Thread: Minto flats managment area

Default Minto flats managment area

Anyone have any information on this area. Taking the wheeler out this weeken to see if I can't find a moose. Empty freezer despite my many failed attempts this year. I know the refuge is off limits to wheelers but as far as I have researched the managment area is open which covers the northern edge of minto. Is it worth heading up that way?

I don't have the regs in front of me at the moment but isn't moose season over up there? I know there is a cow hunt sometime but I think that's in December

RM785, One antlerless moose by permit available in person in Fairbanks beginning Sept 11. Open Oct 15 through Feb 28
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

And yes it's worth going. I grew up hunting there. Fair amount of moose. Never hunted this late though so couldn't give you an address. Get high and glass, glass, glass. Be careful that you know the boundaries of the Management Area and the State Game Refuge.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

The state game refuge covers most of the management area. The refuge is currently closed to wheelers and snogos..........it's been 40 above most days. A boat would be better so far.
    I think you can access the management area off the Elliot with a wheeler, but only so far. Call F&G in Fbks to get the low down on the area.
    Good moose pop there. Plenty of cows.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I also believe that you can not use an ATV in the Minto Flats Management area at this time. Later in the year the state my give the public permits to use them but unless it's on private inholdings inside the management areas they are illegal. Check with Fish and Game to confirm though!!

Check out this link and go to the minto flats management plan. Then page 12

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...managementplan

I would check the Doyon website and become familiar with the native lands in the area as well. There is A LOT of native land up that way and none of it is posted. There are some trails that drop in to the flats from the Elliot (west of Livengood). Some cut through native lands and some do not. I believe a trail starts from Browns lake that goes in to the management area that does not cut through native land, but double check. We have been hunting up there the past 4 years during the regular season. last year I got very lucky and shot a nice meat bull having only seen 2 moose the entire week. This year I drew an antlerless permit and shot one the 2nd night we were there. it was the only moose we saw within reasonable range in 10 days. There just wasn't any moose around. We were not hunting down in the flats, so perhaps they were all down there!!

Judd, sounds like a friend & I were in the same area for the 1st time this year. We were focusing between Livengood & about mp 100 although we did some roadhunting up to Manley & behind Eureka too learning the area. In a week we saw a total of 4 moose in the area including a nice meat bull I was blessed with. Friends that hunt the area say the numbers were WAY down this year. Is that your observation too? This was NOT a normal year?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'm thinking of trying this hunt this weekend by boating down down the Tanana to Swaneck slough. It looks like an hour and a half trip from Nenana. Has anyone put in there or spent time on the river recently? how is the water level for a propped boat?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Judd, sounds like a friend & I were in the same area for the 1st time this year. We were focusing between Livengood & about mp 100 although we did some roadhunting up to Manley & behind Eureka too learning the area. In a week we saw a total of 4 moose in the area including a nice meat bull I was blessed with. Friends that hunt the area say the numbers were WAY down this year. Is that your observation too? This was NOT a normal year?
    not a normal year seems to be the standard for the interior this year.. late spring, late calf's, late velvet shed, late rut, LATE LATE leaf drop,late to rutting grounds.. speculation is things were late to happen this year. just like Vance, was LATE incoming to see me.. -_-
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not a normal year seems to be the standard for the interior this year.. late spring, late calf's, late velvet shed, late rut, LATE LATE leaf drop,late to rutting grounds.. speculation is things were late to happen this year. just like Vance, was LATE incoming to see me.. -_-
    Hey my friend! Good to read your friendly voice!
    I was but a guest & a passenger on this trip & we went thru your country in the dark both ways & didn't stop in town other than for fuel!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yes, Vance. Last couple years not "normal". An any bull area combined with lots of antler-less permits and lots of hunters seem to be thinning things out a little (In my opinion). It has been good to us in the past...and I do consider this an "easy" hunt. I certainly can't complain. But seeing only a few moose in 10 days has got me looking elsewhere. Time to bust out the Wooldridge and hit the rivers!

Quote Originally Posted by redmammoth View Post
    I'm thinking of trying this hunt this weekend by boating down down the Tanana to Swaneck slough. It looks like an hour and a half trip from Nenana. Has anyone put in there or spent time on the river recently? how is the water level for a propped boat?
    I am not up on current water levels, but would have my doubts about getting through Swanneck w/ prop. Most likely would have to go to the Tolo, I would think there would be plenty of water for a prop that way.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I am not up on current water levels, but would have my doubts about getting through Swanneck w/ prop. Most likely would have to go to the Tolo, I would think there would be plenty of water for a prop that way.
    Yep, we made it down the slough a little ways and then had a lot of trouble coming out. It was a beutiful weekend to be out hunting with warm temps during the day and a full moon at night. But unfortunately we came back empty handed.