Thread: High winds.

Default High winds.

How hard will it blow and dux still get up and fly? I wanted to try for a Thursday afternoon hunt before these big tides. The wind forecast is still banging Thursday afternoon. 50 to 70. 50 maybe. 70 now way right? Any thoughts?

We've always found that with both wind and rain a little is no big deal but a lot means the birds lay low. But on the other hand, we've had great jump hunting with hard blows and hard rain for basically two reasons-the birds don't hear you coming and (if you approach from down wind) they are fairly easy targets. But strong winds can make for some REALLY long retrieves if a bird is not knocked down. I prefer enough winds to keep the deks moving and some clouds to keep the deks looking more realistic.....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

High winds are really not a huge factor.. I have had fantastic shoots with some members on here in winds of over 40-50. Been out at DL... Probably the only time in the history of that lake when 70% of all the water was blown out of it..lol was just a mudflat.. Had to anchor boat half way across lake and walk back in 2ft if mud.. Nuts..

put your spread right behind the upper end of cover or upwind of you water hole.. Calmer water.. They will fly low and fast.. When they decide to come in.. They will be sitting still about 3 ft over decoys.. Easy shot..

I love the high wind confidence talk!! Thanks guys!! 🍻🍻

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter01 View Post
    high winds are really not a huge factor.. I have had fantastic shoots with some members on here in winds of over 40-50. Been out at dl... Probably the only time in the history of that lake when 70% of all the water was blown out of it..lol was just a mudflat.. Had to anchor boat half way across lake and walk back in 2ft if mud.. Nuts..

Put your spread right behind the upper end of cover or upwind of you water hole.. Calmer water.. They will fly low and fast.. When they decide to come in.. They will be sitting still about 3 ft over decoys.. Easy shot..
    what he said!