Thread: where and what to buy for communication headsets

Default where and what to buy for communication headsets

Does anyone have a good affordable set of communication headsets and where did you get them? I was hoping to go for a wireless set if available. I wanted a pair of two but wouldn't mind going up to a set of four. Any information is appreciated, thanks!

I have been looking as well. I don't think affordable is in there vocabulary. Talked with a guy at Setcom Corp and he suggested that I go with the Liberator TwinTalk Intercom System. That set of 2 was only $1254 and that is without the cell phone interface. Found some wired for about $700. So I will keep looking.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by nosner View Post
    Does anyone have a good affordable set of communication headsets and where did you get them? I was hoping to go for a wireless set if available. I wanted a pair of two but wouldn't mind going up to a set of four. Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Had a bad experience with Setcom, would not recommend them.

Check out Southernairboat.com for recommendations on this topic.

Also explore the airplane headsets, most are wired but can be "affordable" if you pick up a good used set off e-bay.
    BK

Most aircraft headsets do not work good in an airboat the reason is the mike is design to cancels
    unwanted noise. The noise canceling circuit input is on the back side of the mike pointed toward the airplane prop. On an airboat the prop is in the back of the boat making the noise canceling circuit worthless. The only solution I found is to use a throat mike, reduce prop noise or build a DIY audio amplifier with a very narrow frequency range to reduce unwanted sounds witch is what I ended up doing. I would also not consider using VOX.

Southern airboat has several threads on using headsets.
    http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB...ch_id=newposts

MacGyver,

Sounds like you know way more about the subject of using airplane mics than I.....however, I have friends that use them and are very happy with the results.
    Do you think it matters if the headsets are used in an enclosed cab like mine vs. sitting up on the cage exposed to the weather? Essentially we are sitting in a cab, just like in an airplane. Wonder if that makes a difference in how they perform?

BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    MacGyver,

Sounds like you know way more about the subject of using airplane mics than I.....however, I have friends that use them and are very happy with the results.
    Do you think it matters if the headsets are used in an enclosed cab like mine vs. sitting up on the cage exposed to the weather? Essentially we are sitting in a cab, just like in an airplane. Wonder if that makes a difference in how they perform?

BK
    I was just pointing out why a throat mic would be better in reducing prop noise in the mic audio
    instead of using the mic on a headset. I also use a aircraft headsets and it works just find.
    One reason maybe is I've been told my airboat is very quiet.

If you get the inside of the mic wet it will stop working so you will need to protect it from the weather. I found that out the hard way. I would put a small plastic bag over the mic.

Anything that helps to reduce noise is good so having a cab is better than not having one. As far as if it causing a problem being in a cab I don't see how if it did they would have problems in an airplane.

I had the Sigtronics 6 place portable with peltor head sets with the push to talk buttons on my air boat when doing tours and they worked great. You can get the entire set-up now for under 1000. Here are the ones I was talking about or check these guys out. I ran 2 airboats so it made it nice to be able to transfer them.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/headsets.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-Sig...ht_1790wt_1399

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigtronics-P...r#ht_41wt_1399

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigtronics-T...r#ht_24wt_1399
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sigtronic is the common set-up I see others using with success.

My boat is fairly quiet as well.
    BK

Thanks everyone for the responses gave me good places to start.

http://yourtalkingnow.com/airboats_wireless.html

I purchased these this year and love them. Wireless and have a range of over 150 feet...pretty good to deal with the driver and the winch operator when stuck. They charge by USB or with a cigarette lighter. The guy was awesome to work with and for around 300 buck....

Tiaga, Thanks for the information and referal. Have you had them in rain, snow. Are you in a cab or out in the open? What is the coldest you have used them in. They look rather bulky and seem Like they might be heavy.

I agree, they look rather bulky/cumbersome and maybe even heavy, especially for a kid.
    Would be cool to try someones out when we do our annual April/May ride up to Knik.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I agree, they look rather bulky/cumbersome and maybe even heavy, especially for a kid.
    Would be cool to try someones out when we do our annual April/May ride up to Knik.
    BK
    I ended up buying a set of 4. I like them a lot! I've been using them in my tracked UTV down to 0 degrees with no issues. Can't wait to use them in the boat. They are supposed to be water proof. They aren't any bulkier than a set of peltier ear defenders.

I'll try to make that Knik ride and I'll bring along.

Nosner,
    That would be pretty cool to try them out.
    BK