Thread: Any tips for buying Halibut and storing/making for only 1 person?

Default Any tips for buying Halibut and storing/making for only 1 person?

I've none of my own fish, so looking at buying. Where is a good place to buy Halibut between Chugiak and Anchorage? Is there any good way to buy it at the store and freeze it and thaw it for only 1 person or am I asking for disappointment? Also, if fresh Halibut available all year?

My wife is a bad hunter (vegetarian) but she works nights, so I have plenty of chances to cook for myself. Introducing some Halibut would be nice. Too bad I don't like Salmon.

Sorry for the newb question.

Generally speaking, New Sagaya or 10th & M Seafoods in Anchorage should have fresh halibut available. The season ends in November, so you're right at the tail end of the availability. Either rent a professional sealer from Alaska Butcher Supply or take your fish over to Alaska Sausage to have it sealed (assuming that the stores don't offer sealing - they might, so it doesn't hurt to ask). Seal the fish you buy in 1/2 pound packages, and then you'll be able to thaw single-serve dinners all winter long. It freezes/thaws well, so you shouldn't have any problems at all if it is sealed well.

In addition to the fresh options Brian mentions; commercially caught, and frozen halibut is generally available year round at grocery store fish counters such as Freddy's. Their inventory is kept frozen, and thawed a few pieces at a time when they put it out on display. You can buy the thawed piece in the case for dinner, or ask them for still frozen stock from the locker.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank you for the replies.

Biran - I'll give the shops a call and see if they can seal them.

iofthetaiga - Do you know how they package the frozen fish? Is it a good method?

Quote Originally Posted by Machine154 View Post

iofthetaiga - Do you know how they package the frozen fish? Is it a good method?

I have a commercial chamber vac that will do 4 bags at a time - if you buy the bags from Alaska Butcher, bring the fish over and we can seal them up quick. Let me know if you're interested.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

If you get it at New Saguya you could make it a one stop shop as they also do vac sealing for a very fair price
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    If you get it at New Saguya you could make it a one stop shop as they also do vac sealing for a very fair price
    This sounds like my best bet - thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I have a commercial chamber vac that will do 4 bags at a time - if you buy the bags from Alaska Butcher, bring the fish over and we can seal them up quick. Let me know if you're interested.
    Thanks for the offer to do this - it is much appreciated. It looks like New Saguya will seal them at a decent price, so I think I'll try that for convenience.

Picked up 3 1/2 lbs of 1/2 lb filets today. Wow, the price for filets is much higher than I expected. I think they are advertising whole fish prices on the radio. Looks like I need to talk to my neighbor about trying to buy some of his catch!

Anyway, now I have another quick question. When I go to thaw the fish, is there anything I should do different than any other meat?

[QUOTE=Machine154;1337256]Picked up 3 1/2 lbs of 1/2 lb filets today. Wow, the price for filets is much higher than I expected. I think they are advertising whole fish prices on the radio. Looks like I need to talk to my neighbor about trying to buy some of his catch!
    QUOTE]

Unless he has a commercial license to sell the fish I believe it would be illegal for you to "buy" some of his catch.

Give him some gas money

On thawing the meat, if in a vacuum packed bag, cut it open. If left sealed, the moisture comes back out of the fillet while defrosting
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Glad I asked. Opening it to keep the moisture sounds counter intuitive. Thaw in fridge or on counter - either way better than the other? My wife isn't going to like it if I have an open pack of fish in the fridge!

the science is that if defrosted sealed, the moisture content is lost. Put in cold water in a big pot like you would defrost a turkey. Does not hurt the meat
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Glad I asked. Opening it to keep the moisture sounds counter intuitive. Thaw in fridge or on counter - either way better than the other? My wife isn't going to like it if I have an open pack of fish in the fridge!
    Try a side by side comparison and judge for yourself. 1) One open and 2) one sealed when thawing. Despite seeming counter intuitive, my experiences with thawing while open (whether fish or game) results in a more moist product.