Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas fish tank

Default Cabelas fish tank

Thought I would share this...

I read that Cabelas was going to use wild Kenai trout to stock their fish tank. Here's some more info regarding this.

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Blog-Fi...rage-unlikely/

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post

I read that Cabelas was going to use wild Kenai trout to stock their fish tank. Here's some more info regarding this.

Once the Cabelas folks saw how beat up those Kenai rainbows are, no doubt they were going to opt for hatchery fish anyways. I have yet to catch a Kenai rainbow that didn't show obvious signs of being caught multiple times before.

I was reading on Facebook. That cableas was stopped from doing this last week .

Yeah I saw it too some people were really upset. I didn't have much of an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post

Well good. Sounds like the F & G put the kabosh on that plan. I think they will do a lot better with the hatchery fish anyhow. They should be a lot easier to feed and maintain. If they tried to keep the wild ones they would have to find a way to provide natural food items like roe, aquatic insects, sculpins, forage fish, crustaceans etc. Wild trout are a lot more sensitive to aquariums than bass and bluegill.

not to mention just getting them to the store and keeping them alive from that. Personally I think hatchery fish are the better option.

What I would like to know is why this Corp is allowed to do fish farming in any way in the state of Alaska. Alaska is a NO fish farming in the state. Why can they do it and not I ? When I want to get into growing food Vegs with Aquaculture the only fish I can work with here is gold fish and KOi.

The greater concern is keeping track of where these fish (especially the pike) end up when tanks get cleaned, or remodeled, or when the almighty box store ultimately closes its doors.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Where did the original brood stock for hatchery fish come from?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The greater concern is keeping track of where these fish (especially the pike) end up when tanks get cleaned, or remodeled, or when the almighty box store ultimately closes its doors.
    Fish Fry...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

When I lived in MN I worked for the DNR.
    They always had big fish tanks at the county fair using fish they caught in test net surveys.
    We tried not having the fish but enough people complained that it made it to the governors office and he demanded the fish tanks full of local fish be returned.
    My coworkers and I had the job of returning the fish to a local lake. Well we knew they were all going to die after a week or two in the fish tanks and being released back into the wild as it happened every year.
    So we always filleted the ones of edible size and returned the small fish back to the lake.
    Many people in the office knew we did it as we got caught filleting on the workbench in the shop. Nobody really cared though and the public always saw us releasing some fish back into the lake. It never amounted to a lot of fish and certainly less than a sportfish limit.
    It would not surprise me if Cabelas fish ended up with the same fate.
    Though I predict ADF&G will give them a permit for the tank and have strict rules on what happens with these fish during cleaning or if the tanks ever go away etcetera.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Personally seeing a Cabelas fish tank in person was a big disapointment, the fish were all beat up and looked like spawn outs ready for the trip down stream.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

The two Cabelas fish ponds I've seen were pretty cool and really this whole thread is much ado about nothing.

here a pictuce of the tanks below the super cub.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

just a tib bit but LL Bean [ MAINE ] has a fish pond the last time I was there an the fish looked great in the moving water some Rain bows an Brookies
    if I remenber correctley
    SID

after reading what I could, you should still see a fish tank in Cabelars an you will find F & G will get them some fish , [ GOOD PR for them & the state ]
    I think SID

now I am disappointed, other Cabela's stores I have been to had a stream running through the store with brookies and bows in it…….all we get are tanks?????? Seriously?????? Oh well at least there is some thing to be said for free ship to store rates.

Who cares what the fish look like? They are fat and well fed, Kids love to see the fish, hell I'm a grown man and still love to see fish in a tank. Lighten up people.

What I think is ironic is that anybody including Cabelas and Bass Pro can kill one rainbow a day under 18 inches below Skilak or kill one per day under 16 inches in the Upper River and everybody is fine with that. Now, if somebody goes through the proper channels and gets a permit so they can keep that one trout per day alive, some people blow a gasket! IRONIC.......
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    What I think is ironic is that anybody including Cabelas and Bass Pro can kill one rainbow a day under 18 inches below Skilak or kill one per day under 16 inches in the Upper River and everybody is fine with that. Now, if somebody goes through the proper channels and gets a permit so they can keep that one trout per day alive, some people blow a gasket! IRONIC.......

AGREED!!! Alaska guide list was bringing a lot of attention to it on Instagram and I was kind of floored by all the negative attention. Just people talking before thinking. I have flyfished the Kenai all my life practicing c&r and never been more disturber then while fishing the lower river watching red neck honkkies using eggs to slam and kill huge rainbows. Never hear anything about that. But cabelas goes through the correct process and turns out to be a no go, so okay leave it at that. I will continue to shop at Cabelas love the store. For the people that only have time to hate go find a cause worth talking about, and no one wants to hear your opinions. By the way ive been slaying it on the kenai this year tons of big fish!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast