Thread: lightweight sling

Default lightweight sling

Just curious what others are doing to build lightweight slings. I need one and some ideas might help. pictures and weights are welcome.
    NRA life Member JVJ

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Just curious what others are doing to build lightweight slings. I need one and some ideas might help. pictures and weights are welcome.
    For light weight a plain leather strap type will do, but they can get wet

A nylon sling is slick' without a non-slip surface sewed onto it.

I use all kinds, but I've never compared weights.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I got a Uncle Mikes mountain sling on my Kimber Montana.

I use a simple 60" nylon webbing on my lightweight rifles...easy to clip the rifle to things that way as well. Like securing it to a raft, but still have quick access to it if needed.

Start with about four foot of good paracord and pull about eight inches through a eighteen inch piece of quarter inch I.D. tubing. Thread cord through both swivel stud eyes and tie knot for lenght needed and cut off extra cord.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I tried all kinds of ways to make a light weight sling and finally decided to just make my own. I have made 3, 1 adjustable and the other 2 not. After having the sling studs cut through many different attachments I also decided to use nylon sling attachments. Have been using these for the last 3 years with no issues. I do tend to mostly carry my rifle from the front or attached to my pack using a Kifaru Gun Bearer.

This is the adjustable one 1 and 1/4 OZs

Non adjustable one, with dots of Aquaseal to help keep it from slipping. Weighs less than an OZ

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, i would love to see your attachments after removing the studs. Im amazed i cant find aftermarket alum/ti studs.

Also how wide of nylon did you use and any tips? I would like to build your adjustable sling and can probably shorten it a little. only really need it for my stalks.

thanks thats what i was looking for to get the imagination going
    NRA life Member JVJ

Steve, i would love to see your attachments after removing the studs. Im amazed i cant find aftermarket alum/ti studs.

Also how wide of nylon did you use and any tips? I would like to build your adjustable sling and can probably shorten it a little. only really need it for my stalks.

thanks thats what i was looking for to get the imagination going
    Not sure what you want to see, the studs are factory.

I used 1 inch webbing. I found that after making the adjustable one, that I never adjusted it after getting it set up, so on the next couple I just made the same length.
    Founding Member

ok, thought you said you played with the studs. where did you get the nylon and plastic thanks again
    NRA life Member JVJ

ok, thought you said you played with the studs. where did you get the nylon and plastic thanks again
    The inch ones..

http://www.opticsplanet.com/outdoor-...131023040731:s

I was talking about not using these and just attaching straight to the studs,, the edge of the stud kept cutting through. For 7 grams, these are hard to beat.
    Founding Member

I haven't made a sling, but there has been a guy at the Sportsmen's Show the last few years selling pure rubber slings. They stretch if you want, are adjustable, and the rubber doesn't slip off your shoulder. I've never wished they were lighter. Love them.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

SO, how much weight can you save with such extreme measures?

Surely, it would be minimal. I suggest, that a comfortable and functional sling is the MOST important consideration.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My current store bought Montana sling weighs 3.2 oz and after I actually get the sewing machine out mine should be similar to the pictures above weighing under 1 oz. that's over 2 oz off the gun.
    NRA life Member JVJ

For the added weight, I prefer a good 1" leather sling that is adjustable, comfortable, and functional such as the Montana Sling. http://www.montanagunslings.com/

I particularly like the adjustable slip knot that allows me to extend the sling such that I can wrap my left arm around the sling and pull the butt of the stock tight into my shoulder to steady the rifle, if I can't find a rest and I need to make a quick offhand shot.

My current store bought Montana sling weighs 3.2 oz and after I actually get the sewing machine out mine should be similar to the pictures above weighing under 1 oz. that's over 2 oz off the gun.
    I'm curious to know how you intend to reduce the weight of a Montana Sling by two thirds?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

just like the pictures from stid i used the Outdoor Connection Brute Sling Swivel 1" and bought 15 yards of nylon both from Sportsmans. I cut to length the nylon so i could sling the gun over my shoulders diagonal and so i can slip it over one shoulder still. After the sewing and a tiny bit of aquaseal it weighed .95 oz as the montana weighed 3.2. When i make a second i wont put the aquaseal on it or i will try a different silcone. THe weights are right. Stid did well as i looked for anything lighter and couldnt do it. i will make an andjustable sling at some point as well.
    NRA life Member JVJ

I was on this same path a couple years ago and made one similar to Steves adjustable sling. I went with tubular nylon since I had some laying around and slim metal buckles for adjustment. I used heavy metal sling attachments though since I wasn't sure how strong the plastic ones were. Instead of the aquaseal I used a synthetic leather strip. Not sure what mine weighs in at but I do know its lighter than my previous sling and less bulky which was my main goal. I seldom use a sling so comfort wasn't a huge factor.

just like the pictures from stid i used the Outdoor Connection Brute Sling Swivel 1" and bought 15 yards of nylon both from Sportsmans. I cut to length the nylon so i could sling the gun over my shoulders diagonal and so i can slip it over one shoulder still. After the sewing and a tiny bit of aquaseal it weighed .95 oz as the montana weighed 3.2. When i make a second i wont put the aquaseal on it or i will try a different silcone. THe weights are right. Stid did well as i looked for anything lighter and couldnt do it. i will make an andjustable sling at some point as well.
    Understood. Constructing a nylon sling, not modifying a Montana Sling. I must have misread your previous statement.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist