Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Peninsula Brown Bear

Default AK Peninsula Brown Bear

Hey all,

Had a wonderful trip out on the AK Peninsula for Brown Bear. We were fortunate to have some decent weather. Mostly sunny and windy. I ended up taking a real nice sow that was right at 8.5' with a 24" skull and fat as she was long. We spotted her from about 500 yards down stream and put a great stock on her. At about 100 yards, we had to chase off another bear and almost got busted. She knew something was up, but being unable to see us, or smell us, she just gave us the stair down for 5 min. Finally, returning to go back to fishing. We then stalked to 40 yards and I let an arrow fly. she let a huge roar! I hit right on my mark, but my penetration wasn't very good. I ended up only getting 1 lung. How far can an angry sow run on 1 lung before bedding down? About 1.5 miles through the alders. She bled heavily the whole time. As you can see, her whole side is red. On the bright side, she did ran towards camp and our pickup point, making the pack considerably shorter.

I am at awe at just how powerful these creatures are! I can honestly say, no other animal i have hunted would have made it 1.5 miles on 1 lung bleeding as much as she did. She truly was a beast! Nothing like tracking a wounded bear through the alders and swamps to get your heart pounding!

Paul DEAD BEAR.jpg

Paul

Paul,
    SWEEEEEET bear.
    Love those Toklat colorings.

Rug it or mount it?
    BK

BK,

I dropped it off at Fur and Feather to make a rug out of her.

Paul

Congratulations........Very NICE Bear. Any bear with a bow is el'huge-O Gonads.

Bear.jpg

Here is a side view....

Great bear!!!! What is your set-up?

Great bear and even cooler that you got it with your bow. I would like to know the set up also and what slowed down your arrow (bone?). Great choice on a taxidermist.

Awesome job that is a great looking bear! Had to bea rush making the stalk and the follow up through the alders must have been something else.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfair View Post
    I am at awe at just how powerful these creatures are! I can honestly say, no other animal i have hunted would have made it 1.5 miles on 1 lung bleeding as much as she did. She truly was a beast! Nothing like tracking a wounded bear through the alders and swamps to get your heart pounding!
    Congrats... That's a pretty long shot on an animal that is known to be pretty heavily muscled. Was she dead when you got to her, or did you have to put one or two more into her when you got up up on her?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Can't congratulate you enough my friend. Too awesome. Brown Bear and Mtn Goat with my bow are my top two dream animals. Only a few more years and ill be able to chase them myself!

Nice work!

Congrats on a great bear. A beauty!

Wow. Nice job indeed. Nice bear by anyone's standards. But to shoot it with a bow is just icing on the cake.

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats! Arrowing a brown bear has got to be one of the most intense hunts one can do I would have to imagine!

Hey all,

For those curious, I was using:
    2013 Elite Hunter - 29" Draw
    Easton Full Metal Jackets
    Muzzy 100g Broadheads

I had been using a Mathews Z7 until I gave it to my dad for Christmas. Both are stellar bows! I went over to Fullcurl archery with the intent of buying another Mathews, came out with the Elite. The valley and wall on the Elite are just amazing. As other have said, Fullcurl is an awesome shop with great people to work with.

I think I had plenty of KE and punch with my setup. I just didn't get the penetration because I took the shot when she was sitting down. I felt confident of my arrow placement and the situation seemed right to take the shot, but in hindsight, I should have waited until she stood up on all fours. Bears tend to get a bit balled up when sitting down. Would have liked to seen the arrow go all the way through her, next time ill wait for the standing broadside shot.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations........Very NICE Bear. Any bear with a bow is el'huge-O Gonads.
    My thought exactly!!! I couldn't imagine the adrenalin rush!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Now that's how you break in a New bow. Congrat's
    Great looking bear, The head looks like it should have been a boar.

Way to go buddy! I can't wait to come over and see the rug in a few months when you get it back. You might need to move into a bigger place with more wall space after you get this season's trophies back from the taxi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nice work man. Arrow penetration is a big deal on large thick AK game. I have 80 pound limbs on order for my Hoyt from Full Curl Archery. I'll be chasing bears this Spring along the SE coast. Yours is a beauty and will fill a wall nicely.

Awesome job! Thanks for sharing, can't imagine a 1.5 tracking job on a wounded grizz....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast