Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skilak lake?

Default Skilak lake?

Well if there arent any kings during mem day , my family was thinking bout heading to skilak, not really sure about what all is in there besides lake trout, i know you cant keep rainbows at the moment. Was wondering how you fish in skilak, we have a couple of divers that we'll be using for kings that go anywhere from 20-40ft, how should we fish, what tackle etc, oh and any fishing reports?

No Kings in skilak, you may be able to pick up some lake trout on Skilak or even Hidden lake, Hidden would be your best bet.
    DO NOT go in the Kenai River, there is no motors from the outlet of Skilak to about 5 miles down river until the middle of June. I would hate to see you get a ticket.
    The lower Skilak campground is a great place to spend the weekend. That lake is spectacular when the wind is not blowing, if you launch there READ the SIGNS! As beautiful as that lake is when it is calm it is 10 times more scary when the wind kicks up, and I speak from experience. Watch the afternoon winds and be prepared to spend the night across the lake if you get caught in some wind. It is not worth the risk of a crossing when the wind gets blowing.

So can you use motors from bings up to skilak? just not past that?

How do you fish for lake trout?

Lake trout are generally fished by trolling with flashers and downriggers, however divers would work too. THis time of year though they will be actively feeding on smolt which will be near the surface for the most part. If you have electronics use them to locate the schools of bait then jig in them like you would for silvers. If you don't have electronics look at the shoreline to dictate the structure and where you might find fish and thus lake trout. When all else fails throw out some salmon eggs at night by the campfire.

As for motors, you can't use motors between skilak and the keys untill june 15 to protect spawning rainbows. Its in the regulations I suggest you read them. When I was your age I read the regs every night before I went to bed.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

so what type of lure should i be using on the lake trout?

Launch at the campground, go find yourself a piece of the shore with deep water in front of you. Set up camp. Throw bait out and let pole sit on forked stick .... might want to anchor it too!

It's been several years since I fished Skilak, but I never had problems getting lakers off of the bottom.

what type of bait, and we plan on fishing from a boat with fishfinder... what lures/bait should we use

We always used fresh roe. I never trolled for them, but if I did I 'd probably use a low swimmer like a Krokodile, or a spinner with a weight in front of it 18" or so.

How far should the bobber be from the roe/what size hool

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    As for motors, you can't use motors between skilak and the keys untill june 15 to protect spawning rainbows. Its in the regulations I suggest you read them. When I was your age I read the regs every night before I went to bed.
    Actually the motor restriction is a federal refuge regulation to protect nesting swans. The area covers approximately 3 river miles downstream of the outlet of Skilak Lake.

What akkona said! Read your regs and read the signs. Do not count on the internet forums for regulation information. I am 100% sure you CANNOT drive a boat from Bings to Skilak!!! I have tired to tell you this in a couple posts. The Kenai is closed to motors from Skilak down about 3 miles (I think I said 5 earlier) to Superhole, where there is a big brown sign that has the swan closure.

AKPM, the no motor regulation is for Swans and not Rainbows. It is closed to rainbow fishing right now, but you can fish dollies. Many people fish dollies and happen to catch huge spawning rainbows. It is a loop hole in the law that too many people take advantage of, IMO.

Default winds on Skilak Lake

I have spent lots of time on this lake and I cannot stress the importance of watching the winds. It can go from flat calm to heavy seas in less than 15 min. The winds come off the glacier and down the lake. Yukon is correct. If the winds come up stay on shore.

The lake has some shallow areas on the south side around the islands so if you get over there be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    AKPM, the no motor regulation is for Swans and not Rainbows. It is closed to rainbow fishing right now, but you can fish dollies. Many people fish dollies and happen to catch huge spawning rainbows. It is a loop hole in the law that too many people take advantage of, IMO.

I'd disagree with that but whatever, its closed to any boat with a motor ON BOARD meaning to access it you have a long long row (weeds out the dolly fishermen) Anyhow its in the sport fishing regs...

Default No it is not

It does not say no motor on board, that only applies to driftboat monday. Yukon is right, read the regs. for yourself before ya go, not the forum page!

AKPM, It pretty much says it on the signs that are on the river, Swan closure. Have you ever read the signs?

Sorry AKPM, that only applies to Drift boat Monday's. Here is the regulation for the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge regulations:

(ii) That section of the Kenai River from the outlet of Skilak Lake downstream for three miles is closed to motorboat use between March 15 and June 14, inclusive. However, any boat having a motor may drift or row through this section provided the motor is not operating.

Thats what I get for relying on an internet forum for my reg interpetations.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I have spent lots of time on this lake and I cannot stress the importance of watching the winds. It can go from flat calm to heavy seas in less than 15 min. The winds come off the glacier and down the lake. Yukon is correct. If the winds come up stay on shore......
    Lots of folks have been lost on that lake, including some family friends.

Heed the warnings.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Thats what I get for relying on an internet forum for my reg interpetations.
    Any lawyers with small-print glasses here who can tell us what can and cannot be done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast