Thread: Moose still in rut?

Default Moose still in rut?

Are the moose still in rut? I have an archery tag that opens Oct 21st DM444, just curious if moose still are and should rutting?

Thanks in advance

I've never had any luck with bulls responding to calls this late but it certainly can't hurt to try.

Anybody know if moose are like other deer in that any female that wasn't bred the first time around goes into estrous a month later?....Works for many other species, perhaps the boys will still be on the hunt.

Cow Moose will go back in rut if they were not bred the first time I think it's after 6 weeks. So cows are not in rut at this time. A bull is no different than any male when a cow is ready so will he.

The bulls are still coming to calls here at the house. Had a bruiser come up 2 nights ago.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Had a late season cow tag a few years ago and found the moose to be rutting hard right around the 9th of October.

Thanks I will try cow calling on Monday when my hunt opens. I will let you know how it goes.

last night seen a hareem of nine cows and decent bull- with a small bull moose on the "salalite" patrol trying to get in on the action.

Bigger bull had the classic swollen neck and driol of a rutting bull.

only had cell phone so didn't get great shots, but good enough to prove seen eleven moose in one spot - with a decent set of horns herding all the cows.

Chris

Went shooting at Kincaid with the bow. Bull was hard on a cow. Got some cool footage at 7 yards. They wouldnt get off MY course
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

It's October 23, I don't think a group of cows are together this time of year because of the rut. What makes more sense to me is they are at or close to there wintering grounds.

MAC- they could be headed that way. But bigger bull was in classic rut mode-
    And I got some poor photos on pisspoor cellphone too

So with the longer warm weather here in North Pole this year... looks like the rut is still on.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    MAC- they could be headed that way. But bigger bull was in classic rut mode-
    And I got some poor photos on pisspoor cellphone too

So with the longer warm weather here in North Pole this year... looks like the rut is still on.

Chris
    Post #4 six days ago “Cow Moose will go back in rut if they were not bred the first time I think it's after 6 weeks. So cows are not in rut at this time. A bull is no different than any male when a cow is ready so will he.”

Young cows do go into ester early in the season so it's is possible or are the guy's just showing off for the girls. LOL

I shot a bull in a late season registration hunt several years ago. We saw one other bull with his nose tight to a cow; followed her right out of the valley. I bull roared at a lone cow, and she stopped, urinated on her legs, and started trotting our way. We put down two bulls; there was a mid 40's bull about a mile away. I took one rack and whacked the other with it as hard as I could, and the bull started our way on a dead run. So I would say rut was still in full swing, in the mountains at treeline in late October.

in that hunt area, you better believe they're still rutting. warm season, great weather, ect. I just watched two separate bulls the same day, going bananas chasing cows. big bulls too.

DM444 Update:
    Spend three days (one day scouting and two bow hunting) and did not see a moose. For those who don't know DM444 is north of Eagle River, Mirror and Edmonds Lake Parks. Searched the entire DM444 hunt pretty closely and found pretty good 'old' moose sign, rubbed and scraped trees all appears to be in the past couple weeks. The only fresh sign appears to be moose moving through the area on the west side of the Glenn Highway from the Eklutna River moving south through the hunt area. We did not find any moose sign up by Camp Gorsuch east of the Glenn Highway. We spend a fair amount of time calling without any luck. The hunt is open through Mid-November so I will give it another try but i might wait until we get a little snow. FG only gave two archery tags for the hunt area. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wink

I agree.. get out and hunt

do "accepting cow" calls- (reseptive?)

me spelling isn't great this am

and cover ground

mid-sized bulls will be looking and traveling to find a response cow.

big bulls will be with a haram

last night seen a 35 to 40 incher running a big older cow, and acting like a whitetail buck with a HOT doe.

his neck wasn't as swollon like the harem bull tuesday evening was though...

this morning had three cows out by themselves (each alone) on way to work - no calves with them
    that tells me the cows have pushed last years spawn away and are looking for action.

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 10-24-2013 at 07:46. Reason: can't seem to spell this morn

Call your butt off. If you have a shed antler, smash it against a tree like crazy. Bulls come looking when they hear fighting. A canoe paddle or shoulder blade works too. Do some loud cow calling. Mix it up, try to find something that works. Good luck!

yesterday (Sunday morn) got to watch a bull mount a cow across the road from my house (wooded- fly over zone)

he only had about a 35 - 40 inch rack... but the cow seemed to chase him first, then the nose to tail sesson, a lot of cow "sweet talk" and the main event just 40 yards from the road.

Chris