Thread: fishergirl

Question fishergirl

Have been reading the forum for over a yr. Found it interesting and now that I have joined maybe I can get some info. We will be looking for a charter for Kings & Hallibut. Any good recomendations from the locals? Is it better to get a separate charter or a combo? If separate, guess I will let husband take care of the Kings. Seward or Homer?? Will be in Peter's Creek July 1st to Aug. 6th.

If you get a combo make sure the captain is willing to dedicate time to salmon. Some only give a half harted effort.
    I took a charter once that was supposed to be a combo but the captain said his fuel consumption was eating into his profit so he stopped after about 1/2 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    If you get a combo make sure the captain is willing to dedicate time to salmon. Some only give a half harted effort.
    I took a charter once that was supposed to be a combo but the captain said his fuel consumption was eating into his profit so he stopped after about 1/2 hour.
    I think I would have demanded he stay. If not a refund! I am hearing alot of these type of stories and guides have better wake up or they will cut the throats of the guides out there that really work hard.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Sounds like the separate charters would be the best. Thanks.

Default to combo or not to combo?

This is a tricky question...

Many charters will charge a higher price for combo trips because it does cost more in fuel expense. Certainly if you are paying a premium for a combo trip, insisting on a better effort would be justified.

I am not as familiar with king fishing out of Seward, but Ninilchik charters will typically fish an hour before the high tide and then chase the slack to deeper water (slack water is later further out in the inlet) to fish for halibut. Generally speaking, there is plenty of time for combo fishing.

I would suggest that you pay close attention to the timing of the run. If you are paying a premium for a combo trip and it is after the run.... I can see an unscrupulous captain giving an obligatory effort and then moving on...

During the last 2 weeks of July, I would encourage you to look at separate charters. The Kenai and Kasilof will both be peaking and producing great fish; likewise, Kachemak Bay and Cook Inlet will be producing great halibut fishing.

On the other hand, silver salmon/halibut/ling combos are going really great during the last 2 weeks of July out of Seward.

There are a number of reputable charters out of Ninilchik, Homer and Seward. Feel free to send PM or EM if you would like some recommendations.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info---Husband & I both appreciate it.

Combo trips are often dictated by the tides on that day. You need to discuss it with your charter operator.

Ninilchik and Anchor Point have lots of excellent combo trip charter operators. Their proximity to the beaches makes trolling pretty handy. Certainly more so than the Homer operators. Depending on when in July and the timing of the runs you may be chasing silvers rather than kings.

I've got to agree with Mr. Pid (Did I say that??) He's right, the combo trips out of Deep Creek/Ninilick seem to have more success and they can troll with in 30 minutes or so of launching. It needs to be a full day charter and make sure it is. I booked a full day only to find out the operator was doing two a days because of weather cancellations. That will give time before or after the halibut to dedicate for the salmon.