Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the big lakers

Default Where are the big lakers

So I have been fishing the anchorage and some valley lakes but have never got anything bigger then 16" most being the small 8-10". What lakes get more in the 20 inch range around the valley that you can get to by truck. I'm just getting the itch for some ice fishing

I hate to break it to you but if you have just been fishing the lakes in the valley and Anchorage, then you haven't been catching 16" Lake trout. The only lakes in the valley that have Lake trout are Long lake (mile 86 Glenn highway) and Byers lake. All the lakes in the valley have either Rainbow trout, Arctic char, landlocked salmon, Grayling, Pike, Whitefish or Burbot.

For Char/Dollies & Rainbows, anywhere this pamphlet says "up to 16inches" holds 20+ inch or better trout. I have caught or been with folks who have caught 20+ inch trout from a dozen of the lakes listed here. I'd say its fairly accurate in terms of what's available except they severely underestimate the size of the largest fish. You'll spend a lifetime checking them all out. In general 20" trout are fairly rare. But almost any lake that doesn't winter kill or have hordes of people removing every fish they plant every year (which seems to happen in Anchroage lakes a lot) will hold some nice fish.

If you are catching smaller fish, try upsizing your presentation. I routinely catch 12 to 14 inch rainbows on a 5 inch spoon. Bait will almost always have you battling the 8 to 10 inchers to get to the one bigger fish. Where you can use bait, try lowering one bait offering, then jig a lure to attract fish. When you grab the "lure" you think you should use, go back into the box and grab something twice as big and try it. Even if its too big, it will attract fish to your bait set up.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...MatSuLakes.pdf

Thanks for the info. I will have to try that out when the lakes freezes up this winter.

I would like to offer one more thing, catch big fish you need a fair size lake an lots of food , unless you fish stocked fish only ,
    the bigger the lake the better the chance of catching a fair size fish [ I think ] SID

Quote Originally Posted by redneckalaskan View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will have to try that out when the lakes freezes up this winter.
    It's getting there lol. Pond next to office in Anchorage is starting to freeze!!

I also tend to agree about a bigger lake but just as important is either depth of a lake or presence of underwater springs that prevent winter kill. Some of my favorite "decent sized average fish length" lakes are on the small side.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I have caught some nice sized fish in smaller lakes. It isn't as common as on bigger bodies of water but they are there in some small lakes.
    I have caught more than one 20+" fish in Johnson lake in Kasilof and it is very small and shallow. My biggest fish out of there was 22".
    I fished a small lake in Nikliski last winter and lost a 24"+ trout trying to get him out of the hole.
    Some lakes do tend to have a much larger average fish though.
    I know on the Peninsula lakes that are harder to access tend to have larger fish on average. Having a Snowmachine is nice to get out to some of these lakes.
    Lakes that have natural fish often times have bigger fish than those that are stocked fish only.
    Also Changing up to slightly larger jigs or different styles of jigs can be good.
    A few years ago I bought some berkley tube jigs in white and I caught several nice 20"+ trout on them that winter.
    Last year I was using some round head jigs with grub tails and did real well and caught some nice fish on them. I make and powder paint the heads myself and buy the tails.
    Here is a 20" trout from last year on the third drop with one of my jigs. The first 2 drops caught smaller fish.Then this one hit.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default You dont need a big lake for big fish

This fish was caught on an Anchorage area lake last winter. It measured 29 inches and was caught on a 6 inch airplane jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've seen some lakes produce some very nice large fish. !

I meant small lakes

Small lakes can produce some bigger fish.
    I have one tiny lake that I fish for lakers early in the ice season.
    The fish average 16"-18" but there are plenty to about 22" in there.
    The lake is 1/2 mile wide by 3/4 mile long, but it is quite deep.
    The I don't know the exact depth but have been told it's 600' deep in it's deepest spot.
    The lake is an ancient impact crater.

The lake my cabin property is on is a decent sized lake at about 2 miles by 8 miles and over 300' deep at it's deepest.
    There are lake trout in there over 40#'s as well as pike over 30#'s.
    Caught this trout three weeks ago.

And this guy two weeks ago

We should be starting to freeze up pretty good next week so it won't be long before I'm drillin' holes again for these bad boys.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Small lakes can produce some bigger fish.
    I have one tiny lake that I fish for lakers early in the ice season.
    The fish average 16"-18" but there are plenty to about 22" in there.
    The lake is 1/2 mile wide by 3/4 mile long, but it is quite deep.
    The I don't know the exact depth but have been told it's 600' deep in it's deepest spot.
    The lake is an ancient impact crater.

The lake my cabin property is on is a decent sized lake at about 2 miles by 8 miles and over 300' deep at it's deepest.
    There are lake trout in there over 40#'s as well as pike over 30#'s.
    Caught this trout three weeks ago.

And this guy two weeks ago

We should be starting to freeze up pretty good next week so it won't be long before I'm drillin' holes again for these bad boys.
    Ha ha! The smart link for "bad boys" says you'll be fishing for Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.
    Drifter, you always have a way of inciting severe envy in me for those big Canadian fish, eh?

Well you don't need a passport for some nice size Lakers, but you will have to travel out of the big cities.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Well you don't need a passport for some nice size Lakers, but you will have to travel out of the big cities.
    True, there are some good laker spots in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    True, there are some good laker spots in AK.
    But looks like you got some darn nice ones too. Nice catch

I'm starting to think there needs to be a Canuck-A-Palooza at Drifters place some year.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm starting to think there needs to be a Canuck-A-Palooza at Drifters place some year.....
    I'm in!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'm in!!!!!!!!
    Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Alrighty then....

Dave, we need some GPS numbers and the location of the nearest liquor store.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast