Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of plans-still planning

Default Change of plans-still planning

Well I hope everyone is having a great hunting season up in Gods country. Well I got a lot of help when I inquired about diy BB hunt on the Kenai Penninsula a while back. Problem is my partner/partners are reluctant to tent camp in bear country. So what I would like to know (and before you hammer me I'm not asking for specifics) is do the forest service cabins get hammered? Can a guy expect to have a reasonable shot at a bear if he puts in the time (about 7 or 8 days) using one of these cabins as a base?
    Thanks and good huntin
    TH

You might have better chances if you got new partners! Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    You might have better chances if you got new partners! Just kidding.
    Your actually right. The only other way I can pull this off is to rent an RV and come out every night. I wanted to hike in and stay until I was successful or ran out of time. Looks like I may be going this one alone.

The cabins would be a better chance at success than an RV, but a tent off the beaten path is your best chance.

As Antleridge alluded to, partners that are afraid to camp in bear country, while bear hunting, wouldn't rate high on my list of guys I'd want covering my six while tracking a bear into the alders.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    The cabins would be a better chance at success than an RV, but a tent off the beaten path is your best chance.

As Antleridge alluded to, partners that are afraid to camp in bear country, while bear hunting, wouldn't rate high on my list of guys I'd want covering my six while tracking a bear into the alders.
    Point taken. I guess being from non-bear country they are just a little skiddish due to not really knowing squat about bears.

Quote Originally Posted by tex hunter View Post
    Point taken. I guess being from non-bear country they are just a little skiddish due to not really knowing squat about bears.
    There's only a couple things to know about bears that you really need to know..
    1: They are carnivorous (you are made of meat)
    2: You NEED to be able to outrun your fellow hunters. The rest of the logistics are just details.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    2: You NEED to be able to outrun your fellow hunters. The rest of the logistics are just details.
    Exactly! That's why I was wanting at least one buddy along for the trip. If I go it alone there is no one to out run.

I've stayed in a few of the forest service cabins and the bears hang around them pretty much like everywhere else in bear country. You will probably be more successful out of a FS cabin than a road based RV. You may very well see plenty of bears off the road system...heck, spot and stalk off the KP road system is likely one of the more common bear hunts here.

I won't be too hard on your partners...tent camping in bear country can be intimidating and even some experienced backcountry hunters don't particularly relish it. Given my druthers I'd take a cabin over a tent any day for ease/comfort even though tenting doesn't particularly bother me. For a 7 or 8 day hunt a cabin would be way more comfortable than a tent...especially if the weather turns to crap.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Call it as you will.We spent a few days in a tent and the rest of the time in cabins on last falls kodiak trip.Had a hard time falling asleep in the tent and slept like a baby in the cabins.If you hunted the area and seen the bear encounters I've had in the past that bear fence still didn't give me a better nights sleep.But if a tent was only option I'd be going anyways,You get enough sleep when your dead right?!

[QUOTE=Kotton;1336058]Call it as you will.We spent a few days in a tent and the rest of the time in cabins on last falls kodiak trip.Had a hard time falling asleep in the tent and slept like a baby in the cabins.If you hunted the area and seen the bear encounters I've had in the past that bear fence still didn't give me a better nights sleep.But if a tent was only option I'd be going anyways,You get enough sleep when your dead right?![/QUOTE]

LOL! I'm not sure that in this context, this will be any comfort!

I would find new partners.

They do realize all of Alaska is bear country right? I am guessing they don't camp out at all?

They can always buy one of these as stated above just don't get up in the middle of the night and pee on it by mistake

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    They can always buy one of these as stated above just don't get up in the middle of the night and pee on it by mistake

For the first time in almost a decade, we had a boar come thru one this Summer out in Katmai. He wasn't nearly as excited about walking thru it as we where at Zero Dark Thirty......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Three of us once made a nine day summer fishing float trip down the Kisalarik river ending in the Kuskaquim (spelling on both ?) anyways we saw several Bears along the way. Each night we would pick a gravel bar to set up camp. One night the bar we found had lots of tracks. Larry did NOT want to camp there. It was late we were tired not knowing how far the next spot was we said heck this was good. Skip pulled me aside and said don't worry we'll sleep well. about 15 minutes after we get in the sleeping bag I'll jump out fire a couple rounds out of the 12 gauge and yell GET OUT you Bears and Larry will be out all night patrolling with his shotgun and we'll sleep like a baby. Worked like a charm.

I was very nervous the first time I planned to spend the night in a tent in the mountains of the Kenai, by the time we got done chasing a bear and got back to our packs I was so tired I had NO trouble sleeping, actually slept through a few groups hiking past our tent which we put up in the middle of the trail on the side of a mountain because there just wasn't anywhere else and we couldn't go any further!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I would find new partners.

They do realize all of Alaska is bear country right? I am guessing they don't camp out at all?
    Or maybe they camp at Long Lake along the Glenn for their wilderness excursion out of Los Anchorage? :0)

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Or maybe they camp at Long Lake along the Glenn for their wilderness excursion out of Los Anchorage? :0)
    That is a beautiful lake but the location sucks!

I don't think any cabins are shot up here on the kenai, in fact most have more bears than other areas. Get a cabin at or near tree line and there should be no shortage of blackies.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I don't think any cabins are shot up here on the kenai, in fact most have more bears than other areas. Get a cabin at or near tree line and there should be no shortage of blackies.
    Thanks, I think that is the route I am going to take. I have been looking at the ones available and making note of the ones at the higher elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    The one clause to this if you are the slowest, make sure you practice your tripping skills and make sure you are close enough to utilize them if need be.

Rent a cabin but also bring a tent along. a cabin makes for a nice base for that long of a hunt but at least you have the option to make a spike camp if the oppertunity arises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast