Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Images from the first float hunt

Default Images from the first float hunt

My buddy and I thought we would give float hunting a try. So with longbows in hand we began.
    IMG_8042.jpg
    The colors were amazing when we began.
    IMG_7892.jpg

We soon gave the stream a name. The "Cold Fork of the Windy River" where the wind is always at your back unless you're rowing.
    IMG_8033.jpg
    It started to change.
    IMG_8031.jpg

The cold weather and wind continued for most of the hunt. One evening after a near whiteout all day my fun meter was pegged and I turned in 15 minutes early only to hear my buddy say "There's a bull coming into camp". My buddy was in position but the bull was frozen. I managed to call him in with my head out of the tent kneeling on the rock s with only my Smartwools. It worked and my buddy gets his first moose. Perfect shot. The bull runs out in the stream and ...well. It was a scramble.
    IMG_8083.jpg
    Happy times.
    IMG_8106.jpg

We decided to celebrate with a dish we called the "Elvis".
    IMG_8155.jpg
    We slacked off a little to rest our backs.
    IMG_8131.jpg

With time running out it was my turn to get serious. Little pre-game practice.
    IMG_8130.jpg
    But one more day like this and I said Maybe we should go in a day early.
    IMG_8216.jpg

We headed down stream to look for our last gravel bar when we saw this fella. He obviously knew where my comfort zone was and stayed just out of range. Oh, the life of a bowhunter.
    IMG_8170.jpg
    The next morning we broke camp on the last day of the season and loaded the raft. Everything was tied down and my bow and arrows were resting in their tubes. While sipping the last bit of coffee we hear a grunt. Decision time...no way to get the bow out from under all the stuff in the raft...two moose is better than one so with 45/70 in hand I whacked a few limbs and "Stinky" came in like a bulldozer broadside at 15yards. Could have taken him with a bayonet. My longbow refuses to speak to me now.
    IMG_8193.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    We headed down stream to look for our last gravel bar when we saw this fella. He obviously knew where my comfort zone was and stayed just out of range. Oh, the life of a bowhunter.
    IMG_8170.jpg
    The next morning we broke camp on the last day of the season and loaded the raft. Everything was tied down and my bow and arrows were resting in their tubes. While sipping the last bit of coffee we hear a grunt. Decision time...no way to get the bow out from under all the stuff in the raft...two moose is better than one so with 45/70 in hand I whacked a few limbs and "Stinky" came in like a bulldozer broadside at 15yards. Could have taken him with a bayonet. My longbow refuses to speak to me now.
    IMG_8193.jpg
    OH Boud'arc that's aweful man. I mean I'm glad you got a moose, but with one coming in that close it sucks you put your bow away. Oh well, at least you filled your freezer.

One more night on the gravel bar and we woke to this.
    IMG_8209.jpg
    My buddy had to use the spare oar to make a path at times.
    IMG_8225.jpg
    Needless to say. I'm already planning next year's float hunt and the longbow will stay by my side until the recess bell rings!

Looks like an cold and successful hunt, congrats! on two nice bulls

Good Stuff congrats on an an excellent hunt and thank you for sharing what a great story~!

What a great hunt! Wow, that's some pretty serious ice - makes the tips of my toes feel cold. Thanks for the pics and story.

Congrats to both of you. Beautiful long bow as well as the two moose.
    Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
    BK

What a Great Story, and told perfectly with your visuals,...
    Especially love the "Tough Feet, in the cold," photo,... Man, that one speaks volumes
    they're all great tho

Thanks for the telling,... Congrats on all the "Moose down"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good job guys, When I guided on the Shennjek, lots of years ago, in the arctic Had serious ice conditions and the same type raft stayed as hard on that frozen river. The more you do it - the more fun it is!! Good work!
    Goo

Great story fine effort and results.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great story. Your bow will, in time, understand that you had to make a choice.

Is that critter doing the back stroke??

Nice job and a long bow!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float Hunts, Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotz
    907-259-4290

Can't think of anything to say that someone hasn't already said, Congrats, nice looking bulls and lots of meat. Actually I can say something- ****, I wish I could do that!!

Great hunt.. Thanks for sharing!

Right on! Hey, could you tell us more about the motor set up on the raft. Short shaft? Useful? Take it again? After my first float hunt this year I want to return next year with my 2.5 Suzuki 4 stroke but it's what they call a short shaft and I was told I would need a long shaft to put on my raft. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast