Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Kings

Default Homer Kings

Anyone found or had reports of where the kings went after they left from in front of Nanwalek. My report is they let that area about a week and a half ago, but can not find where they went. Want to make a last trip if the water will let me. Thanks
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Anyone found or had reports of where the kings went after they left from in front of Nanwalek. My report is they let that area about a week and a half ago, but can not find where they went. Want to make a last trip if the water will let me. Thanks
    Still fish at the village,just some tides better than others. Had a good day on the corner during the derby and recent reports of more fish at the bluff. Some in the islands and up the bay ,but bring your pollack repellant

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    Still fish at the village,just some tides better than others. Had a good day on the corner during the derby and recent reports of more fish at the bluff. Some in the islands and up the bay ,but bring your pollack repellant
    +1. That's the intel/experience we had. I'd add we did catch three by the green can during the derby late in the evening when we tried it heading back to port.

Islands were "fishy" but too many pollock and birds. Bring tons of bait if you plan to fish there!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Thanks for the feed back. Now all I need is a break in the weather.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Went out Tuesday looking for kings out of my Kayak.

Good News for me: LOTS of kings close to the spit. I went 7 for 10 in 5 hours off my kayak from Land's End to the Green Can. Fishing a proxy so I kept 4. Used a Needlefish Hoochie behind a Dodger. First off a downrigger, then using a dip six diver.

Bad News: Every King I caught was under 10 pounds only 2 were jacks, the rest were small adult kings. Pollock were THICK. I lost a rod and reel set up. I lost a downrigger ball.

You will go broke fishing bait in the area so use artificial is the only word of advice I can give. Even trolling considerably faster the pollock would latch on.

I mainly fished 40ft down over 80 to 120ft of water.

Charterboat Operator

nice job bud, love that flexible schedule you got!!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    nice job bud, love that flexible schedule you got!!
    Thanks Pole Bender! I wish my schedule was more flexible. I have over a month of leave time coming to me! I hate taking week long vacations. Not a warm weather guy either. So...I typically run three & four day weekends during the peak of different fishing seasons but the past two years I haven't been able to get out as much!!! But I plan to hit the kings out of the kayak for as long as I hear they are close by and my rudder lines don't freeze!

Tried it again Saturday for a half day. One for three. Ended up keeping the tiny one. Bigger than what usually I call jacks but not really worthy of a "king" either.

Dealing with a pollock literally every 5 minutes made it tough fishing. The two real kings I hooked were easily within casting distance of the spit as I was right along the shore trying anything to avoid the pollock. Kept the tiny one since it was a bleeder. Probably would have kept it anyways for dinner. When I cut it open, it was in between the translucent red/orange flesh (not so oily) and the more opaque lighter orange color. So this looks to be about the size where anything smaller, I would let go. This one ate fine but not nearly as good as the more normal sized feeders. It looked different than any "small king" I have caught. No spots, fine skills, dis proportionally larger tail.

Boats that traveled further got into a nice mess of fish though. The kings are close if you have a small boat but I could sure use some pointers on avoiding the pollock other than "move" since its a tad tough with the kayak. Still it was great to get out! Watch out for Black ice if you are driving in the early morning! Hit a nice patch near clam gulch Saturday and that was some serious pucker factor!

IMAGE_115.jpg

Charterboat Operator

wierd, that little thing has an extremely deep fork in its tail for a king, perhaps cause it is so young?

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    wierd, that little thing has an extremely deep fork in its tail for a king, perhaps cause it is so young?
    Doesn't look quite "normal" does it? Here's a few close ups.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Looks more like a chum than a king.

mouth don't look like a chum tho, from what I can see of it.

Yeah V in the tail and large pupil looks like a chum to me also.

Tend to agree with the above posts, appears to be a chum based on lack of obvious spotting, forked tail, large pupil, and described orange/opaque flesh color. Probably not a spawn-bound fish this late in the season. Feeder chums are occasionally caught around Cook Inlet and the Gulf coast. As one area guide related to me years ago, a few chrome, immature feeder chums tend to show late in the year around Homer, in October/November for some reason. Additional close-up pics of the various fins would help establish identity. In any case, another nice (and somewhat unusual) catch!

I'm glad I am not the only one. Having fished salmon since 1971 here in Southcentral Alaska and supervised a commercial salmon facility, I'm embarrassed to say I still don't know what a ocean caught one year old salmon looks like of different species when it is like this. The meat looked a lot like the chums I have caught in the Ocean but then again it looked a lot like the Jack kings I have kept from homer...maybe slightly more orange versus the slightly brighter red I have seen in the jacks. Tasted like salmon but not the premium oily salmon I expect from feeder kings.

I'm leaning chum now but I still can't say definitively. So maybe a chum, a red, and kings the past month out of Homer!

The tail is a dead give away ... it's a dog.

Wow Kardinal, you rock! Next week you're going to post images of a feeder humpy or something. Super cool. I think buying a kayak is the way to go and so much cheaper than getting a boat. So those kings are close to the spit??? Really? you think its possible to get one from shore there? Do people ever get those winter kings from the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Wow Kardinal, you rock! Next week you're going to post images of a feeder humpy or something. Super cool. I think buying a kayak is the way to go and so much cheaper than getting a boat. So those kings are close to the spit??? Really? you think its possible to get one from shore there? Do people ever get those winter kings from the beach?
    Lol. As long as I have lived here, it's cool to have new things happen...including this whole winter king fishery given I grew up in Kenai.

Yup, a feeder pink and silver for the "feeder" grand slam.

Highly recommend kayak fishing. Keep in mind I know a boat that limited six anglers so there are HUGE disadvantages. But there are enough "peak" seasons where you can stay busy year round though dead of winter is tough. Cost of my trip to Homer was 450 miles worth of gas WITHOUT towing anything. My setup will run about $3K. That's kayak, upgraded rudder and fins, drysuit, sonar and shipping. You can do it for half that if you go with traditional paddle kayaks. I bet I save that in a year vs owning a powerboat capable of fishing the similar waters. For me, the ability to go alone at a moments notice is a huge plus.

I think others would know better about catching them from shore or if it's been done. The two kings I missed Saturday were within casting distance using heavier salmon or surf gear. I have VERY limited experience but I usually catch them further offshore but I know they do at times come super close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pollock clearing out by the spit. 2 for 4 on kings today. One 15lbs the other a dinky one. Beautimous day!!!! I can't believe I'm still fishing off my kayak in the ocean and sweating like crazy in the second week of November! Insane!
    And then catch fish, let alone kings? Unreal!

I hear the boats are HAMMERING them!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast