Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 practice rounds

Default 30-06 practice rounds

Preparing for the bison hunt, mostly have the kid practicing with ARs........223 and 6.8. Would like for her to get a few shots in with the rifle she will be shooting the buff with. This kid is very recoil sensitive.
    I have been loading Nosler 200 gr for the kill shots, but need something lighter for practice. Not sure how light a bullet I can find locally. I also have 180s I could load with lighter charges.
    Anyone have any experience?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Bud of mine had an ultralight 06 that was eating his lunch. Couldn't hit the backstop with it, he was flinching so bad.

I loaded him up some 125 grain Sierras over a minimum charge of IMR3031 for around 2500 fps. Less recoil than a 30-30 with a 150 at the same velocity, yet it killed deer like lightning out to as far as he shot them, +/- 200 yards. He shot those a lot in practice as well. After a couple of years he had lots of faith in the gun and tried some 180 factory loads in it- The remains of the box that was eating his lunch. No prob then, because he was so accustomed to the rifle and had a half a dozen kills under his belt.

If that's still too ouchy for her, try some 110's over a minimum charge of 3031. Ought to be recoiling less than a 243 with 100's.

Sounds like you have an uphill battle to me. You need to use a 200 gr bullet with enough velocity to kill a bison... and she is recoil sensitive. You aren't going to get her used to recoil over night.

IMO, you have 2 options to avoid a wreck and a bad experience. One is to use a slip on recoil pad. I used this to tame the recoil of a single shot 12 gauge shot gun loaded with 3" goose load, which was a good bit more recoil than my 300 RUM with max loads. I also used it for my 300 RUM shooting from the bench. I shot 50 rounds in one afternoon with that RUM with that slip on and didn't phase me in the least. Could have done 50 or a 100 more.

The other option is a brake.

Either way, I'm assuming you will get a relatively close shot and would recommend a light load for that 200 gr bullet to come out of the muzzle at around 2300 fps. That will help.

Make sure she has the butt tucked into her shoulder pocket firmly. A loose fit will give her a big jolt.

Good luck
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I'm not too worried about the recoil in a hunting/killing situation. I've already got the ammo selected for the hunt. I just want something she can shoot 2 or 3 shots with at the range to be familiar with the gun.
    As I said in the OP, the majority of her shooting at the range is with an AR.

Find some Trail Boss...and make some reduced loads with any old cheap 150s you can round up. Will make some high power rifle noise but have only a little recoil. Perfect for practice with a recoil sensitive shooter. I made some for my WSM with Speer 150s and they're great for practice and for fur.

Per Hodgon- a Max load of 19gr will get you just a bit under 1500fps.They're donut shaped granules so they eat up powder space for good case fill at low charge weights. I could care less about it in big BP pistol cases but for reduced rifle loads it's the cat's meow.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf
    Last edited by hodgeman; 10-20-2013 at 23:22. Reason: added link
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Do a google search for 30.06 reduced and light loads. A lot of info available. Trail Boss was one suggested powder. As I'm sure you know, shooting offhand is a lot easier to absorb recoil than a bench or prone.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Find some Trail Boss...and make some reduced loads with any old cheap 150s you can round up. Will make some high power rifle noise but have only a little recoil. Perfect for practice with a recoil sensitive shooter. I made some for my WSM with Speer 150s and they're great for practice and for fur.

Per Hodgon- a Max load of 19gr will get you just a bit under 1500fps.They're donut shaped granules so they eat up powder space for good case fill at low charge weights. I could care less about it in big BP pistol cases but for reduced rifle loads it's the cat's meow.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Do a google search for 30.06 reduced and light loads. A lot of info available. Trail Boss was one suggested powder. As I'm sure you know, shooting offhand is a lot easier to absorb recoil than a bench or prone.
    I'd agree with that - anything but shooting off the bench. Kneeling over a rest or cross-legged would be good as well. Assuming you're loading your own, if you have the bullets to spare, just load the 200s near the minimum published powder charge for the powder you're using. Minimum loads feel a lot nicer than the usual upper level loads we normally shoot.

Get her one of these..............
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/254...dextrous-black
    They are pretty thin and they do help.......
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I like travelers idea...almost as well as I do the Past pad.

