View Poll Results: Unit 13: Staying or going?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm sick of the crowds and low numbers, I'm outta here!

9 14.06%
  • I've done fine in Unit 13, I'm sticking around.

31 48.44%
  • Not sure yet. Need to see the draw/tier supplement.

24 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13: Who's leaving, who's staying, who doesn't know yet...

Default Unit 13: Who's leaving, who's staying, who doesn't know yet...

With the pressure added from the Tier 1 moose requirement, the "community" harvest hunt and the crowds in general, what's your opinion on re-submitting for the Tier 1 caribou and/or hunting moose in Unit 13? From Anchorage, there is no closer, cheaper and more consistent caribou option for me, but I'm tired of the crowds and getting skunked on moose looking for a 4th brow tine. I'm tempted to double down, hoping there's lot's of frustrated people who are less persistent than me but I'm really not sure. If I have time this summer to really check out some other areas it might be worth it, but I have to make the choice by December 31st if I want that caribou permit. Where is everyone else at on the issue?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

We'll see how the supplement shakes out....never done the CH program or applied for Tier I since this lastest circus began 2-3 years ago. There places to get caribou that cost just as much as the Denali hwy IMO...not worth the drama.

I don't live there anymore, so I don't hunt there anymore. Sure got sick of the crowds when I lived there tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    With the pressure added from the Tier 1 moose requirement, the "community" harvest hunt and the crowds in general, what's your opinion on re-submitting for the Tier 1 caribou and/or hunting moose in Unit 13? From Anchorage, there is no closer, cheaper and more consistent caribou option for me, but I'm tired of the crowds and getting skunked on moose looking for a 4th brow tine. I'm tempted to double down, hoping there's lot's of frustrated people who are less persistent than me but I'm really not sure. If I have time this summer to really check out some other areas it might be worth it, but I have to make the choice by December 31st if I want that caribou permit. Where is everyone else at on the issue?
    By Dec 31? I thought the submittable deadline was earlier last year... did it revert?

Quote Originally Posted by iusckeeper View Post
    By Dec 31? I thought the submittable deadline was earlier last year... did it revert?
    Oh for sure...wait until Dec 31st.

We did the Tier I the first two years of the program, but went back into the drawing last year to expand our options. I ended up drawing a Unit 13 tag anyhow, so that was a nice compromise. At this point we're sticking with the drawing, if for no other reason than we miss a couple of our other caribou draws that are a ton of fun to hunt if we're so lucky. I don't concern myself too much with the crowds for caribou, as they're easily left behind with a mile of hiking. Moose may be a different story, but I've not yet spent much effort trying to find one in Unit 13 these past few years. Being able to hunt moose elsewhere is a nice effect of forgoing the Tier I tag, for sure.

I have really enjoyed doing the Tier 1 caribou hunt. I haven't owned a ATV in years and don't bother fighting the crowds. I find that if you are willing to hike even 20 minutes through steep, swampy or brushy terrain you will be all alone most times. When my kids get a little older this will be a great hunt to take them on too.

As for moose, I'm not pleased with my prospects in unit 13 but I haven't really invested a great deal of effort into it either. The last 2 years I have gone on, or helped with (unsuccessful) sheep and goat hunts during at least part of moose season. Then I turn to deer and get an alpine buck or two before the seas turn crappy. I usually squeeze in an October deer trip too. I think next year I may get more serious about moose so that may change my mind.

I did the Tier 1 bou twice. Both times I took my youth daughters as the primary shooters, and both times we were successful, which was great. I did not do the Tier 1 this last season. Bou hunting in Unit 13 is great, but I felt we were missing out on MOOSE opportunities outside Unit 13. So this last season I did not do the Tier 1, and instead I, my wife, and my two youth daughters applied for moose permits. We drew 3, and ended up putting 1 in the freezer, which was perfect. I have no regrets and will skip the Tier 1 again this round to keep my family's options for moose open.

I've done Tier 1 for the last couple years and had no problem getting away from the crowds with a little leg work. What makes me think twice about it is the goofy behavior of the herd this year, concentrating so far away from the highways. It's frustrating to put all your eggs in one basket and then find somebody moved the whole basket 30 miles from the nearest road. I count myself extremely lucky to have found a small bull this year, but I'll definitely be temped to switch to the draw for next year just to keep more options open.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

I'm more or less locked into GMU13 via my Federal tags...so I'll be hunting there again. I've done the Tier 1 tag to expand my areas and try to get my son on a caribou which has resulted in harvesting one both years- just not by him yet. Since that hunting is literally just down the road I get to enjoy a lot of hunting for just a little gas money. The crowds were kind of gonzo this year but I found they were easy to leave behind with the heel-toe express. The bou were off this year... but they're bou and I don't think they even know what they're doing most of the time.

I might put in for draws on the Cantwell side just for flavor but I won't do the Tier 1 again...I'd much rather look to do some hunting other places.

Moose hunting around the Denali has never been productive enough that I spent much time doing it- there are much better moose spots.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

After reading the responses of this thread, it appears that the tier 1 requirements are doing their job. For myself and the wife, we'll keep applying for the draw tags and I'll hunt moose somewhere else.

I'll draw on Unit 13, but no, not gonna due Tier 1 this year. Not since I saw a few really nice and legal moossies closer to home that could have been in my freezer with a little effort.

Now since I decided that, just wait, it'll be a banner year for Tier 1 winners, but oh well.

Never went for the Tier, community, or federal tags and never will. You can get away from most of the 'crowd' if you know where and how to go about it.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I have put in for the tier 1 for the past couple years and have been lucky both years. I will say that the crowds can become over whelming. I have hunted in a lot of places in the unit 13 area. I would have to say that the crowds tend to stay either close to the highway or in the eureka area. As far as hunting moose, I will say that they're better areas outside of unit 13 that have better opportunities. I will most likely put in for the tier 1 again just because the moose can be found with a little hard work

Shuks, i wanna put in for a draw and get my CH on for 24 others, so Ill be doing a DYI drop off and float out, most likely, and make sure my guide can mix a martini perfectly.....i hear unit 13 is the Schizzzzzzzzz
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Shuks, i wanna put in for a draw and get my CH on for 24 others, so Ill be doing a DYI drop off and float out, most likely, and make sure my guide can mix a martini perfectly.....i hear unit 13 is the Schizzzzzzzzz

If you only knew how good it really is
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I've enjoyed caribou hunting (2 yrs) with the Tier 1 tag, but I'm kind of tired of the antler restrictions for moose. I'll probably put in for a caribou draw tag and leave my moose hunting options open.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I've enjoyed caribou hunting (2 yrs) with the Tier 1 tag, but I'm kind of tired of the antler restrictions for moose. I'll probably put in for a caribou draw tag and leave my moose hunting options open.
    That's exactly how I feel. Every time I've pulled the Tier tag, I've gotten a caribou but with moose it's so tough to find a legal one.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I'm out. I'm a fishing guide so my season is Jun 11 - 1 Oct (no time to hunt). I put in for the tier tag thinking I'd at least be able to hunt caribou on the second season but no dice and I now I can't go on any registration moose hunts or hunt caribou anywhere.

I had an awesome time doing the tier 1 hunt this year, but me and the wife will be trying for draws from now on. Awesome country out there, but I want to keep my options open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast