Thread: Affordable trail camera?

Default Affordable trail camera?

I am looking to buy a trail camera for spring bear baiting 2014. I have no familiarity with trail cameras. I have seen some excellent trail camera photos and some super crappy looking ones. My questions is, can I get a good trail camera for under $200 that will perform well? I would obviously like to be able to get low light and night time pictures. Is $200 enough? I feel like I wouldn't want to spend more than that. The only trail camera brand I have ever heard about is cuddeback because it is advertised on almost every hunting show on TV. But it seems they are quite expensive. So, if you have a favorite camera, make it known! If you are willing, share a few pictures proving why your camera is the best.

Thanks!

We use Bushnell and Primos 46 and 60's.

I prefer the primos over the bushnell.
    Both are in your price range. Both shoot excellent video and photos. The primos is a bit easier to set up and seems to be less sensitive, ie....only important stuff captured vs. the Bushnell takes lots more photos that you have to sort through.
    All of these cameras are about 3-4 years old now. The bushnell uses 6-AA's and Primos uses 4-D's. Both have sufficient battery life. The Primos came in camo, blends well even on a birch or in winter. The bushnell's came in black but some painting at the house made them custom camo very easily.

BK

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post
    I am looking to buy a trail camera for spring bear baiting 2014. I have no familiarity with trail cameras. I have seen some excellent trail camera photos and some super crappy looking ones. My questions is, can I get a good trail camera for under $200 that will perform well? I would obviously like to be able to get low light and night time pictures. Is $200 enough? I feel like I wouldn't want to spend more than that. The only trail camera brand I have ever heard about is cuddeback because it is advertised on almost every hunting show on TV. But it seems they are quite expensive. So, if you have a favorite camera, make it known! If you are willing, share a few pictures proving why your camera is the best.

Thanks!
    I bought a couple "Stealth Cam" because they were cheap and on sale.. they have produced some excellent pictures. Color in the day time and black/white at night.. but... they eat up 8 AA batteries in a seemingly short period of time.. They are difficult to program. You have to be careful how yhou place them as a rising sun will trip them, as will a bright afternoon sun shinning off of a big white birch tree. Of course if you enjoy looking at dozen rising sun photo's in color these may be just the thing for you..... If I were to replace them I would look at other makes/models..

I have a bushnell, I bought mine after looking at my partners camera. You can get the 8mp camera and bear box for under 200. I don't have experience with any other cameras but I'll keep buying the bushnells until someone shows me something more cost effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have a couple of Moultrie M-990i's (http://www.moultriefeeders.com/produ...x?id=mcg-12596) and they work very well. They take great pics in both day (color) and night (B/W).

MFDC0103.jpgMFDC0328.jpg

I usually just go to Cabela's website and look at the ratings for each camera (number of stars) in your price range but more importantly take the number of people who rate them poorly (percentage of one and two stars as compared to the number of total reviews) and you should be able to weed out some of the crappy ones. Some of the cameras have 20-30 percent of the people who rate them as what I call crappy (1-2 stars). The lower the crappy number the better chance of getting a good camera. Also read the one and two star review and you will usually find a pattern as to why people find them crappy.

Moultrie's have always worked great for us. Still have one from 4 years ago, along with a few current models. Using a rechargeable battery is a nice option as well.

MDGC0071.jpg

MDGC0074.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Moultrie's have always worked great for us. Still have one from 4 years ago, along with a few current models. Using a rechargeable battery is a nice option as well.

MDGC0071.jpg

MDGC0074.jpg
    Browns sure can destroy a bait site or anything else they wish to!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

You aint lyin!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The brown in my pictures ripped the barrel off the welds and chains, played kick the can for a while, and then left the can 40 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    The brown in my pictures ripped the barrel off the welds and chains, played kick the can for a while, and then left the can 40 yards away.
    Pics or it didn't happen!

Wildwood Hunter - thanks for the tip! After reviewing everyone's suggestions very closely, I decided to go with the Moultrie M-990i. I picked one up on Amazon for $138 including shipping.

No problem. I was very happy with mine and wish I could justify a couple more. One for photo and one for video at each site.

Quote Originally Posted by ckreitel View Post

Thanks!
    I have had several different trail cameras. I finally got smart and got a bear proof box for it. Bears have destroyed 2 of my other cameras. The latest camera that I picked up was the Cuddeback Attack IR. I really like this camera.

Last edited by AK6Pack; 11-13-2013 at 17:07. Reason: Spelling error.....

Wow, that Attack camera takes a pretty nice pic.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Try Sporties got a good Moultree for $110-$120 the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk