Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More hunters motivated by meat . . .

Default More hunters motivated by meat . . .

—for the entire article: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....5-d4ae527548e1

Attachment 74533

New Research Shows Hunters Increasingly Motivated by the Meat

Reasons Include the Recession, the Locavore Movement,
    and More Women Hunting

Recent national and state-level research conducted by Responsive Management reveals that obtaining meat is an increasingly important motivation among American hunters to go afield. While there are several reasons for this growth in the segment of hunters who engage in hunting for utilitarian reasons, several of Responsive Management's new studies make clear that the trend is widespread and unmistakable.

The Evidence
    In a 2013 nationwide scientific telephone survey measuring hunting participation among Americans ages 18 years old and older, a question asked hunters about their single most important reason for hunting in the year prior to the survey. Respondents were asked to choose from a list of potential reasons, including being with family and friends, being close to nature, for the sport/recreation, for the meat, or for a trophy. In response, more than a third of hunters (35%) chose "for the meat" as the most important reason for their recent hunting participation. However, what is most noteworthy is the substantial increase in the percentage of hunters giving this answer since the last time the question was asked: in a similar nationwide survey conducted in 2006, just 22% of American adult hunters named "for the meat" as their most important reason for going hunting. While the percentages of hunters naming one of the other reasons either remained stable or declined between 2006 and 2013, those who named the meat as the most important reason for their hunting participation increased by 13 percentage points.

What! No catch and release?
    I'm 50/50 between loving the experience and bringing home meat. A meat run isn't really hunting IMO, but a hunt without killing is still a hunt.

PS-
    as meat prices go up, we're gonna have some real pressure on quick close-by meat hunts and associated poaching. Hold onto your hats boys. It ain't gonna be pretty.

That list omitted "because chicks dig it"
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It seems to me that some respondents may be choosing the most socially acceptable answer instead of the most honest one.

Personally I enjoy the whole experience from planning to excecution then processing meat and eventually cooking and consumption. I value game meat much higher than store bought stuff and often have a memory or two along with each meal.

Cost wise I know that it doesn't pencil out for me unless I place a value on the experience.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    PS-
    as meat prices go up, we're gonna have some real pressure on quick close-by meat hunts and associated poaching. Hold onto your hats boys. It ain't gonna be pretty.
    "we're gonna have"? This is already the case...but I agree that it looks to get even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    What! No catch and release?
    I'm 50/50 between loving the experience and bringing home meat. A meat run isn't really hunting IMO, but a hunt without killing is still a hunt.
    +1. Very true
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

This follows along with the growing awareness of our food supply and the far reaching impacts of our food choices beyond simply calories and fat content. From Pollan writing The Omnivore's Dilemma forth, more and more Americans have come to understand that harvesting one's own meat is in fact more ethically and environmentally sound than buying feedlot beef or "free-range" chickens that lived in boxes scarcely larger than their own bodies. Just in the past four years I've introduced three friends to hunting who fall far outside the range of the stereotypical hunter. Their interest was (and still is) driven by meat alone, and not simply because it is the most socially palatable option.

The experience matters to me (and lots of other hunters) a great deal, but make no mistake - there is a significant cadre of new hunters who are motivated by the environmental and ethical values of wild meat. I'm glad to see it.

I sure miss the annual deer hunts I made to Kodiak for some 20 years that fed my family not only for the nutritional value but for me the love of the hunt. Maybe the cost didn't pencil out as has been mentioned but what hunt does (oh the moose that walks by the back porch) but who's counting those pennies anyway.

Of course it's a fine thing to sit down at the table and put a big tasty chunk of wild game into your mouth. But....there is something so gratifying in knowing what it took for you to get to that point.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Don't know about you, but has anyone noticed the cost of Meat at the grocery store lately? That reason alone would be my thinking as to why more people are hunting for meat. As my Grandfather use to say "you cant make soup out of horns".
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

It also seems more and more of our meat supply is becoming infected by Ecoli etc.
    At least with my own game I know how it was handled.
    Even if the cost doesn't pan out I know my wild game is healthier than store bought meat as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

I am one who hunts primarily for the meat because I like knowing where it came from and how it was handled from field to table. Up to about 10 years ago I was all about the trophy, but middle-age has changed my perspective and I no longer measure myself by the size of the antlers or horns on the big game I bring home.

I also enjoy the personal challenge each hunt offers, esp solo hunts, but with each passing year I more enjoy the fellowship of hunting with a partner(s) from planning through execution regardless of success.

Although I've had my $20/lb hunting seasons, I kept track of the fuel costs and gear I bought (minimal) for my local moose hunts this year. It was my least expensive season per pound since I moved to AK 7 years ago @ $4.50/lb. I cannot buy a beef steak in the store for less than $5/lb, so I consider this season to have been very good and am very thankful!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

did not purchase any new gear this year, 3 full 15cu freezers of moose and fish, cost a total of 327.00 in fuel/food
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

$20/lb, i wish my hunts were all at least that good! Sheep hunting a few years back I figured I was in the $40/lb range! That was even for burger! Ouch! Then the haul road trips where all you shoot is a ptarmigan.. Pushing $350+/ lb! I hunt because I enjoy being out there and the meat is delicious. I go crazy if I can't get out and hunt.

I look at it this way, I spend the same or less on my hunting than most avid golfers do on their sport annually......and you can't eat your scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I look at it this way, I spend the same or less on my hunting than most avid golfers do on their sport annually......and you can't eat your scorecard.
    Sure ya can, eat it just like you would tag soup!!

Cool,

it's good to see folks value the meats, something I think actually has a higher proportion of Hunters doing here in Alaska, against the percentage of those in the lower 49.

Meat, women, Locmotion used in Hunting.....yep

Attachment 74546

Attachment 74547
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Cool,

it's good to see folks value the meats, something I think actually has a higher proportion of Hunters doing here in Alaska, against the percentage of those in the lower 49.

Meat, women, Locmotion used in Hunting.....yep

Attachment 74546

Attachment 74547
    You may be right about more people motivated to hunt by the meat here vs the Lower 48, but you could be wrong too. I don't know the numbers on the whole, but I do know from personal experience that a lot more people hunt for cheap meat in various areas of the Lower 48 than they do here. As hinted by sambuck, many of us shell out a decent amount of money to hunt here in AK (not you stranger or Vince, but many of the Anchorage denizen for sure), given the cost of just getting into the area. But I grew up in northern NY in an area with a pretty high poverty rate. Lots of the folks who hunted did so on land within 5 miles of their house, no ATV, nothing fancy other than a tree stand made of scrap wood, basically for the cost of bullets. If you really wanted to live the high life (if you had cash to throw around), you would pay someone $40 to cut up a whole deer, including grinding burger and making sausage. If you knew a corn farmer (everyone did), he'd let you set up on the fringe of his field in a make-shift blind, and you could shoot 2-3 geese on a good day. So the cheap meat argument actually works a lot better in the Lower 48 than it does for most people here, I think.
    My signature is awesome.

Of course I could be wrong, Greg, this is the internet , and I am a Man.........

While gas is 8$+ a gallon here, Meat aint cheap.
    But I do think theres common motivations, and I explaind the local to me economy to a guy in CA this way, a while back to the tune that if minimume wage gets a guy 2 gallons of gas an hour in LA, hes makeing near 8$ an hour. 16.16$ an hour would be the same here. Im likely biased in seeing quite a few local to me folks really happy they have Caribou while the fishing is a disaster right now.

As well , the big game we hunt here as well as the fur are neither close nor do they stay in one area, they migrate all over. We spend a substancial ammount on transportation. Haveing your ride working is one expense, filling up on propellent and getting out is anoth major expense. personally i dump all my $ into my ride and gas, and get the food, heat, fur and such while under locomotion.....it aint cheap here, either. Dog Mushers were a bit like the folks you describe, but Caribou and Wolves are all over the place , and a fellas got to cover some substancial distances, rideing or pushing a sled.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast