Thread: First black bear - .270 load

Default First black bear - .270 load

Since I have not been here a year yet my hunting this year will be limited to blackies, caribou and moose. I already have a .270 and 25-06 so I have decided to make that work for this year and get a .338 for next years resident hunts. That being said, the largest and best shooting load I have ever worked up for my .270 is 130 grain Nosler BT with 55 grains of IMR 4350. I definitely want to go with 150 grain bullets. What bullet/powder combo have you guys had the best luck with for blackies? Thanks for any help in advance!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thumbs up RL 22 @ 150 Nos Part

I suggest Reloader 22 @ 58.0 and 150 gr Nosler Part. bullets

Fed 210 Match primers in FC Cases
    Alaska

Default 270

Really very good for what you intend. Since you reload should be able to find a 150 grain load that your gun likes. The 130 gr Nosler Partition will do fine for black bear and caribou and the 150 Partition for moose. If you find a load that is up to your accuracy standards with any of the premium 150s then that would be good to go for all three. Would avoid the Nosler BTs for serious game work.... as accurate as they are they tend to give unpredictable results at higher impact velocities. I have shot and hunted with the 270 a lot. One thing I've found is: getting the 150s to shoot as well as the 130s can be tough or frustrating, at least in the rifles I've tried. Some swear by the ballistic tips but at higher impact velocities I've witnessed toooo many problems. Good luck

Default My $.015

If you can find some Nosler 160 partitions, you might consider trying them. I loaded some up last fall in preparation for my unsuccessful moose hunt. For a hunting load at 100 yds, I was 3 shots less than 1 inch, in the rain. Unfortunately I am away from home (and my reloading info) until Oct, but I got my load from Speer #13. I am pretty sure I used H4831, but the charge (somewhere near the middle between min and max) escapes me. Unfortunately the only thing I shot with it was paper and rocks. COL is a little bit of an issue, the way I remember, as these buggers are pretty long.

The 150 Partition is a very good choice. I use the old surplus 4831, and from what I know of R22, that would be my choice if I didn't have it.

Black bear are basically easy to kill. Light bullets are just fine broadside, but heavier, well built bullets allow you to shoot from more angles if that's important to you. Heck I killed one with a 257 Roberts and the 115 Partition on a broadside shot, so your 25-06 would do just fine with the same bullet. But I sure wouldn't try raking shots with it.

Default IMR 7828 and 150 Grand Slams

This combination gives me just shy of 3000 fps in MY .270's, a pre-64 M70 and a 1954 type Husqvarna, both with 24" tubes and well broken in, and gives me just under an inch for five rounds at a hundred yards.
    It takes elk very nicely.

I'd run 130gr Barnes TSX's and never look back.

Avoid the 130 Bt. The work well out past 200 yds. But if you make a close shot they explode. In ideal conditions Black bear are easy to kill. But in less than ideal conditions,they are still tough bears and up close, with the velocity of a .270 you should use partition or other premium bullet.

160 partition and H4831 to about 2750
    150 partition to about 2900 I have not used these but those who do swear by them
    140 partition, my favourite, with 57.5 Imr 4350 to 2950fps.

Thumbs up Good Bullet

When going to smaller cal very important to use a good bullet.......the

Barnes TSX in 140gr
    Nosler 150gr Accubond or the Part.

Reloader 22

Nosler Partition 150 COL 3.320" Reloder 22 @ 59.0 Fed 210 Match 3000FPS
    Alaska