Thread: Sling, arrow protection etc. for Southeast blacktail hunting

Default Sling, arrow protection etc. for Southeast blacktail hunting

Hey Folks

I am firing up the bow for an upcoming POW blacktail hunt and am curious as to what you guys use to carry your bow when climbing/bushwacking etc. and what you use to protect your fletching when traversing the wonderful vertical jungle that is Southeast Alaska?

Thanks in advance.

I like the game plan gear bow sling. Simple yet effective. I use blazers so don't protect my vanes in any way. I'm much more concerned about losing arrows than damaging them.

If I have a lot of climbing to do before I start hunting, I'll put the bow on a pack. I would think for POW this time of year, you will just want to carry your bow, there should be plenty of harvestable animals coming down lower in the next couple weeks. If you get into one of our wonderful blueberry patches, you'll probably want to hold your bow over the top of them rather than have it in a sling or on your back. If it's on your back, you won't notice your arrows being pulled out of your quiver as you go, and a compound bow raking along bushes sounds like a banjo.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    If I have a lot of climbing to do before I start hunting, I'll put the bow on a pack. I would think for POW this time of year, you will just want to carry your bow, there should be plenty of harvestable animals coming down lower in the next couple weeks. If you get into one of our wonderful blueberry patches, you'll probably want to hold your bow over the top of them rather than have it in a sling or on your back. If it's on your back, you won't notice your arrows being pulled out of your quiver as you go, and a compound bow raking along bushes sounds like a banjo.
    Good point, but beyond this hunt I scramble around a lot on the Juneau road system, and depending on snow I've been at 1600-1800 feet on Thanksgiving Day to get into sign worth hunting in. So, even if not required for the upcoming hunt, what are suggestions for carrying compound bows around. I know even with my rifle I would be unlikely to navigate up much less down the mountain when traversing with it in my hands.

So when you say you put it on a pack.....do you just strap it on and then unstrap when it's hunting time? Camstraps? what's your preference.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Game gear. You can shoot with it on or removes easily. Posts attach to riser with rubber adjustable straps that don't scratch the finish. Best there is

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Badlands Day pack that has a couple straps on the back to attach a bow for shorter day hunts. If I'm going farther in and will have to bone and pack the deer, I have a Horn Hunter combo pack, also with bow straps on it. Sometimes the deer will surprise you, but you'll usually know when its time to start your hunt and pull your bow off the pack. I like a pack with three straps so I can get the strings/riser with the top and bottom while the mid strap goes around my quiver to keep the arrow retained. You just have to be careful when you sit down or if you are on a steep decent or stepping down off a log. I know I can move through southeast a lot better with both hands available for the scramble.

The slings seem like a good choice too, but I've usually got my pack on anyway so I use the system built into that.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I used a Bow Sling on Etolin. I'd leave it on to protect the cams even when lashed to the pack. Your right about needing both hands. Good luck on your deer hunt.

For my fletching cover I used a neck gaitor, then stapled it to fit, it is put under the arrow shaft to hold it in place, works great. A little trial and error at home and it fits great. I always carry my bow by the string or handle, or strapped to the back of my pack with 3 straps for moving long distances.