Thread: Slow day today

Default Slow day today

Went out this morning and did some calling. Made six stands about 15 minutes each with no luck. No worries though, I learn a little something new every time I go out. Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

A little advice man, give it some time. I'm itching to get out as well but a winter fur is a much better trophy than a fall fur. Most people call for the fun of it but no sense in taking em down while they haven't reached their prime. It's like shooting a moose in July. Yeah there's a rack there but no where near where it could be!

Yeah I haven't been too serious about it for that reason. Just trying to get a feel for some hot spots to call when I get some time off in December. I usually keep the stands short, try to stay super still, and stop calling the minute I see something when scouting to avoid educating them too much and screwing over someone else's chances later on. Mostly did a ton of driving and probably looked like a fool jumping out to check every patch of mud for fresh sign while chasing grouse.

So Not planning on going out for any more scouting/calling cuz I don't wanna spook any game by calling again this early. My question is how long do you all think this sorta chilly weather is gonna take before furs are good?

I'm not an expert but fur primeness is due to hours of daylight not how cold it is. So this chilly weather doesn't make the fur anymore prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool45 View Post
    So Not planning on going out for any more scouting/calling cuz I don't wanna spook any game by calling again this early. My question is how long do you all think this sorta chilly weather is gonna take before furs are good?
    It's your fur man. Don't not go out because you're worried about educating/spooking animals... That's part of predator hunting. The way I look at is this... There's a trapping season for a reason. That's when the fur is starting to prime up. So for me, once trapping season opens, I start calling...

But don't get me wrong... That wolf that's my picture was taken in September while moose hunting. If there's an opportunity to bag one, I'll take it. I just don't go out of my way to create those opportunities...until early/mid November. Lynx are a different matter though... They take a little longer than fox and coyote...

Thanks guys, I didn't know it was daylight that did it, I thought it was time spent in cold weather. There is nothing I would rather do than go calling but I still want some good fur. I wouldn't pass up a wolf if it decided to show itself either AK! I guess I am just chomping at the bit cuz I certainly have other projects I should be doing.