Thread: Whats your preference of these jigs?

Default Whats your preference of these jigs?

So I got to casting some squid heads the other day.
    The molds I have give me several options as far as hook and eye placement.
    Some I made are horizontal with fixed hooks. Some are horizontal with free swinging hooks. there are two eye placement options on these one centered and one further forward.
    Then there is the horizontal squid heads.
    I make these in all sizes from 1oz to 16oz and all are powder painted with a UV blast clearcoat.
    So given the option, Color and size notwithstanding, which would you prefer?

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Then there is the vertical squid heads.
    Oops that should have read as above and said vertical as the last option.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk now Free

The horizontal hanging jig needs a fixed hook. The vertical hanging jig can go free swinging hook but I would put a big barrel swivel in there not just a split ring. Look good!

Scott

It doesn't matter Chris all of those beauties will catch fishermen !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    It doesn't matter Chris all of those beauties will catch fishermen !!!

Isn't that the most important thing Steve? Lol
    Really was fun playing around with the new molds plus the powder paints and the powder paint airbrush.
    well back to making jigs I got a new mold in a couple of days ago and I need to get some made.

I really like the bottom one (I think). The eye placement reminds me of the airplane jigs we used to just kill the lakers on back in Colorado, and for that style of jigging, a fixed hook worked the best. I'll bet those jigs work great!

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    I really like the bottom one (I think). The eye placement reminds me of the airplane jigs we used to just kill the lakers on back in Colorado, and for that style of jigging, a fixed hook worked the best. I'll bet those jigs work great!
    The bottom one is the fixed hook horizontal one.
    I made some in a 1oz size to try for lakers this winter.
    In the bucket test they hop in circles very similarly to an Airplane jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    The horizontal hanging jig needs a fixed hook. The vertical hanging jig can go free swinging hook but I would put a big barrel swivel in there not just a split ring. Look good!

Scott
    I always use a corkscrew swivel on my line to attach jigs to so I am not sure a second swivel is necessary.
    The mold does have the option of adding a swivel to the bottom eye before molding.
    I may make a few that way at sometime but like I said I don't find it all that necessary with the way I rig things myself.

The sultan of molten metals and powder coats !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post

Scott
    This is what I think as well Chris.

I have had better success with the horizontal version and the fixed/upward turns hook keeps from hanging on bottom.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Default Horizontal jigs

Chris,
    These jigs look very interesting. Could you please send me a pm. I look forward to speaking with you. Thanks

I have had better success with the horizontal version and the fixed/upward turns hook keeps from hanging on bottom.[/QUOTE]

I sent you a PM.
    What questions do you have about these jigs? The answers may be beneficial to whoever reads this.
    Personally the vertical version is my favorite. I need to get out next summer and do some more testing on these though.
    I am getting to the point where I almost have too many choices on which jigs to fish. And yet I keep ordering more molds of different stuff.lol
    Thankfully I have test crews testing things for me so I don't have to do all of that myself.

I like the the top one in the top picture, I would go with larger hooks though.

This may not even be a concern, but I was wondering if the horizontal headed jigs might become fouled with the fishing line due to drag induced by the skirts/hooks on the business end and the wide presentation of the front during a fast drop or just regular jigging action?? You sure create some awesome gear!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    This may not even be a concern, but I was wondering if the horizontal headed jigs might become fouled with the fishing line due to drag induced by the skirts/hooks on the business end and the wide presentation of the front during a fast drop or just regular jigging action?? You sure create some awesome gear!!
    These jigs are new so I haven't had time for any field testing. Next summer between me and the test crews we will hopefully answer your question.
    In the bucket test the Horizontal fixed hook jig does fall nose first.
    Getting others opinions of jigs like this is part of the reason for posting the question and pics on the forum.
    Some people seem to like the swing hook versions while others think the fixed hook version is a better option.
    Time spent testing will help me answer the questions I guess.
    When I bought the molds I had a crappy sandcast vertical squid head that was giving me fits in casting and was an all around crappy mold.
    I ordered the horizontal fixed hook molds first. When I ordered the new CNC machined swing hook squids I asked the mold maker for the vertical version. He sent me an email and pic showing all the options with a swing hook. So I figured what the heck it was a cheap way to get a lot more options from one mold. I put the eyes where I want them and trim the flash where the other eyes slots are after casting.
    I really do enjoy jig making and playing with the powder coat paints.I have found the powder coat airbrush is a really cool way to give a jig accent colors.
    I also like to have as many size and style options of a jig as possible. Just my nature I guess. It just makes sense to me to make a jig that I can use for rockfish and a jig of the same style in a different size for Halibut and lings.
    I am thinking these squid jigs are going to be killer on the fish next summer.
    I am in the works of acquiring some new cool molds that I think people will really like and I'll post pics when I get them in and get some finished.
    Some jig makers make one style of bottom fish jig but I like to offer multiple options.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Don't let your line go slack when dropping a jig and tangles won't be an issue. If one has a spasmodic motion and drops the rod tip faster than the jig drops than tangles can be an issue, but with proper motion it's seldom a problem. Casting jigs can cause problems but I rarely cast them. Sometimes if the current is causing a fast drift I'll cast the jigs up current to give myself a short time of verticle jigging but the best solution when the currents ripping is to find a good spot and anchor.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.