Thread: Haul road November 9,10,11

Default Haul road November 9,10,11

Looking for a partner to head up the haul road with 9,10,11. Tried to do it last weekend but partner fell through. I'm military so i only have those three days. Going to rent an arctic oven and try to fill the freezer let me know if your interested. Got my bow and bow certification looking to do a bow hunt.

Pretty short days like 4 1/2 hours
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...&afl=-11&day=1

got to admitt I never thought about that, but 4 1/2 hours is better than siiting home I guess.

I don't think I can send PM's - but if you can, send me one....

Your days should be longer than that. It'll be light quite a while before the sun actually rises. Check out my thread from last year, my wife killed an awesome bull on November 1st. The hunt is totally doable but the days are getting short fast. It's a lot of down time in the tent.

Bulls are also dropping their antlers that first week or two of November. My wife's wasn't too far off and I know another hunter that shot one on the 4th a couple years ago and when it dropped, the antlers popped off.

Wish I could swing it!

I would like to go I have my bow certification . I am new to Fairbanks only have been up here 6 weeks. I have been wanting to get out and get some meat instead of staying home . Can a nonresident still get a tag this time of the year .

Quote Originally Posted by uh60baldwin View Post
    I would like to go I have my bow certification . I am new to Fairbanks only have been up here 6 weeks. I have been wanting to get out and get some meat instead of staying home . Can a nonresident still get a tag this time of the year .
    Looks like ya just missed it (sep 30)

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 5.54.13 AM.jpg

Look again shimano. Unit 26C has a non-resident close date of September 30th. Unit 26B on the Haul Road season for Both non-res and resident closes on the 30th of April, or the 15th of May, or never.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Look again shimano. Unit 26C has a non-resident close date of September 30th. Unit 26B on the Haul Road season for Both non-res and resident closes on the 30th of April, or the 15th of May, or never.
    Looks like its obvious I haven't had enough coffee this morning. Thanks for the correction Jerod!

As for the length of the day, we just returned from Galbreith....we were hunting about 12 hours per day, about 8AM - 8PM.

My friends just got back on Monday, killed 11 bou in 3 days out of 12 hunters. Said there was a heard of nearly 500 when they pulled up to Gailbraith lake. The bow hunters in the group tried for all 3 days to stalk into shooting distance on multiple herds but the herds were very good about keeping "scouts" on the lookout. One bow hunter got a shot off by having guys "punch the herd towards him while he laid and waited in an ambush type position which happened to be nothing more than a small ravine that kept him concealed. The rifle hunters all just made the 5 mile walk using snowshoes and pulling sleds. Said there was more bou than you could shake a stick at. The problem they ran into is if they shot more than 2 it made the sleds to heavy to drag back to the trucks. If it weren't for that they would have been able to get they're limits. All hunters were wearing the issued over whites which I'm sure too probably have, they work great so I would use them if I were you. VB boots also were perfect when snowshoeing. If you take the road at the end of the landing strip at Gailbraith lake you can cut a couple miles off the walk if you decide you want to use a rifle. The worst part for us is the 17 hour drive from Anchorage (that's with good weather) and no accidents on the haul road. They waited 7 hours on the road due to a jack knifed semi. Bring a CB radio if you can, that's about the only form of communication if something happens. You can talk to the truck, they're normally really friendly. Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD