Thread: Thoughts on this boat/raft?

Default Thoughts on this boat/raft?

Any thoughts on this boat/raft for float hunting?

If fits in a 185. weights 315lbs. drafts 2inches at 1000lbs.

Overall thoughts?

Jon.

Once you built it leave it built unless you are flying out to like the Goodnews or something. Somewhat time consuming to put together. Drop Stitch construction has been around long enough to be proven. It has a reasonable warranty! Lots of You Tube data to review. Have you checked with Mark or Greg at AR&K to see about trial usage? I know if I lived in an area that it could be used I would consider it a viable option. IMO not a remote fly in boat like and Otter etc... still has the possibility if your looking for Drift Boat performance in a raft package however I would not be running a ton of III type water with it.

Regards

RMM

Well said-- " It is what it is" Rafts work better for flying and light fames-- Again just my thoughts.
    Goo

Diamond Plating and a frame that takes hours to assemble? Looks like a great "raft" for trailering, but as the two far more experienced posters have stated, that isn't a float plane friendly rig. You'd be better served with a cat or round boat that weighs 1/3 of that and is built to handle what may be encountered on remote floats.

Neat looking rig, no doubt, and it would be fun on road accessible rivers I'd wager.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Thoughts on this boat/raft?

Looks like a headache. I'd run the opposite direction.

In the realm of rafting and flying...Less is more.

3 heavier than many of the top picks.
    Limited load cap, 1000 isn't much on a fly out.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Well...I own her! So far, Ive ran it down the Kenai several times and really like the boat. Not below Jim's though.

It takes about an hour to put together, Ive left it assembled and move it on my flat bed that doubles as a wheeler/camper hauler.
    When you want to "lighten the load" you can leave out the diamond plates, trimming 75lbs. Also, I can cover the self bailing holes and increase the load capacity, of-course this increases the draft.

The reason I asked was I was really hoping to float hunt out of it as well...Problem...I have NO back country river boating/rafting experience. A couple friends do, but not me. We thought about possibly taking a 2nd raft to haul gear and meat, while the boat hunted and fished along. The smaller boat would be in radio contact, hailing us to hazards in the river. It can take a 10hp motor.

I'm not even sure what rivers I could float? Any suggestions?
    Lots to ponder...I'm enjoying it thoroughly!!

Jon...

Default Pick Wisely

I would think rivers like the Goodnews and similar rivers would lend them-selves to floating the rig for a multi purpose trip. Those rivers such as the Aniak, upper Holitna, Chena, Wood River Alaska Range are a no go IMO. Simple Statement! Stay out of rivers that have known log jams and extensive Sleepers, Sweepers and Strainers with the thing. I point this out not to say the boat will not handle just that in a lot of places you have to Pack around certain obstacles float hunting and Sir that Boat is not a viable option to do such.

Again Just food for thought.

A Beaver on floats packs a 1200# load, and when 1 raft is 1/4 of that...

Like 'Moose said, there are a select few rivers where that rig would be usable, and all of them are extremely popular trips, meaning you won't be alone. If you are looking to get off the beaten path and away from the crowds, well, no offense, but that isn't the raft I'd have anywhere on a list of craft I would do it in.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

For those who would like to try it before they buy it (or even make informed comments), AR&K has one available for rent. It's been set up on a trailer in their parking lot since the last GASS.

The owner says that it takes about an hour to assemble, so, I'll take that as a good estimate, rather than others' multi-hour guess-timates. I don't know if I'd want to build it from scratch, everytime that I wanted to go fishing? But then again, almost every cat-a-raft that I see, spends most of it's time on a flat-bed trailer, too. Yet, everyone considers cat-a-rafts to be great "fly-out boats".

What a lot of "fly-out capable" inflatables are actually good for, is compact winter storage, for those that don't have the space to park a boat near their house all winter long. Maybe they only need to get it out to their bush cabin once a year, or even only once and then store it out there forever. Before you dismiss it as a true fly-out boat, consider that if you'd wanted get a real driftboat way out yonder, how much trouble it would be to get a 17' Hyde or other "hard boat" delivered there.

Sure is nice to have so many choices available these days!
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.