad !!

That last big bear was in a nice dry spot, convienent..

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Congratulations to hunter and you Jake, well done. Very handsome Trophy.

What a year! Your clients sure had a great year. Helps to have a productive guide. Sounds like you worked you ass off. Packing out all those bears and skull got to hurt. Is that part of the apprenticeship or do you have to demonstrate that too? I would have him take turns on the pack!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Great season Zack, thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Enjoy your well-deserved time off!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    What a year! Your clients sure had a great year. Helps to have a productive guide. Sounds like you worked you ass off. Packing out all those bears and skull got to hurt. Is that part of the apprenticeship or do you have to demonstrate that too? I would have him take turns on the pack!
    lol...i gave him the head. to this day i've only given one bear hide that i guided to someone else and that was a client that insisted on packing it as far as he could. i could respect that, and i gave it over. he gave it back shortly, but it was nice to see a client have the desire to participate in that part. as for apprentice/packers on bear hunts...they are there to learn...not pack really. packing is needed on moose...not bear hunts. packing a big heavy hide can certainly be brutal, but its a good job ya know. means success. the heavier the pack, the bigger the bear (assuming whoever did the knife work knew what he was doing) and at least for me, its a personal part of the job that i'm not willing to share with an apprentice. not yet anyway. ask me in another ten or twenty years and that might read a bit different

Wicked season hand!

Awesome season Zack. Enjoy the time off, you certainly earned it.

As always outstanding. If you don't need to weld this year I hope you get to enjoy the great winter scenes.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Woops, SORRY Zack for getting your name wrong, I meant no disrespect. Hell of a huge bear.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations to hunter and you Jake, well done. Very handsome Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Woops, SORRY Zack for getting your name wrong, I meant no disrespect. Hell of a huge bear.
    no worries man! i didnt give it a second thought when i saw that....hell i just assumed you got me mixed up with Jake when you were typing, and i figured i could think of a lot worse names to be called if anything it would've been a compliment...at least ya got me mixed up with a hell of a good hunter....

zack

Some sweet bears and a nice write-up, Zack!

Congrats on one heckuva season, very nicely done!

I bet you had some happy clients....

Zack will you let us know what that old 9'6" bear ages at. I'm thinking mid to late twenties.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Zack will you let us know what that old 9'6" bear ages at. I'm thinking mid to late twenties.
    if your talking about that big grizzly i posted in september, i will definitely get back here with the age when and if i find out. he's gonna be super old...i have no doubt. how much past mid twenties a bear in the wild goes is hard to say. he's been sealed and measured by fish and game, and is going through the drying stage right now. we're gonna have him scored officially as soon as the sixty days are up. fish and game got him at 27 1/16 i heard (was in the field again on the next hunt when the bear was sealed so i didnt see it) but that one and both of those august bears i guided (both were very old according to tooth wear, and one of them will proly be the oldest bear i've watched die...my boss and i are betting upper twenties or even older) will be interesting to see the age on. it'll take a while of course, but i'll try to get back with the results if i ever get them.

on inspection after the kill, the ten footer from this thread actually didnt show as much age from tooth wear as i was expecting from a bear of his size(just simply because it usually takes alot of time to grow a bear to those proportions where we hunt) but my boss and i are guessing only mid to late teens. some bears are harder on their teeth than others, but the back teeth and the condition of the ridge on the back of the big canines will usually give a guy something to guess on before the lab results tell the truth. my boss has been pretty good at the guessing game in the past, so i think for the most part we are close in our guess'. you look at enough of them and get some true ages to verify a few, then you start getting a feel for certain traits in the teeth and in the body that normally coincide with certain stages of a bears life.....in other words, just an educated guess.

Yes the bulls and boars thread.I just feel he is 28 and a great bear.

Congrat's Zack on another Banner year. Thanks for taking us along.