Thread: Kodiak deer this year?

Default Kodiak deer this year?

Just got an unanticipated chance to take my boy to Kodiak on a boat based hunt for a few days at the end of October/early November.
    i think we're leaving Kodiak city and coming around the island and back to Homer.
    anybody got a deer report from this year?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Several reports from good hunters that know their areas well. Some really good deer, but often a long climb between them. Guys that hang down low and hunt the same places as the party before them whine a lot, but there are good deer for guys that know how hunt them and know where to look. It's definitely more of a hunter's hunt than a shooter's hike.

Just got back from the south side of the island goat hunting. Three of us spent a week at around 2000'-2500' elevation and nobody saw a single deer.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Just got an unanticipated chance to take my boy to Kodiak on a boat based hunt for a few days at the end of October/early November.
    i think we're leaving Kodiak city and coming around the island and back to Homer.
    anybody got a deer report from this year?
    I would love to hear a report when you return Homerdave. My wife and I are planning to go on a deer hunt next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Just got back from the south side of the island goat hunting. Three of us spent a week at around 2000'-2500' elevation and nobody saw a single deer.
    Any chance you were in an area that typically is not a good area for deer? You said you were looking for goats. Maybe the area you picked for goats is not a good area for deer. Just curious. When I called the bio on Kodiak he said the South end of the island didn't suffer very hard from the snow two winters ago. He said the North end got hit hard but the South end wasn't really affected. Would you mind sending me a pm where you went? I am not going for goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I would love to hear a report when you return Homerdave. My wife and I are planning to go on a deer hunt next fall.

Any chance you were in an area that typically is not a good area for deer? You said you were looking for goats. Maybe the area you picked for goats is not a good area for deer. Just curious. When I called the bio on Kodiak he said the South end of the island didn't suffer very hard from the snow two winters ago. He said the North end got hit hard but the South end wasn't really affected. Would you mind sending me a pm where you went? I am not going for goats.
    South west had deer last year.Not the numbers in the past.Only hunted a few days and 3 of us tagged out.First year in a long time I'm not gonna make it to the rock.As stated earlier if you know were to look for deer you will find them Gonna go to pow this year to try and get my first bow kill buck.

I also deer hunted the SW part of the island last year and did pretty well, but the numbers were definitly down from years past. This year should be better all over the island since this past winter was very mild with little snowfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    South west had deer last year.Not the numbers in the past.Only hunted a few days and 3 of us tagged out.First year in a long time I'm not gonna make it to the rock.As stated earlier if you know were to look for deer you will find them Gonna go to pow this year to try and get my first bow kill buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I also deer hunted the SW part of the island last year and did pretty well, but the numbers were definitly down from years past. This year should be better all over the island since this past winter was very mild with little snowfall.
    Thanks for the info guys. Rep points comin your way.

Shot a decent 4x4 end of august up high, about 2000'. Where I was, there were deer everywhere. Then again it was a spot that very few people will ever go because it was during a goat hunt.

Last year the best hunting was mid november thru late december. Numbers were better than the year prior because of the die-off. Right now there isn't much down low. Saw a few fawns on the beach last week in one of the bays. WE NEED SNOW!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Deer should be responding to rattling this month before they hook up with does, we had a mild winter and saw a lot of deer this summer, they will becoming more visible any day. The next break in weather we will start filling our tags. Good luck out there.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

hijacking...alert

Will the bucks respond to rattling in November?

I will be down there hunting the first full week of November.

Thanks,
    Chris

Default rattling and grunting

AKGUns,
    Yes and grunting too.
    BK

Default Deer numbers improving

Took this buck on a 12 day hunt of nearly endless rain August 1-12. I was on the southwest end of the island and saw reasonable numbers of deer each day including some bachelor groups of up to 5 bucks together. Bucks just a bit smaller than this could be killed any day if you put some miles on the boots and time behind the binocs. I've been to the same place several times before and would say deer numbers are increasing but most of the bucks are smaller/younger than in the past. There were lots of fawns including many sets of twins.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caribouman View Post
    Took this buck on a 12 day hunt of nearly endless rain August 1-12. I was on the southwest end of the island and saw reasonable numbers of deer each day including some bachelor groups of up to 5 bucks together. Bucks just a bit smaller than this could be killed any day if you put some miles on the boots and time behind the binocs. I've been to the same place several times before and would say deer numbers are increasing but most of the bucks are smaller/younger than in the past. There were lots of fawns including many sets of twins.
    Brian
    Awesome buck! It sure is nice when they are lounging up top.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Caribouman, that;s a dandy Buck. thanks for the picture.