Thread: Dall sheep Theory

Default Dall sheep Theory

"The snowshoe hare cycle has an impact on Dall sheep, according to research done by state wildlife biologist Steve Arthur, who monitors sheep populations in the Alaska Range. The two main predators of Dall sheep are coyotes and golden eagles, both of which also prey on snowshoe hares. When hares are at a high, coyotes and golden eagles produce more young, which inevitably increases the number of predators on sheep, specifically lambs"

Maybe on the KP there has been such a deficit of snowshoe hares that the sheep are encountering more predators. HMMM, I remember numbers being good, but now not so. I wonder if the sheep pop will get even worse. ****.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Part of the reason our AC has tried to expand coyote season to year round and encourage people to shoot them during the season if they get the chance. One of our members actually looked into having a golden eagle season because of their high predation on lamb crops. Of course that would be harder to make happen than Congress agreeing on a budget!

Saw my first Coyote in Unit 13 this year. Sitting on a mountain top at 4500 and here pops Willy Coyote out of the brush. Not quick enough on the trigger.

Interesting study that makes intuitive sense.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

What's counter-intuitive though is how wolf control can increase coyote populations. Unintended effects and all that.

Also, HuntAK59, that one quote from the Arthur study doesn't necessarily give the full picture. Not sure if this is the same report:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...sh-pred03f.pdf

In some ways it's kind of a wash, cuz as the report states, when the hares decline so rapidly, eagle nesting decreases, coyotes don't have pups etc. The work Tom Lohuis is doing now in the Chugach will add more insight into what is going on now with sheep, predation, weather effects, disease etc. At least in southcentral region.

Mark,
    thank you for posting the link. Is it true S. Arthur now works for the park service? if so seems the stat lost a great sheep bio.
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    What's counter-intuitive though is how wolf control can increase coyote populations. Unintended effects and all that.

Also, HuntAK59, that one quote from the Arthur study doesn't necessarily give the full picture. Not sure if this is the same report:

In some ways it's kind of a wash, cuz as the report states, when the hares decline so rapidly, eagle nesting decreases, coyotes don't have pups etc. The work Tom Lohuis is doing now in the Chugach will add more insight into what is going on now with sheep, predation, weather effects, disease etc. At least in southcentral region.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

very valid reasoning! Sounds like the sheep are screwed either way. Arggg. This circle of life isn't easy. It doubles back quite often
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Saw my first Coyote in Unit 13 this year. Sitting on a mountain top at 4500 and here pops Willy Coyote out of the brush. Not quick enough on the trigger.

Interesting study that makes intuitive sense.
    Lots of them in there (of course the unit is huge). I saw several last year. I didn't want to shoot and run off the caribou we were after.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem