Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on 6x6 or 4x4 UTV

Default Trying to decide on 6x6 or 4x4 UTV

We have decided to get a side by side but are hung up on 6x6 ranger or 4x4 Polaris or other brand. We want to seat 3 across (1 kid) and use it for trail riding, plowing snow and maybe Eureka area. Nothing to hardcore though. Couple hundred feet of driveway and large barn/parking area. I would like to find a used one for a deal but no luck so far. I quoted ER Polaris, HP Polaris and Marita with all pretty close in price and ER Polaris be a few hundred cheaper.

Please PM me if one of these are known for better service.

Ive used two Wasilla area dealers with a new bearcat purchase with poor results a few years ago so would shy away from them unless things have changed or it was a fluke?

Concerned about turning radius when plowing with a 6x6 vs 4x4, no experience with either though. Have plowed lots of miles on a rancher and tired of getting coated with snow and cold.

Any help is appreciated.

For what you're doing a 6x6 would be overkill. I highly recommend the polaris 4x4 though... and yes a 6x6 does not turn on a dime. I've also found them to be a maintenance nightmare. Luckily I'm mechanically inclined and do most of my own work. Yamaha has the 3 seater now, and Arctic Cat does also. I'm a big fan of Yamaha's-they are a well thought out machine, and for plowing I would have to say the clutch set up has got to be better than the 1985 polaris style... The new Honda's look pretty good though they are new so hard to say what their record will be.

After recent experience with the Polaris warranty I would consider another brand. I went with the Honda Pioneer four seater.

Mark

I had a chance to ride in a 6x6 today, was very impressed with how soft the suspension was, (quick trip over some curbs and a ditch bank driven by the dealer). It did have quite a turning radius and a low top end. Is there ever an event (or dealer with a track by the dealership) that allows purchasers to actually drive a few different side by sides to get a feel for each model? I noticed some have power steering, and some of the 4x4's cost significantly more than the 6x6. The sales guy was very helpful but I do wish I could have actually driven a 13k plus purchase and a few comparison 4x4's as well. I've owned several quads over the years (mostly used for plowing and around the farm, some trail riding also) but just have 0 experience with side by sides. Thanks for your reply's.

mrj, was it the Polaris warranty are the Polaris dealer you had issues with. I have also been looking at a Polaris SxS and extended warranty.

Default SxS

IMG_0120.jpgIMG_0119.jpgWe recently got into a Arctic Cat Prowler 700 HDX. We just got it back from the dealer after having the new tires installed. Hope to be able to get it out today for a good run. The one thing that I have noticed, with the enclosed cab, is that it is not quite inside the cab. Low speeds are noisier then moving down the road. It will be interesting!
    We had thought about a 6x6 but wanted something that we could still put two machines on our trailer. Did not want to put out the money to get a bigger trailer.

Default 6x6 or 4x4

For what you are looking at doing I would buy a 4x4. I currently have a 6x6 and have owned several over the last 8 years. The 6x6's are great and they pack an impressive load but they sure seem to be a lot higher maintenance than a 4x4.

I would highly recommend Hatchers Pass - We had two 6x6's go down on the way into hunting camp this year (One lost an injector and the other lost a seal onthe middle gear box) after making a bunch of calls on the sat phone we decidedto take them out and drive the 300+ miles back to Willow to get them repaired.Hatchers Pass was the only on that I could find with an injector on the shelf and they covered it under warranty. They got both machines fixed and did an excellent job.

I have also had work done and purchased stuff from Alaska Power Sports and had good service they would defiantly be my second choice. I will never go back toEagle River for anything.

I have had excellent warranty coverage from Hatchers Pass on my 6x6 and myfriends machines.
    I have only dealt with the Willow store.

Thanks for the info, guess I'll start looking at 4x4's more seriously. Always liked Honda quads, hope the local Honda guy has a side by side to look at.

The 6x6 is butter smooth in rough terrain and it is just slightly more than a 800xp. If you go with Polaris get the extended warranty. Big lake Polaris does pretty good deals!

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    The 6x6 is butter smooth
    That was one of the things I wondered about. I was impressed with how soft it was for a hauling machine, are the 4x4's quite a bit stiffer?

You might consider renting a couple for a weekend and give them a real trial run. Cheaper than having buyer's remorse down the road. I would think that Jim Creek, Willow, and Eureka are all in good condition to give a trial run on. Seems like Arctic Cat and Polaris have everyone else chasing their innovations...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    The 6x6 is butter smooth in rough terrain and it is just slightly more than a 800xp. If you go with Polaris get the extended warranty. Big lake Polaris does pretty good deals!
    ^^^This! I ssaved over $3000 on two new machines a year ago. Marita would rather I walked then make a deal and the E.R. guy was too busy to give me the time of day. Frank at Big Lake has treated me great since the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsub View Post
    ^^^This! I ssaved over $3000 on two new machines a year ago. Marita would rather I walked then make a deal and the E.R. guy was too busy to give me the time of day. Frank at Big Lake has treated me great since the purchase.
    +1 to what he said. Try Big Lake....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Did get a chance to drive a 4x4 today. The one I drove had power steering. Big lake is closed mon/tue, didn't find out till I drove down Not as plush of a ride as the 6x6 but tighter turning radius for sure. I do appreciate the advice you all have provided.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    +1 to what he said. Try Big Lake....
    +2 I live in Anchorage and buy all my polaris machines from Big Lake and haul them out there for service or warranty work. With the drive and time spent, I don't probably save any money but I feel better.

Here on the Peninsula, I have had a very good experience with Peninsula Power Sports. They gave me a fair price on my Ranger 900XP and their service has been great. I broke an axel and they comped the co-pay from my extended warranty because it took one day longer than expected. I appreciate their no BS approach when I ask for their advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm heading to Big Lake tomorrow. Still going back and forth between 6x6 and 4x4, the prices aren't that much different, and can be significantly more depending on options for the 4x4.

Well inquiring minds want to know-what did you end up with?

Met with Frank at Big Lake, great guy. Haven't wrote the check yet, still on the fence between a 2013 4x4 800 vs 2014 6x6. Leaning towards the 4x4. Paralysis by analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by er37749
    Met with Frank at Big Lake, great guy. Haven't wrote the check yet, still on the fence between a 2013 4x4 800 vs 2014 6x6. Leaning towards the 4x4. Paralysis by analysis!
    Have you considered the 4x4 900?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast