Thread: One down

Default One down

Last night my partner and I headed to the bear stand under perfect conditions. Light rain, no wind and no waves on the ocean. I went in first as someone else forgot his handgun. About 60 yards out, I spotted a bear under the barrel on the ground. I set all of my gear down except the bow and quiver. I managed to close the distance to about 25 yards before the bear became alert to something being wrong. She came down the hill towards me and closed the distance to about 12-15 yards. At this point I kinda figured that the wrist strap on my bow did not need to be around my wrist and that the loop over the top of the .44 mag. could be removed.

My partner, backing me up 30 yards down hill with his stick bow, moved to the side in an effort to get her to turn broadside. Well instead of doing what he planned, she stood straight up on her hind legs, brought her paws up and gave him a stare. All I remember was the sight pin settling about 4" lower than her shoulder joints and centered on the front of her chest.

The Carbon Express tipped with a 125 grain Slick Trick propelled by my 70 pound BowTech ripped through her like she was butter and stuck in the hill about 25 yards beyond. She then took off up hill and expired about 45-50 yards away. There wasn't any trailing needed as I punched her briscket, ripped a lung and broke more ribs exiting.

She has a beautiful hide and is a 6-footer. Very dense fur as we could not even get the spruce needles to rub out before pictures. I had hoped for something a little bigger this year but when she was standing upright at 12-15 yards in front of me she looked big enough. It was a good clean harvest and a real rush facing her on the ground.

P.S. Great hunting partners are hard to find. I have one of the best. A geter done guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 05-24-2007 at 22:00. Reason: sp

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wink Congrads!

What do they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! Good job!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Awesome!

That is an awesome story!!! First of all..a bear with a bow...second...a bear at 12-15 yards with a bow, third...a bear standing on it's hind legs with you on the ground at 12-15 yards with a bow and getting a complete pass through. That right there my friend is AWESOME. I wouldn't care how big it is....a story like that will outlive any 7 foot rug on the wall. Those slick tricks are one mean broadhead....I love them.

Congrats....it does look like a fuzzy rascal!

Default Nice

Nice Bear Dave, really good looking hide. Quite a story.

Default Great hunt

Dave,
    I guarantee you and your hunting partner will be telling this hunting story for years to come.A hunt like this is good to have someone there sharing it with.Good hunt and good luck to you and your partner now it's his turn

Default Partner

The camcorder is all charged and ready to go. Filming is almost as good as the hunting part. Looks like Sat. evening will be his turn.

Wel done mate. Great story and lovely bear.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default nice!

Good job Dave! That sounded like a pretty exciting time! Good luck with the partners!

Wow that is an awesome story and i bet was even better getting a shot like that with your bow.

Default Judging

We must be good at judging. We both thought 6'. I just did the hide and she squares: 6' by 6'2". About as close to six as your going to get.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Partners time!

Thats a great bear.Job well done!

Default Nice one Dave

Good job Dave. Nice bear.

Steve