Thread: Fishing Silty Waters for Salmon

Default Fishing Silty Waters for Salmon

Just in general, do you guys have any tips for fishing silty glacier rivers for Salmon? Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Silt

Soakin roe if it is legal is the best method I've seen. I've also done well casting a bright chartreuse spinner right on the silt line before.

Is there any special way to do the roe fishing? Like weight it down a bunch? I try to avoid fishing on the silt line because it is always so crowded with people in most rivers.

For silvers I've done real well with a 2 foot leader and a weight big enough just to hold against the current. You also want a small corky near your hook so it floats the eggs off the bottom a few inches. Cast it out and just let it sit. It's kindof a boring way to fish but it can be very effective in certain areas. This method works best when fishing in a slough or slow water. I have also done well with a bobber and eggs but you have to know the water depth, you want the roe to be within a foot of the bottom in my opinion.

Get a subsistence permit and use a net or fish wheel
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Floss 'em
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by DJ210 View Post
    Just in general, do you guys have any tips for fishing silty glacier rivers for Salmon? Thanks for any suggestions!
    Slip bobber and eggs has been deadly for me. Adjust the knot so your eggs are just off the bottom and let the bobber and eggs float with the current. I had some of the best silver fishing of my life this year in dirty water using this setup.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I second that motion. These methods are deadly for all species of salmon in fresh water except reds. If the fish are near they will hit. Also, put a piece of marshmallow on the hook. It works as an attractant and helps with flotation to keep the roe off the bottom..."Fishon"
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    For silvers I've done real well with a 2 foot leader and a weight big enough just to hold against the current. You also want a small corky near your hook so it floats the eggs off the bottom a few inches. Cast it out and just let it sit. It's kindof a boring way to fish but it can be very effective in certain areas. This method works best when fishing in a slough or slow water. I have also done well with a bobber and eggs but you have to know the water depth, you want the roe to be within a foot of the bottom in my opinion.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

the trailrace has provided me with fast fishing for silvers given they are there with a bobber and eggs with the eggs sitting about 6-12 inches below the bobber. don't know why it works so well for me there but does. I seen them jumping in an area one day and went to that spot and noticed that there was way more then a couple and very few were jumping just fining almost not quite. I noticed they were eating tiny fish at the first foot of water so I gave it a try. next year I am going to try tiny rapalas at the sun side of the top clear column. I am sure this method will work in most places that have poor water quality if the fish are rising for some reason.