Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Canoes Out Of Business

Default Scott Canoes Out Of Business

Sorry for my first post to be a potentially big negative, but I recently read that Scott/MCF will not be producing any more canoes. This from Two Rivers Canoe & Tackle in Medway ME. I read it on their site and called to confirm it. I was told they confirmed it directly from Scott. Bummer for me in that I was planning to get one in a year or two.

WOW! Certainly a huge hit for those looking for a rugged freighter. May explain the no reply to a recent email to them. Wonder which suppliers that can step up for this type of canoe.

Wow. Hope this is just a rumour! It's on several other boards as well but some dispute it such as this on Canada Canoe Routes

"I will back step from my previous statement. I just phoned Wilderness Dreams (the retail store associated with MCF and Scott). They said that the only change is that the downtown New Liskeard store is closing, but the main store south of town is still open. And MCF/Scott/Bluewater is still open.

What exactly happened, I do not know. I did hear from more than one local source (as early as this morning) that the whole business had shut down permanently.
    "

Too bad if they are truly gone.

The link to the announcement at two rivers: http://www.tworiverscanoe.com/

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Wow. Hope this is just a rumour! It's on several other boards as well but some dispute it such as this on Canada Canoe Routes

"I will back step from my previous statement. I just phoned Wilderness Dreams (the retail store associated with MCF and Scott). They said that the only change is that the downtown New Liskeard store is closing, but the main store south of town is still open. And MCF/Scott/Bluewater is still open.

What exactly happened, I do not know. I did hear from more than one local source (as early as this morning) that the whole business had shut down permanently.
    "

I saw this discussion and that is why I called Two Rivers. He was confident of the accuracy. Possibly someone will take the molds and the business eventually. The Albany or HB would meet my needs, better than a Grumman because I have some heavy water to get through. I prefer not to get a drift boat. Two Rivers said there are no canoes left at MCF, and he just has a few.

Well the only good news is that maybe you can find a new Albany or Hudson Bay discounted somewhere. I received my Hudson Bay discounted 12 years ago and it has been a very good boat. Nothing else like it on the market. Maybe this opens the door for our own Michael Manzo!

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post

"

No replies coming out of New Liskeard store...that is where orders go to start the process.

Here is what I learned today....seems like its true. Not sure if confirmed here yet....

B....Is Scott canoe out of business....please let me know status. Hearing rumors.

Hi Bob! Yes sir rumors are true! My god word travels fast... Summers were busy but winters were long and quite Bob. Hope all is well in the west!! Take care. B.

So my HB just doubled in price ....LOL. Supply and Demand.....

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    Maybe more than 2x. I do not see an equivalent version out there....nothing close. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I would like to know where the molds end up... hoping to see this product line continue. I see a lot of cedar strip canoes that come close, but not with the length and width as HB.

Well on the positive side...maybe someone will jump in and make a 20+ foot freighter utilizing better composite materials and epoxy.

The thick chopped mat stuff has a propensity to absorb moisture and get heavier as time goes on. The technology is there to make a thinner tougher hull that is much lighter and as stiff or stiffer... Is there enough of a market out there to be worth pursuing?

Quote Originally Posted by nessmuck View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. I can't take too much solace in that though. I've already decided that if I do replace mine with a higher end freighter I'll still keep mine. When mine does change hands it'll be due to a bequeath (sp) in my will.

I'm pretty sad about Scott's situation. Its a bad day for freighter canoeing in Alaska.

I too would like to learn what happens with the molds. I hope someone can fill this void.

Alright Mainer- time to start producing your boats in mass!

yeah sure brian,
    I feel like quitting school, this calculus if for the birds. It aint gonna keep alaskans happy with good fuel economy.

The HB, James Bay molds are available to first taker.... at a good price I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    The HB, James Bay molds are available to first taker.... at a good price I'm told.
    Time for an all-Alaskan corporation. We all buy shares and use the money to buy the molds. Set up shop and start making freighters. Get Mainer on the horn.

Checking again with my contact....regarding molds. Initial question to them was prefaced with "I love my canoe!, then I asked about the status of the molds. Reply was....got 2 in stock that need a home at a good price.

So....I am now confused...selling 2 canoes or 2 molds. Either way, I will get an update. At a minimum, they may have a great deal on a couple of HBs.

Sorry for the confusion....I'll get a better update.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Get Mainer on the horn.
    A Mainer-built canoe on an authentic Scott mold would create a product that has not been seen before - though it would be the same shape as existing Scotts.

That's gotta be more fun than calculus.... whoops, there I go being a bad influence.... stay the course Mainer!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmikk View Post
    Reply was....got 2 in stock that need a home at a good price.
    No matter what becomes of the molds there will at minimum be a significant lapse in the availability of that type of canoe. And of course Scott can't afford to wait to get good coin; they need moola now.

Anyone wanting to make some money on the side for little work should go get those last two "at good price" right now. They'll move.

I wouldn't be surprised to Barry from Two Rivers Canoe in Medway ME purchase the molds. I believe he was the largest importer in the states.

Here is updated info...

Morning Bob. I was speaking of the 21 Hudson Bays, we have a Oxblood with Ash trim and a Green one with Vinyl Trim c/w splash rails. I can let them go for $2900.00 ea. As for the mold that would be only available through the Receiver but can certainly put your name in for it and I am unsure of the cost , sorry. I do have the word out on the two 21ís available and is on a first come bases..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast