Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting From Scratch

Default Starting From Scratch

If you had to go today and buy a bolt action rifle to keep and use for say the next 10 years what would you choose and why? Not really interested in caliber, just make and model. Keep it to new guns that are available in most places. If you have bought a new rifle and had a bad experience with it post that also. I know a friend of mine bought a 700 Remington and the trigger would bottom a trigger pull scale out at 5 pounds long before the gun would fire. This was a simple fix for around $100 with a new Timmey trigger. He tried to get the trigger adjusted but could not get the adjustment screws to move. I am not sure if you can adjust the triggers on most new guns or if you can buy a replacement trigger if they will not adjust. I don't think you will find many new guns with a trigger that will be good to hunt with out of the box in todays times and I do not want to buy one that can't be fixed one way or another without spending major money doing so. Post any good or bad things about rifles being sold today. Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    If you had to go today and buy a bolt action rifle to keep and use for say the next 10 years what would you choose and why? Not really interested in caliber, just make and model. Keep it to new guns that are available in most places. If you have bought a new rifle and had a bad experience with it post that also. I know a friend of mine bought a 700 Remington and the trigger would bottom a trigger pull scale out at 5 pounds long before the gun would fire. This was a simple fix for around $100 with a new Timmey trigger. He tried to get the trigger adjusted but could not get the adjustment screws to move. I am not sure if you can adjust the triggers on most new guns or if you can buy a replacement trigger if they will not adjust. I don't think you will find many new guns with a trigger that will be good to hunt with out of the box in todays times and I do not want to buy one that can't be fixed one way or another without spending major money doing so. Post any good or bad things about rifles being sold today. Thanks.

I would chooser a Weatherby Vanguard, because I like the stock design and other features, and the quality as I perceive it.

I think that most "out of the box" rifles will work just fine. As with anything, I'll grant you that some will fail.

IME, howbeit limited, a 5 lb. trigger is not a major problem. It errs on the safe side, probably on purpose, but I can shoot as well with a 5 lb. as a 3.5 lb. which I like, for no particular reason.

Ya jist gotta git used to a trigger. Poundage is not nearly as problematic as creep. You want a crisp trigger, especially in a handgun.

That New Remington trigger design may have a problem, adjustment, wise. Seems like I heard something to that effect. Maybe you check it out with a gunsmith if you haven't already. If so, what'd he say?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Oh man...lots of good choices out there for a "one and done" approach.

I really like the Kimbers. Light, good trigger, good stock design. Customer service is reportedly iffy.

I also like Ruger's latest iteration of the 77... pretty good trigger, robust and every one of the newer ones I've dealt with has been a shooter.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'm waaaaaay "out there," looking back on over 50 years with a whole lot of rifles, watching my interests change with time about as fast as new models came out.

Lotta fun for sure, but if I have one regret, it's that I didn't find my one-and-done way back in the beginning. Sure I'd have continued to try new models and all those calibers, but I let the shooting press and fashion get in the way of the real fun. Bottom line, if I'd found that one-and-done back then, I'd have had an extra 30 years of enjoying it, rather than starting just 20 years ago.

What's my one-and-done?

A larger caliber traditional muzzleloader, whether flint or cap. Change powder charges or the shape of the lead pill, and it's literally good for everything from mice to moose. I can carry a whole reloading outfit in a small pouch hanging from my shoulder, and I can make all my own ammo from free scrap lead. Easy to fix about anything that goes wrong with it. Heck, I can build the gun myself if I want, using hand tools and time rather than machines and a shop. Most of my shooting is inside 100 yards, so no issue with those plain old open sights either.

By far, a traditional muzzleloader is the most versatile gun I've ever enjoyed. Just wish I'd owned one a whole lot sooner.

I faced this when I moved to Alaska about five years ago, owning at the time two rifles both chambered 22LR.

I went and shouldered every rifle I could get my hands on. Remington, Tikka, Weatherby, Ruger, Savage, if it was on display in Fairbanks spring of 2009, I shouldered it.

I distinctly remember a three way tie for second place. The clear winner for me was from a good name with a typical warranty, I bought that one and have never looked back.