I lost track of your time line. How much time do you have to get the girl ready? If you have enough time left, send me a pm with your snail mail address and I'll drop some bullets in the mail. I've got maybe 10 of 110gr and most of a box of the above mentioned 125 gr. Do you have 150s, 165s, & 180s to work up through?

My Daughter and Grandson were up for Turkey Day a few years ago. I wanted them to pick out a rifle each from the family collection. They did and we went shooting to make sure of their pick. It was almost dark, cold, and rainy. There were 2 adults and 3 kids in the group plus me...less than good conditions to shoot. I only had my match loads and some factory loads in .308. Grandson didn't care for the kick of those loads in the Remington 660 he'd picked. My Father had bought this rifle just before he quit hunting and it'd never been fired. It was importand to me that Grandson be happy shooting this rifle. He came back for a visit that Summer and I loaded up some Speer 130 HP with a mild dose of IMR 4198. Day time, warm, just he and me; much better. Big grin when the gun didn't kick. He shot most of the box of 50 rounds. We didn't have time to do much else, but I think we could have started to up the loads pretty quickly once he trusted the gun wasn't going to hurt.

Let me know if I can be of help.

One strategy to keep in mind-

It can really help if you lie!

Just keep her shooting the practice rounds that she finds most comfortable, concentrating on one-shot "kills" from whatever rest. She'll get into it pretty quick.

Then when the day of the hunt comes around, simply give her the heavy loads and keep your yap shut. Especially if she can get it done in one shot, I doubt she'll even notice the extra recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One strategy to keep in mind-

It can really help if you lie!

Just keep her shooting the practice rounds that she finds most comfortable, concentrating on one-shot "kills" from whatever rest. She'll get into it pretty quick.

Then when the day of the hunt comes around, simply give her the heavy loads and keep your yap shut. Especially if she can get it done in one shot, I doubt she'll even notice the extra recoil.
    That might be a very good strategy. And good chance she won't feel anything with the adrenaline rush. Strapping a pad to her shoulder might get her thinking and worried.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Strapping a pad to her shoulder....
    That would be a good strategy for starting out, especially one of the pin-on models that can just stay on her coat. She'll start to think it's "magic" when it cuts the recoil so much on the practice rounds, but a little magic can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Let me know if I can be of help.
    Thanks for the offer Leonard. Probably better I load some here. Got some speer 130s today. I have Accurate 4350 and IMR4831. I'll just use a reduced load and see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I have Accurate 4350 and IMR4831. I'll just use a reduced load and see how that goes.
    I'd sure use something faster for your reduced loads.

My Speer #12 does not show a load for either of your powders for the 130. (Speer's listed reduced load powder for the 130 is IMR 4198) Neither does the Hodgdon web site. Nosler's web site shows IMR4831 with their 125, but start out around 2942fps. Lyman #49 lists IMR4831 with a 130 starting out about 2686. AA#1 shows their 4350 with a HDY 130 starting out at 2522fps.

Let us know how it goes.

Speer's listed reduced load powder for the 130 is IMR 4198....
    That would be an excellent choice. Most guys don't realize how much powder weight adds to recoil, even in reduced loads. Launch the bullet at the same vel with 4198, 3031, and perhaps 4320, and the 4198 will feel decidedly lighter.

If we had had this thread a year ago, I would go out and buy whatever powder was recommended. Can't do that this year. Neither store in Fbks that carries powder has much selection.
    I loaded 10 rounds each with 38 and 40 grs of the 4831 and the speer 130s. I'll see how it does this week hopefully.

I'm not trying to get down on you...and I'm no expert on reloading...but where did you get the "38 and 40 grs of the (IMR) 4831" data? Seems light to me, but I don't know. The Nosler load starts at 57.5 to get 2942 fps with their 125 bullet and Lyman #49 starts at 57.0 to get 2686 fps {for a 130}. It seems to me a long long way from 57 grains to 38 grains. I just don't know what happens with smokeless rife powder loading below a certain point.

I fully understand the powder/bullet situation. We make do with what we can find. Within limits.

..but where did you get the "38 and 40 grs of the (IMR) 4831" data? Seems light to me, but I don't know.
    I WANT it light! These are practice rounds for shooting at the range. I already have the loads made up for when we go hunting. There are 2 goals here. One is to have ammo the kid can shoot at the range without making her recoil sensitive. 2nd goal is to kill a buffalo. Recoil for the most part is not a concern for the 2nd goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast