Thread: Made some icefishing jigs

Default Made some icefishing jigs

Finally got around to making some icefishing jigs. Some of these are smaller versions of my saltwater jigs.
    These are 1 oz and 1.5 oz. Not sure if I will do bucktail or a skirt.
    I also need to pick a hook for the other jigs.
    I hope they work well for lakers this winter.

These are smaller jigs for trout. Some wobble jigs, swim jigs, and round heads. These are just a few of the jigs I made.
    I was trying a new powder paint clearcoat with glitter in it. I am still not sold on it.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Very nice. Lakers can't wait. Let us know how they work this winter

you will find out the ability of the jig to catch fish will improve with the eye [ standing out ] this will be on all jigs I asure you ,
    great work , wish you luck SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    you will find out the ability of the jig to catch fish will improve with the eye [ standing out ] this will be on all jigs I asure you ,
    great work , wish you luck SID
    I suppose that may hold true in ice fishing.
    I think in my saltwater fishing at greater depths I believe many things incorporated into the jigs are more appealing to the fisherman than the fish.
    Granted if a person buys more of a certain jig due to the way it looks then that is a good thing as both the seller and buyer are happier with the transaction.
    I do like the jigs with 3D eyes on them. More of a pain to put them on and epoxy them in but it does look nicer.
    When I bought my bigger bullet head jig mold for saltwater I opted for the jig size to be on the jigs versus having 3D eyes on them. I prefer that option for halibut and Lingcod on a bullet head yet many of my other jigs do have the 3D eyes.
    As for the icefishing I suppose if it gives the angler more confidence then that is a good thing. In our clear deepwater lakes I suppose details such as 3D eyes may also be more visible and thus more appealing to the fish.
    Time will tell and I will certainly enjoy testing them out.

Laker jigs look sweet Chris!!!!
    Did you make any in glow?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Laker jigs look sweet Chris!!!!
    Did you make any in glow?

DUH!!! Of course I made some in glow. Actually Super Glow. White and orange and blue and green. Also blue, green,and orange backs over a glow white basecoat.
    Oh and they have a UV blast clearcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    DUH!!! Of course I made some in glow. Actually Super Glow. White and orange and blue and green. Also blue, green,and orange backs over a glow white basecoat.
    Oh and they have a UV blast clearcoat.

After tagging and releasing hundreds of large lakers at my home lake as well as lake trout fishing all over for over 30 years I have tested many different jigs and colors and now use only tube baits in 2 different colors for all species. On your jigs I would use maribou instead of bucktail and I also like to use rabbit fur as it comes alive when wet. For lake trout its 5/0 and 6/0 super sharp owner hooks , for Saltwater I just up the size of hooks and tubes accordingly. Really no need to paint and powder coat jigs unless you are really bored as the tube baits will out perform anyway and just pour em and use em. I pour hundreds every year and use them all over for pretty much all species year round.

I have caught a lot of fish on white tube jigs.
    The reason I want to try these is because I have the molds for my saltwater jigs that also make these sizes.
    I figured why not try them icefishing?

Yah, with maribou or rabbit fur those will make some awesome jigs, I'd like to try some. Can you ship me some? Or can I get a mold? I like to pour mine so they swim horizontal and customize my molds for that. When ice fishing them for lakers try running one suspended 20'-50' up and watch your sonar!!! Reeling away triggers the bite. I like that style with the wide body

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Yah, with maribou or rabbit fur those will make some awesome jigs, I'd like to try some. Can you ship me some? Or can I get a mold? I like to pour mine so they swim horizontal and customize my molds for that. When ice fishing them for lakers try running one suspended 20'-50' up and watch your sonar!!! Reeling away triggers the bite. I like that style with the wide body
    Yeah I suppose I could make you a few might be a few weeks though as I am about to head back to the slope for 2 weeks.
    I could give you the mold makers info but be warned it will cost you at least $150 to get the mold with the sizes you would want.
    I just put the Tri-Beam iceducer on my Vexilar FL20 and I really can't wait to see how it does versus the regular iceducer I have been using.

I just put the Tri-Beam iceducer on my Vexilar FL20 and I really can't wait to see how it does versus the regular iceducer I have been using.
    Couldn't afford a Marcum, huh Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Couldn't afford a Marcum, huh Chris?
    Actually I bought one at the end of last season for my stepson for his birthday.
    Unfortunately I don't think he will get to use it this season but that's a long story. I am hopeful next year he will get to try it out.
    That way he will quit stealing my Vex.
    I think if you tried my Vex you might just switch over yourself.
    They are the original flasher. Also it seems your Marcum has too much power.
    Here is a link to the article.http://www.idofishing.com/forum/show...ilar-vs-marcum

Actually I bought one at the end of last season for my stepson for his birthday.
    Unfortunately I don't think he will get to use it this season but that's a long story. I am hopeful next year he will get to try it out.
    That way he will quit stealing my Vex.
    I think if you tried my Vex you might just switch over yourself.
    They are the original flasher. Also it seems your Marcum has too much power.
    Here is a link to the article.http://www.idofishing.com/forum/show...ilar-vs-marcum
    Funny, my LX-5 doesn't seem to scare away the fish.
    All of these fish were caught in less than 15 FOW.