For me it would the the Model 70 Winchester by FNH....they have incorporated all the best features of the model 70 and use some of Winchester's old tooling...their barrels and triggers are excellent....they are made in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    For me it would the the Model 70 Winchester by FNH....they have incorporated all the best features of the model 70 and use some of Winchester's old tooling...their barrels and triggers are excellent....they are made in the US

Same here, cant go wrong with the M70. I bought one in 30-06 and had it redone as a 280... love it. smooth action, smooth trigger, great handling...
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

The one that felt best and had sights.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Remington model 770. Just kidding, depending on the amount of money i had, i would go with a ruger m77 if i could not afford a Winchester m70

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Like BB says, i could do it all with a ML, and have fun , too. But i didn't know it at the time I bought my first rifle.
    Also, as he said, interests change.

Besides, we must choose from what's available at the time, and can afford. So we end up with multiple guns that aren't perfect. My only regret is that I didn't spend the extry $$ on the perfect gun, in the first place, so I wouldn't feel like I hadda keep improving on what I had.

I've come to understand that it is wise to buy "the perfect gun" , the one without compromises, even if it is Custom, if you can possibly manage it.

Your "perfect rifle" may no longer be available, soon, and they don't usually get any cheaper.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

It would have to be based on an m98 action.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Your "perfect rifle" may no longer be available, soon, and they don't usually get any cheaper.
    Amen to that! The list of guns I've owned in 50 years is a looong one. But it's short compared to the list of guns I regret not buying.

Well, I found the perfect wife on my 2nd try but when it comes to guns Iíll always play the field. I love them all not any one of them singly is enough to fulfill my inner little boyís needs. Ya most of them could handle my practical needs alone but there is more to life than that. You canít own them all . . . At the same time but Iíll keep trying to own them all for a time.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

One reason for this thread is I would like to add one or possibly two more to my collection but I do not want to spend on something I will regret later. I want one with a safe trigger but one pulling 5 lbs. or more is useless to me. I see a lot of new guns being sold and then appearing on the for sale list a few weeks later. My guess is that the customer was not satisfied with there purchase. I do not want to fall in this category. The one I see being resold the most is the Remington 770. Don't know why but would like to know. Thanks again.

There is no such thing as the perfect rifle as there are too many different types of hunting /shooting possibilities. For hunting I would buy the rifle that fit my most common shooting the best whether Win, Ruger, Rem, Weathby, Savage or whatever. I have never been a brand specific guy. Each brand and type of rifle has its good and bad points. The Rem770 is a weird built rifle that was made to meet the bottom end price market and does not feel or look good to me. The Wthby Mk V looks to fancy/ space age lumpy for my tastes. The Savage has some good rifles and some that are built a little chincy. I would buy a good used Rem 700, Win 70 or Ruger 77 for the best price I could find and go from there. Either that or find a cheap rifle that I could custom build to what I wanted using a 98 type action including Rem, Win, Endfield and Ruger. But even that wouldn't satisfy me as there are too many situations where I would want to use a different rifle/ caliber. Isn't it great that we still have a choice and aren't stuck with just one rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    My guess is that the customer was not satisfied with there purchase. I do not want to fall in this category. The one I see being resold the most is the Remington 770. Don't know why but would like to know. Thanks again.
    A friend of mine won one in a raffle at some NRA benefit in .270 Win.... He thought the price of the ticket was too much to pay for it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

I would chooser a Weatherby Vanguard, because I like the stock design and other features, and the quality as I perceive it.
    I have one in .270 Win that has just the smoothest action and is incredibly accurate with about anything I put through it. I don't really like it, is the irony of it, and I've been trying to replace it, but I don't know if I can.

Ruger m77 and or remington 700. Both do the job and have never had a problem.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

My personal choice would be a CZ carbine with open sights(take your pick of turkish walnut or B n C stock). 20 in. barrel, very precise open sights, fairly light and compact. The fit, finish, and quality is far superior to most US-made rifles. These guys have been building bolt actions from the very beginning of the bolt action. The lack of open sights is a truly disturbing thought IMO.

If the Ruger compact-mag was still avail....that would be a sure winner too.

I know you mentioned in your thread that you didn't want mention of caliber.....oops.....9.3x62 Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I have one in .270 Win that has just the smoothest action and is incredibly accurate with about anything I put through it. I don't really like it, is the irony of it, and I've been trying to replace it, but I don't know if I can.
    What's not to like?

Other than that it's a 270?

Re-barrel it to 280. Andy can fo it.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast