Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster kenai bear

Smile Monster kenai bear

So, did I miss the thread on the kenai bear? I would post the link but I am on an ipad I don't know how to use. Basically on the front page of today's peninsula clarion. Some guy shot a 29 inch brown bear near sterling with an open harvest tag. The pics are impressive. Second largest ever taken here. About time we got some pub. Guys, don't spend all that coin for a guided fly I hunt on the pen or the rock cause there are some spectacular bears right here. Just stay away from the rr falls as that got people a little fired up.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...ds-to-big-bear

Wow I figured out how to copy the link. Guy kills the bear instantly with a neck shot with a .450. Talk about a guy doing everything right. Take enough gun..... Don't need to track that one too far.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Just in.....shortage of waders being reported.

There are so many monster Brown Bears on the Kenai Peninsula.........You guys are missing a great opportunity if your not working this hunt. There are many, MANY places that no human has walked in over 100 years. These bears have NOT been hunted in 30 or 40 years. Have you ever, EVER heard of anyone hunting Snipers Point to Saw Mill Creek or even over to Seattle Creek mouth........??? There is country on the otherside of Six-Mile creek back up Falls or Walker Creek or Black Creek that has NOT seen human foot prints in the last 115 years.......Really

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    There are so many monster Brown Bears on the Kenai Peninsula.........You guys are missing a great opportunity if your not working this hunt. There are many, MANY places that no human has walked in over 100 years. These bears have NOT been hunted in 30 or 40 years. Have you ever, EVER heard of anyone hunting Snipers Point to Saw Mill Creek or even over to Seattle Creek mouth........??? There is country on the otherside of Six-Mile creek back up Falls or Walker Creek or Black Creek that has NOT seen human foot prints in the last 115 years.......Really

I don't doubt it one bit. The problem is the reality of getting there.

Indeed a GREAT bear...!!! My wife brought the paper home for me last night to see the pic. Before I could get up here to post Solly beat me to it.....lol.

Anyway, this reminded me about a photo from the Clarion that I clipped I think some 25+ years ago. I couldn't believe that I managed to find it. As you can read in the clip they kinda say the same thing.....lol. Does anybody else remember this?

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How many of these creeks have salmon runs for a food source.

I saw he shot it with a 450 Marlin. Since I pack a 450 Guide Gun I am really curious of his load if anyone knows him...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I know him..

I used a single shot hammer action .450 Marlin with Hornady 350 grain round. I've killed multiple moose with this gun as well, never needed a follow up shot on any of them. I actually got this gun for brown bears back in 2001, finally got the opportunity to use it on a brown bear.

That's awesome! Looks like the hunter showed for the party. We commend you and welcome further info on the hunt. What kinda taxidermy are you planing, ect..... Well done and thanks for visiting the AOD.

Would love to see this big boy as a life size mount but hard for me to stomach the cost, going to have to settle for the ol fashion rug, even though I don't have a wall big enough for him ha.

If its a life size you want then get it you don't have to come up with all the money today. Also choose your taxidermist wisely there's some good ones out there that'll work with you, unless you plan on stacking up bears with 29" skulls like chord wood I'd get what you really want.

Congrats bear crawl! Like written above, you don't have to come up with all the money for a lifesize right now. Some people hold on to hides/horns/capes for many years and then have the funds for the mount they want.

Regardless, if you go with the rug it will be pretty cool.

A life size is an amazing option. Like you said wall space is at a premium. With a respectable down payment and a measure of integrity and trust you could work a deal. Be honest about your expectations to the taxi. He or she will understand you've gotten an unexpected exceptional trophy.

Get it done in AK. The shipping is a huge consideration.

Did you get help with the skinning?

My brother and I skinned it out, he has lots of experience skinning bears out, I've only done a few. Nothing like trying to flip and turn a half ton to get it skinned. Luckily he was on dry ground which helped out considerably. Left the skull and feet in to save time in the field. Kenny at Skulls and Bones being the great guy he is skinned out the skull for me and is also cleaning the skull. Think I'm going to settle with a rug, for the fact of being able to move it when needed and my kids wouldn't sleep a wink with 10 foot bear standing in the living room. Real Deal Taxidermy made me a great deal on a rug.

Let your taxi know you would like to have it as a mount somebody. You can rug it and still have the option of mounting it later

sent from my igloo

I just have to say, Thanks for sharing this hunt. Great job, ya gotta love Alaska...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear crawl View Post
    I used a single shot hammer action .450 Marlin with Hornady 350 grain round. I've killed multiple moose with this gun as well, never needed a follow up shot on any of them. I actually got this gun for brown bears back in 2001, finally got the opportunity to use it on a brown bear.
    1st off congrats on an amazing bear!
    Thanks for the ammo info. I have never shot factory stuff in my Guide Gun so it's nice to hear the Hornady stuff is up to the task. Have you recovered any bullets from critters? How did they hold up? I finally killed my 1st critter with mine this year using handloads with a 428gr hardcast flat nose at about 1850fps. Did fine on a small bull (27"), but most anything would...

Again, Congrats!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Waiting for a nice spring hide it's on this next spring!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast