Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Fixing Moose Antlers

  1. #1

    Default Fixing Moose Antlers

    This is my little brothers bull from a few years ago. He was a bonehead and let them get chewed on by a dog and left out in the weather. He is away at school right now, and I was hoping to try and fix them up and mount them on a plaque for him for christmas. I have some Aves Apoxie Sculpt I was planning on using to fix were the dog chewed them up. I also have some Potassium Permanganate for staining the antlers. I am assuming I am going need to get some of the pink and green cleaned up and or bleached? I was hoping for a little insight into weather I need to do that before I stain with the KMNO4 and if so, how I should go about doing it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.






  2. #2
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Don't use bleach! Get yourself some peroxide instead, the kind from the hair salon that turns little ole ladies hair white is the best. Follow the directions on the bottle, use gloves as you don't want it on your skin, and don't get any in your eye. I would suggest trying to get the color as close to the same as possible before repairing the antler. An 'after your done' pic would be cool. Good luck!
    "Grin and Bear It"

  3. #3
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skudrunner View Post
    This is my little brothers bull from a few years ago. He was a bonehead and let them get chewed on by a dog and left out in the weather. He is away at school right now, and I was hoping to try and fix them up and mount them on a plaque for him for christmas. I have some Aves Apoxie Sculpt I was planning on using to fix were the dog chewed them up. I also have some Potassium Permanganate for staining the antlers. I am assuming I am going need to get some of the pink and green cleaned up and or bleached? I was hoping for a little insight into weather I need to do that before I stain with the KMNO4 and if so, how I should go about doing it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.





    Where are you located? If close by, I could probably swing by and get you pointed in the right direction.

  4. #4
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Where are you located? If close by, I could probably swing by and get you pointed in the right direction.
    That's a very nice offer Frostbitten.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  5. #5

    Default

    That is a very nice offer indeed. Unfortunately i am out in Dillingham. Are you close by? I was wondering about the peroxide. Ill probably have to have my brother pick some up in Anchorage. Any idea if that stuff is hazmat? I am assuming so. Thanks for your responses guys!

  6. #6
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skudrunner View Post
    That is a very nice offer indeed. Unfortunately i am out in Dillingham. Are you close by? I was wondering about the peroxide. Ill probably have to have my brother pick some up in Anchorage. Any idea if that stuff is hazmat? I am assuming so. Thanks for your responses guys!
    Well, I won't be swinging by, but maybe I can help anyways. It appears that the antlers are pretty bleached, I assume more so than when the moose was shot. If you want to restore the rack back to a more original coloration, here's what I would do:

    Go ahead and make all the repairs with apoxie sculpt. Once all repairs are done and the horns are all cleaned up, paint the entire rack with an off-white/bone colored latex paint. After it's completely dry (give it a day or two), start with the KMN04. Be patient on this part...it takes many light coats to get the coloration you want. The KMN04 is an oxidizer, not a stain, so you have to give it time to oxidize between applications, some times a couple hours to a day or so. I use a small spray bottle set on a very fine spray/mist, and a small foam brush with very light pressure to blend it once it's on the horns. Again, patience, patience, patience!!!! Use a very light mist on a small section at a time. If after several applications, there are areas that you don't like (and there will be) it's easy to start over and re-do those areas.

  7. #7

    Default

    I didnt figure you were that close. The rack was actually in velvet when he shot it. So they were pretty white after the velvet was stripped, and sitting outside for a while. That sounds like a good plan. Im wondering about one thing though. When you say cleaned up are you implying with peroxide? Here he was in velvet.


  8. #8
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skudrunner View Post
    I didnt figure you were that close. The rack was actually in velvet when he shot it. So they were pretty white after the velvet was stripped, and sitting outside for a while. That sounds like a good plan. Im wondering about one thing though. When you say cleaned up are you implying with peroxide? Here he was in velvet.

    No need to peroxide it. I was just meaning to make sure all the grass/hide/whatever is cleaned so you can paint it.

  9. #9

    Default

    You have some really good advice. I might add just one little tip. If you add just a pinch of clay (like potters clay) to your apoxy before you start fixing
    the antlers, the texture of the antler and the repair will blend in better. It will also take paint or stain better too without being to shiny. By pinch I mean about a pea size ball of clay to a golf ball size of apoxy.

  10. #10
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Leave the bullet hole,, it adds character..
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  11. #11

    Default

    The bulett hole is pretty cool. He took a running follow up shot on him in some thick stuff. It turns out it wasnt needed as his inital shot was fatal. He only ran about 40 yards as I recall.

  12. #12

    Default

    Ill see if I can get ahold of some clay. Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

  13. #13
    Member Hughiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Or use Apoxie Clay as opposed to Apoxie Sculpt. It wont dry "shiny" like Apoxie Scuplt does. Most taxi supply companies carry it.

  14. #14
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Adding clay is good advice if you are touching up a small area, but if you plan to paint the entire rack anyways, it won't matter. By the way, use a matte or flat paint, not a gloss paint.

  15. #15
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    I'm really looking forward to some pics of your finished 'painted antler' project.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  16. #16
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Maybe Frostbitten would care to submit a few photos of the antlers that he has done in this method...that would be great.
    "Grin and Bear It"

  17. #17
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Maybe Frostbitten would care to submit a few photos of the antlers that he has done in this method...that would be great.
    I'll post a pic or two this afternoon.

  18. #18
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I'll post a pic or two this afternoon.
    Thanks!
    "Grin and Bear It"

  19. #19
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default refinished antlers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Thanks!
    Here ya go. I took these pics last night, and the lighting in that room sucks. Maybe I'll try again when there's more natural light. Anyways, these horns were in velvet when I shot the critter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    I appreciate the pics Frostbitten, that bou rack turned out very nice!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •